Is there an Expats lobby group to help Expats in Thailand

thhMan

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One right they do give us all, is the right to leave when and if we have had enough of it,

It,s the same thing in many Asian countrys regarding all the points you have pointed out.

It totaly pisses me off aswell "BUT" thats the way it is....

Excepting our money in the country, but a very complicated exit should we choose to

leave.

It would not hurt to have some representation. But it will take someone with a fire in their belly and access to cash to do it.

We have some basic right in this country, but it would be nice if they could make it a little easier for people here who are in a long term marriage and have kids here.

• Like 1

Have you got any photo's of this Noi character?

No, but she generally is past it it Thai years (over 30) so settles for any old Tony, Dave or Henry. Generally originating in Buriram or other Southern Isarn areas, having dark skin and can be heard saying things such as , "same same, boom boom, poom pui, and ting tong".

• Like 2

Unless you are a citizen of a nation, for the most part the laws and the purpose of government are not there to serve you. And specific to your enquiry, in most countries disposing of property can only be done to a citizen. and by property I mean land.

Singapore is the same, everywhere else I think in this region is pretty closed on that topic.

I think you need to be asking who/where your wife can be lobbying to change the laws regarding your citizenship.

The laws are fair IMHO. Why do they need to be changed?

married

working for 3 years earning 40k +

yellow house book

5000 baht fee

get enough points based on a few reasonable things(age/education/thai proficiency/length of stay in Thailand)

OP, a very good suggestion, you've put forward.

But judging from the posts on TVF, these expats, you are mentioning, don't give a toss about anybody else.

Only interested about themselves and have the cheek to point at the Thais with the me me first culture.

Yes, Thai visa is the only mediator between us and the Thai government.

But again, some members, spoil the whole effort by showing their ignorance and arrogance.

If I was a Thai official, I doubt I would like to help these people.

• Like 1

I think you need to be asking who/where your wife can be lobbying to change the laws regarding your citizenship.

The laws are fair IMHO. Why do they need to be changed?

married

working for 3 years earning 40k +

yellow house book

5000 baht fee

get enough points based on a few reasonable things(age/education/thai proficiency/length of stay in Thailand)

Yes, of course http://www.thaivisa.com/acquiring-thai-nationality.html

The barrier to entry is a little more complicated, than that short checklist would hint at.

EDIT: another example http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562094-another-new-thai-citizen-me/

Edited by jcisco

In every country it's the "local" native resident and the one who can "vote" that changes policy, not the immigrant. Maybe if you spoke to your wife and her relatives and even their friends and encourage them to start a movement to help Ex-pat's who live here and contribute to Thai society. Only then, and a big "maybe" would things get started. We can only provide the idea, they can provided the force behind it. It's their country, they need to be the force behind it. With a new and seemingly more common sense government in place, it may come to being. But....Good luck with that too.

@ tthMan

We expats do have rights and we should be lobbying Thailand to allow us those freedoms that many Thais enjoy abroad, because without a voice we are just cattle that can be steered at the whim of the Government or an Individual, when they choose to do so. And perhaps a group can bring more international attention to the human rights aspect of the expat situation in Thailand.

To use the UK as an example. Giving rights to every minority group has led to the current state of the UK and many other Countries. I have to disagree with you, by saying that minority groups should not have a say that is to the detriment of the local population of whichever Country, those minority groups should be made to comply to the laws and customs that Country.

That is not to say that I am unsympathetic to what you are trying to say / do. I too have looked into starting a business here in Thailand, but currently deem it a non starter. I would even happily donate my time, free to the local school, if I did not have to jump through hoops to be able to do so.

In essence, I think we all, or certainly the majority of us knew the score when we decided to set up camp in Thailand. I do not think that we, as foreigners have any right to try and tell the Thai's how to run their Country.

Their Country, their rules and we should respect that.

Agreed... But its now my country... my family.... Im sure there are others here who also believe Thailand is their country.

Things dont change by remaining silent... Thats my point.

Agreed. With the exception that I see Thailand as my home, I don't think it will ever be my Country, I am not Thai and never will be.

I see your point only too well, and I will concede the point that it is a tad unfair, that a Thai can go to the UK ( for example ) and buy a house / land in their name and we cannot do the same in Thailand.

As I said on another thread, maybe the Thai's have seen the state of other Western Countries and are determined not to go down the same route.

If that is the case, then I can understand the mentality of Thailand being for Thai's, but we will put up with certain others, if we deem them to be of a benefit to Thailand and can meet or exceed certain criteria. Having seen the state the UK has become, actually, I applaud them on their stance. Although, for purely selfish reasons, it would be beneficial for me, you and others if they would change some laws / criteria.

You are correct, things do not change by remaining silent, but sometimes the more noise you make, the deeper others become entrenched.

In every country it's the "local" native resident and the one who can "vote" that changes policy, not the immigrant. Maybe if you spoke to your wife and her relatives and even their friends and encourage them to start a movement to help Ex-pat's who live here and contribute to Thai society. Only then, and a big "maybe" would things get started. We can only provide the idea, they can provided the force behind it. It's their country, they need to be the force behind it. With a new and seemingly more common sense government in place, it may come to being. But....Good luck with that too.

Whould it may be possible to start up electronic patition to show support of such a thing.

Yes, Thai visa is the only mediator between us and the Thai government.

Really?

Well, haven't noticed any other site or forum, that our problems can be made public, in the 7 years I'm here.

Then again, could only be me and my incapability to search for other sites.

• Like 1