Is there an Expats lobby group to help Expats in Thailand

thhMan

There are many immigrant advocate groups, and rightly so, in other countries where, by and large, the immigrants come from the wretched poverty of their own backward and oppressive countries to try and better themselves in rich and powerful countries with heaps of opportunities.

Now we have the case where wealthy, entitled people leave their bizzilion (dollar, pound, euro, kroner) GNP nations and come to a backward country where there is mind numbing poverty and limited opportunities only to start pounding on the table and demanding their "rights".

Sorry. I have no pity for them.

I've forgotten who I copied this from but I think it's more than a conjecture:

"As I said on another thread, maybe the Thai's have seen the state of most Western Countries and are determined not to go down the same route."

Amen.

'nuff said

~

• Like 2

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your sentiments are fine,but unrealistic.consider yourself lucky they've let you in.Go down to your local bar and sip a chang and enjoy the view!tongue.png

Unfortunately, that sort of mentality wont solve any issues, neither is the mocking remark prior to your post.

I dont drink, dont play the fields and instead have 2 children in Thailand and have a wonderful wife that I met the first month I was here. That was eight years ago and would like to be able to buy some land and build a house in my name.

I would also like to open up a small business in my name and just build a future for my kids. To this day, my wife still doesnt understand why there is always immigration involved in our lives and neither does a few close Thai friends.

Nothing is for certain and I would like to have land in my name, should something tragic happen to my wife or circumstances change. As a husband, I take care of her and should I meet a tragic end or circumstances change, then she is ok and so are my children.

I am not retired and I have worked those 8 years, slowly building up my families finances and putting my kids into better schools along the way.

I would be very happy to start a small business and have the opportunity to leave it to my children to take over when they are ready. The same goes for a home and everything else we as a family have worked so hard to obtain.

Seems to me the only problem you have is yourself. I I I I and on it went.

Buy property and start a business in your wife and kids names. Problem solved.

You do trust them don't you?

your sentiments are fine,but unrealistic.consider yourself lucky they've let you in.Go down to your local bar and sip a chang and enjoy the view!tongue.png

Unfortunately, that sort of mentality wont solve any issues, neither is the mocking remark prior to your post.

I dont drink, dont play the fields and instead have 2 children in Thailand and have a wonderful wife that I met the first month I was here. That was eight years ago and would like to be able to buy some land and build a house in my name.

I would also like to open up a small business in my name and just build a future for my kids. To this day, my wife still doesnt understand why there is always immigration involved in our lives and neither does a few close Thai friends.

Nothing is for certain and I would like to have land in my name, should something tragic happen to my wife or circumstances change. As a husband, I take care of her and should I meet a tragic end or circumstances change, then she is ok and so are my children.

I am not retired and I have worked those 8 years, slowly building up my families finances and putting my kids into better schools along the way.

I would be very happy to start a small business and have the opportunity to leave it to my children to take over when they are ready. The same goes for a home and everything else we as a family have worked so hard to obtain.

Well put friend.

I belong to an expats club here in Pattaya and have participated in a large meeting at city hall that gave expats an open-mic opportunity to voice concerns, ask questions and receive answers from the Mayor, police and other officials.

Belonging to such a large and diverse group has given me the opportunity to network, share ideas and work on possible solutions to various issues concerning expats.

Those that opt to sit on a bar stool and negatively commiserate the status quo have that right, just as they have the right to make flippant and uncivil remarks on this forum.

The difference is that they are irrelevant and eventually will go away, either in a wooden box or via an airliner.

Seems to me the only problem you have is yourself. I I I I and on it went.

Buy property and start a business in your wife and kids names. Problem solved.

You do trust them don't you?

Thank you Doctor Freud for the diagnosis of what problems others may have.

Buying property, starting a business, etc. is a personal choice and I wouldn't dare assume that I know anything about someone I've never met. It's their life and none of my business.

Trust is an interesting topic. It's a concept that is degraded by those that may have made poor choices in the past and suffered as a result. Often their platform is to spread their unfortunate experiences with a broad and generous shovel.

I haven't read the entire thread, but the way ahead is for Thai wives to insist upon equality for their spouses once ASEAN kicks in. Their starting point should be an insistance on parity with Thai males married to foreign women who are currently exempt from....

38322_p.jpg

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

Can just picture it now, all the grumpy old men full of Alzheimer's marching down sukumvit with their banners, like a scene out of cocoon, half of them hobbling with gout, the other half with a stone in their flip flop, can hear the chant, what do we want? Don't know, when do we want it, want what??

