New In Pattaya

familyman

Kerry, I was wondering what was taking so long with your response. Now I see, you've been typing.

Hey leave Kerry d alone he was checking to see if the Big Budha was still there for another tread :D:D

I actually did stop what I was doing, hopped on the moto and drove up there. Stopped in the parking lot where I could look up at the Buddha and then drove home. I left the computer on and the various windows open so I wouldn't have to wait to post my response ! (I'm just so ###### dedicated, and have nothing else to do right now !)

And as you can see, I sometimes :o get a little long-winded when typing my responses ! :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kerry, I was wondering what was taking so long with your response. Now I see, you've been typing.

Hey leave Kerry d alone he was checking to see if the Big Budha was still there for another tread :D:D

I actually did stop what I was doing, hopped on the moto and drove up there. Stopped in the parking lot where I could look up at the Buddha and then drove home. I left the computer on and the various windows open so I wouldn't have to wait to post my response ! (I'm just so ###### dedicated, and have nothing else to do right now !)

And as you can see, I sometimes :o get a little long-winded when typing my responses ! :D

I want your job. Where do I apply? :D

Polo Club

Polo Club

Hey ! I don't want to give up my job ! Go find your own !

(for what it's worth, 22 years in the military and 2 years as a civilian in Afghanistan got me this job. Unfortunately, this job doesn't pay as well as the previous jobs, but it does have a lot better "side" benefits !) :o

Meanwhile, instead of worrying about my "job", how about helping the OP out with his question !

I was rather hoping that familyman would give a reason to why he would move his family to Pattaya. To me it would be the last place on earth for a western family to relocate to, particularly if it involved young children being brought up there ! :o

I imagine there is a good reason for it, maybe job relocation or something....

I was rather hoping that familyman would give a reason to why he would move his family to Pattaya. To me it would be the last place on earth for a western family to relocate to, particularly if it involved young children being brought up there ! :D

Job relocation.

In his response to my response, he responded that he had been "warned by my new employer that Pattaya had a reputation for being "seedy" in certain areas". :D

(If you respond to a response, are you responsible for the respondant ?)

Bah, what can't someone ask me if the Blue Lagoon is still located at the Center Condo complex ? :o

I was rather hoping that familyman would give a reason to why he would move his family to Pattaya. To me it would be the last place on earth for a western family to relocate to, particularly if it involved young children being brought up there ! :D

Job relocation.

In his response to my response, he responded that he had been "warned by my new employer that Pattaya had a reputation for being "seedy" in certain areas". :D

(If you respond to a response, are you responsible for the respondant ?)

Bah, what can't someone ask me if the Blue Lagoon is still located at the Center Condo complex ? :o

Ahh, didnt see that bit. Well I suppose work is work and the family have to eat ! As the bar girls in Pattaya like to say !! :D

Ahh, didnt see that bit. Well I suppose work is work and the family have to eat ! As the bar girls in Pattaya like to say !! :o

Bar Girls ?? I don't see any Bar Girls !

All I see is poor, sweet, innocent, lovely Isaan farm girls working to support their families ! :D Speaking of eating..........

Bah, what can't someone ask me if the Blue Lagoon is still located at the Center Condo complex ?

It was still there yesterday...now offering all day breakfast !

Gee, thanks :D

Now I don't have an excuse to hop on the moto to verify it hasn't been moved in the middle of the night to make way for a new "hub of something" in Pattaya. :D

Guess I'll have to go to Big C and see if the escalators are still working. :o

No hard feelings Kerryd :D:o It was just the "what kind of man..." that got me.

To clear up the mystery, we are leaving Spain because wages and working conditions are crap. We are trying Thailand because we wanted to try life outside of Europe, and we found me a job that means we can afford to keep our house here and my wife won't have to work.

My wife has family in Bangkok and they said that Pattaya has quite a reputation but that shouldn't put us off because it has a lot to offer families too. I wanted to know about the family side, which is why I wrote "non seedy" and was unaware of the whole Pattaya Bashers / Trolls thing. I am definitely niether, but I am a Spain basher at the moment if that's okay.