• Like 1

Can just picture it now, all the grumpy old men full of Alzheimer's marching down sukumvit with their banners, like a scene out of cocoon, half of them hobbling with gout, the other half with a stone in their flip flop, can hear the chant, what do we want? Don't know, when do we want it, want what??

There are times I just love the ease of getting a retirement extension. 20 minutes a year. This is one of those times.

post-187908-0-25019900-1408808161_thumb.

I haven't read the entire thread, but the way ahead is for Thai wives to insist upon equality for their spouses once ASEAN kicks in. Their starting point should be an insistance on parity with Thai males married to foreign women who are currently exempt from....

38322_p.jpg

Cant wait for the independant farangistan land of Issan to declare independance from the land of the Thai and revert back to the land of the Khmers.

Ahhh... so you do have a voice in Thailand... that will be your wife's.

Now if your wife (or her extended family) are unwilling to lobby their local gov't representative(s) on your behalf, then what does that say?

P.S. Maybe your wife can organize a Political Action Committee (PAC).

• Like 1

im happy thew way things are,,,,,,,,,

no PAC group for me,,,,

some say youll have to be married first, there will be sham weddings all over the place, same as there was in the uk, when nigerians were paying for a british women to marry then to enable them to get a british pasport,

you can have a business you can have a place to live, i really cant understand all the fuss,,

so what some are saying is that group all falangs together and give one and all the same rights as thais?

i would be more for this if is was going to be worked on an individual basis were you would put across your own case,

you cant just say all falang grouped together,

and im not saying this because im married with kids, but there will be some that you wouldnt to be here,,,,im not going into that ill leave it at that, you all know what i mean

If you want the same rights as a Thai citizen then the answer is to become a Thai citizen. Others on Thaivisa have done it. If you think it's 'too difficult' then you aren't really serious enough about it.

That´s a big hurdle don´t you think? At least some rights should and must be granted through marriage, which is not the case here. And not every country does allow dual citizenship. And who would want to be Thai only?!

To become a Thai citizen you need to have lived and worked there legally for 3 years. You need to pass an exam showing that you can speak Thai to schoolboy level.

To become a British citizen you need to have lived in the UK for 5 years. You need to pass an exam showing that you can speak English. You also need to pass an exam about 'Life in the UK'.

You see, the "work" thing is not so easy for some. My main income is my business back home. For the UK/EU it´s enough when you are with your husband/wife to claim citizenship (which you actually don´t need anyway as the only advantage will be going to elections)

You think that the only advantage of UK citizenship is being able to vote? How about a passport that will get you into any country in the world? How about access to the full range of social, medical and educational services that are on offer?

As long as you are married, isn't the spouse entiteld to the same benefits like healthcare and such? It sure is the case in Germany, can't be much different in the UK? Travelling was never a big deal, Schengen area is easy and other regions never made a big fuzz about giving visas, fortunately.

Thailand will have to adapt its immigration and business rules to the Asean community, sooner or later, if do not want to be discriminated.

What this says, is that you need to go spend some time getting up to speed with ASEAN. As in the context of the current thread, you are completely wrong. I mean so wrong. I don't know where to begin.

I know what the point is you are trying to make, but ASEAN is not about that not even close

Travelling was never a big deal, Schengen area is easy and other regions never made a big fuzz about giving visas, fortunately.

The UK isn't part of the Schengen area. A Thai friend of mine who lives and works legally in the UK had to go to the German Embassy in London and produce all the paperwork and a medical insurance policy to go and watch a couple of Bundesliga matches.

Edited by sustento

You DON'T have to pass a Thai exam.

You DON'T have to work - paying taxes on 40k is enough.

For years, I've heard all this barstool nonsense about how citizenship is impossible. As Sustento points out it's easier than getting British citizenship.

You mention you don't have to work? This is the opposite to what I have learnt, but I am happy to be corrected if you could?

So how do you envisage paying tax on 40k. What business can an expat have without having a work permit? I personally do pay tax on my rental income but sadly that income does not amass to 40k income per month. In the current climate I suspect property investment would need to exceed 10m baht in order to make the kind of monthly income you mention. I

I have a good comfortable UK armed forces pension, but that is taxed at source. All of my income is spent in Thailand on my family, in my local community.

So how do YOU Neeraman pay tax on 40K?

Can I ask a silly question, please?

I live here on a permanent basis. I own my own. I have a satisfactory life here.

What do I need a Thai Citizenship for?

(I would vote for Permanent Residency, for abolition of 90 days reporting, for a legal right to own up to 1 rai of land, for unlimited free going and coming back, for 10 years Retiree visa) ... but Citizenship???

Back to Lobby question.