No hard feelings Kerryd :D:D It was just the "what kind of man..." that got me.

To clear up the mystery, we are leaving Spain because wages and working conditions are crap. We are trying Thailand because we wanted to try life outside of Europe, and we found me a job that means we can afford to keep our house here and my wife won't have to work.

:D What are you going to be doing. Believe me unless you are working for a "farang"company seconded to Thailand ie on an expat package, working conditions and wages will make Spain look like... well enough said.

If you have got an expat package then well done :D on expat terms and conditions. Then I would question the wisdom of settling in Pattaya. That is coming from someone who loves Pattaya for all the wrong reasons :o:D However i would not dream of taking my son or daughter there. :D

Edited by maprao

:D What are you going to be doing. Believe me unless you are working for a "farang"company seconded to Thailand ie on an expat package, working conditions and wages will make Spain look like... well enough said.

If you have got an expat package then well done :D on expat terms and conditions. Then I would question the wisdom of settling in Pattaya. That is coming from someone who loves Pattaya for all the wrong reasons :o:D However i would not dream of taking my son or daughter there. :D

I still can’t see why it’s OK for some people to come to Pattaya but not there sons and daughters…are they ashamed?

Mr Familyman…..some rathe disconnected jottings on Pattaya…

I would suggest you rent a nice place (with pool (20 to 50k should do) in or near Pattaya and spend a few months getting to know the place, if your job means you have to live near here there are plenty of options in the hinterland.

Commuting is not that bad when you’ve got used to the way people drive over here….are you British? ‘coz they drive on the left….sometimes….

I would think a car or pickup is essential. Second hand vehicles are relatively expensive but you can buy a new 4 door pickup for about 600,000 baht (900,000 gets you all singing & dancing top-of-the-range 4wd). Many people use a motorbike (100 to 125cc) but they are so dangerous for the inexperienced.

Don’t bother importing any great quantity of your stuff unless the company is prepared to do all the donkey-work and pay all the duties and back-handers. Forget about your car.

The cost of living in Pattaya is low, there’s plenty of different kinds of food…Thai food is wonderful though….plenty of seafood and squid. 2 things I’ve found to be a bit dear are olive oil, I find it almost impossible to find good extra virgin (mostly cheap Spanish brands with Italian names), and wine…a reasonable bottle in a restaurant is 1000 or more. This is not a wine producing country. I think the UK produces more!

Shopping in Pattaya is good for just about anything. There are several large supermarkets in Pattaya…some of them you’ll know…Tesco’s and Carrefour (good French bread and wine?).

Pattaya has 3 large private hospitals, all have good and bad points, and there is also a general hospital to be avoided. Find out what medical cover you have. There is a tendency for the places to take the expensive route or do unnecessary work on well insured patients, but the standard of care is usually OK. Sri Racha, 25 km to the north has better hospitals. (This might be an alternative place to settle - much smaller though). It is worth remembering that you can get really good medical treatment in Thailand and it’s usually very cheap…Bangkok Pattaya is the most expensive in the area.

The infrastructure in Pattaya, Thailand for that matter is rather feeble. When moving into a new property, it’s worth finding out about the utilities, is there mains water or is it a well…is there a storage tank? Supplies can be intermittent; it’s a good idea to have a well too to ensure a more reliable water supply. Electricity is usually OK but buy off the company NOT your landlord. Gas is in bottles only, European kitchens are now the norm in new houses, but look out for the stoves. Check out the wiring and plumbing.

The phone service is a bit weird too TT&T are better than TOT the national old company; find out what kind of internet is available, broadband is not always available and always variable in speed. TT&T and TOT both offer free dial-up but it is SOOO slow.

As soon as you arrive get a pre-pay SIM card for your phone, they are cheap, even for international calls. Don’t be over keen on all the cheap offers, the best net work is “One-to-Call”, the others offer incredibly cheap deals but coverage is less and unreliable.

The minimum wage in Thailand is about 25 baht per hour…so you will probably be able to get afford some home help…don’t pay European type wages, it’s not necessary.