It is not a bad thing to have some kind of Advisory body to the PM on issues of foreigners in the country. The OP has asked a good question.

Provided it is respected by foreign community, re-elected say every 2-3 years by permanently living here people, and is not a paid job.

Unfortunately, to have such a Lobby, we must first have a Community of foreigners here in Thailand.

All I've seen so far is a loosely knit bunch of very aggressive abusive individuals incapable not only of consensus but of seeing and accepting different points of view.

Now go and blame Thais for not listening to our wishes.

Edited by ABCer

Good grief, you'll be wanting consumer protection and equal rights next!

You haven't been here long, have you!

what he WANTS and what he GETS,are totally DIFFERENT.

can you imagine a room full of expats all speaking a different language and half a dozen bolshy ones thrown in for good measure.facepalm.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

One possibility is to contact your embassy, there might be some kind of association, there used to be an Australian Association, for example.

America has the Treaty Of Amity which gives Americans the right to own a business 100% in Thailand. There is also an American chamber of commerce in Thailand.

Thaivisaforum is the nearest you're going to get.

I clicked on Stickman's site after someone'd posted on here re this topic. He said Thaivisa had missed an oppotunity to form some kind of a lobby group for expats as the forum seemed to mainly consist of self righteousness and schadenfreude. The recent postings on the actual visa section has proved him absolutely bang on coffee1.gif

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

Thaivisaforum is the nearest you're going to get.

I clicked on Stickman's site after someone'd posted on here re this topic. He said Thaivisa had missed an oppotunity to form some kind of a lobby group for expats as the forum seemed to mainly consist of self righteousness and schadenfreude. The recent postings on the actual visa section has proved him absolutely bang on coffee1.gif

Since he didn't post a weekly this week where did you find schadenfreude?

The OP need only read TVF to get his answer.

For every one expat suggesting any improvement there are dozens others shouting him down.

I respectfully disagree. For the most part, most folks, even the most secure in their status, would welcome the improvements.

But the world is the way it is, Thailand included. And wishing it were new and improved doesn't help anyone get what they want. It's not mean. It's actually quite humane.

Lots of helpful tips on how to stay long term and legally get met with "But I don't want to do it that way", or "It's not fair", or "I have better things to do with my money", or even *gasp* the more encouraging "How does that work exactly?".

Rather than a group to lobby for change, I'd suggest a group to support each other in living here within existing rules. Lots of ways to skin the cat. But the best way to learn is from folks (who care) that have already skinned the cat- and consequently, know how.

Sadly, the folks that already skinned the cat don't really get much out of such a group if their entire scope of participation is getting their brain sucked. Best of luck getting past that hurdle. It can be done. It has been done around the world- I've seen it in China. But it's not easy. All participants need to benefit or it doesn't work for long.

Edited by impulse

rolleyes.gif

whistling.gif

smile.png

biggrin.png

laugh.png

cheesy.gif

Your attitude is the one real reason there isn't such a Group......Pathetic mate

at least we know who to blame

Sure, blame away.

I don't live there for the record.

I think the idea is great, but the reality is near impossible sadly.

If it was possible, all you in support would have done it already, or get it happening. If it did happen, I would support you all 100%. I'd love to see it.

@ tthMan

We expats do have rights and we should be lobbying Thailand to allow us those freedoms that many Thais enjoy abroad, because without a voice we are just cattle that can be steered at the whim of the Government or an Individual, when they choose to do so. And perhaps a group can bring more international attention to the human rights aspect of the expat situation in Thailand.

To use the UK as an example. Giving rights to every minority group has led to the current state of the UK and many other Countries. I have to disagree with you, by saying that minority groups should not have a say that is to the detriment of the local population of whichever Country, those minority groups should be made to comply to the laws and customs that Country.

That is not to say that I am unsympathetic to what you are trying to say / do. I too have looked into starting a business here in Thailand, but currently deem it a non starter. I would even happily donate my time, free to the local school, if I did not have to jump through hoops to be able to do so.

In essence, I think we all, or certainly the majority of us knew the score when we decided to set up camp in Thailand. I do not think that we, as foreigners have any right to try and tell the Thai's how to run their Country.

Their Country, their rules and we should respect that.

Agreed... But its now my country... my family.... Im sure there are others here who also believe Thailand is their country.

Things dont change by remaining silent... Thats my point.

Sorry to disagree,but it is not your country.Just because you married a thai lady and have children does n't change anything.They(govt) just dont care.However i agree that rules ought to be more relaxed for expats in your situation.There is one very active expats association and that is "pattaya expats club".....you could start there.I hope this helps.