The beaches in Pattaya are not up to much, the sea is rather polluted…how much is unclear….they claim to have cleaned up the water a lot in the last few years…. (Benedorm the old style comes to mind). Neighbouring Jomtien beach looks to be more swimmer-friendly but there is the occasional bout of untreated sewerage there from time to time. You can hire all sorts of water sports stuff, though and it’s all relatively cheap. Off shore there are one or two islands with much nicer beaches, they are easily accessible for a day trip.

The sex trade ripples through the town like veins through a stilton, and in a similar way gives the place its distinctive character. Unlike the red-light areas of Europe and America, they aren’t really sleazy, mainly it consists of small open bars where (middle-aged) men sit drinking beer and talking to the “bar-girls”. If a tryst is arranged it will take place I one of the hundreds of hotels, there is very little open display of lewdness as this is not approved of in Thailand. The “Go-go Bars” are behind closed doors and have naked or semi naked girls pole dancing or rather holding a pole and swaying to music. You and your family would not be admitted to a Go-go bar. If you went to an open beer bar you would be treated as a perfectly ordinary customer and the girls would dote on your children. (they are mostly mothers themselves).

Pattaya is a cheap and in general cheerful town, there are many middle-aged men who have found they can afford to retire here often with a wife half their age, the climate is great, the cost of living cheap, and as for the “seediness” how many men do you know go to Hamburg or Amsterdam and fall in love or find a wife?

My wife has family in Bangkok and they said that Pattaya has quite a reputation but that shouldn't put us off because it has a lot to offer families too. I wanted to know about the family side, which is why I wrote "non seedy" and was unaware of the whole Pattaya Bashers / Trolls thing. I am definitely niether, but I am a Spain basher at the moment if that's okay.

:o

How's it going ?

Pattaya can be a great place, single or with family. Plenty of sights/attractions/things to do that the whole family can enjoy.

Almost everything (maybe even more) that a city like Bangkok has to offer, without the smog, traffic and other problems that come with big cities like that.

Pattaya does have a reputation. Can't deny that. I will say that it has been a focus of the local government to change that reputation, and make the city more "family friendly".

When out with the family, you might want to avoid Walking Street (though you should go there at least once to see what it's all about). Beach Road in the evening/night. Most of the sois (streets) that run between #2 Road and Beach Road/Walking Street.

Here is a rather "busy", sort-of-accurate map of Pattaya:

post-16137-1152671239_thumb.jpg

Any idea about where you are going to be living ? (North/Central/South Pattaya, Jomtien, areas nearby) ?

Here is a link to a site that has a satellite pic of Pattaya/Jomtien, with "tags" for various places:

Tagzania - Pattaya - Blues Factory (ignore the tags to the "seedy" spots :D I didn't put them there !)

I was rather hoping that familyman would give a reason to why he would move his family to Pattaya. To me it would be the last place on earth for a western family to relocate to, particularly if it involved young children being brought up there ! :o

This is typical of people that fail to realize that there are thousands of people, western and Thai that live in the Pattaya area and have nothing to do with either tourism or the sex trade. I wonder if they have ever been to the Rayong or Sri Racha area and see the very large industrial areas that employee far more women then work in all the bars in Pattaya.

As has been said by many, it is very easy to live in the Pattaya area and avoid the scene that most people think of Pattaya.

I suspect there will be even more expats (and Thais) moving to the area in the next year, as we are in the early stages of rather large expansion in both Sri Racha and Rayong. There is at least 6 major plants ($200-400+ million each) being built or planned over the next 4 years. Virtually all will be built by large MNC engineering and construction companies (admittedly, at least a couple by Japanese, Korean, or Chinese companies).

TH

This is typical of people that fail to realize that there are thousands of people, western and Thai that live in the Pattaya area and have nothing to do with either tourism or the sex trade. I wonder if they have ever been to the Rayong or Sri Racha area and see the very large industrial areas that employee far more women then work in all the bars in Pattaya.

As has been said by many, it is very easy to live in the Pattaya area and avoid the scene that most people think of Pattaya.

I suspect there will be even more expats (and Thais) moving to the area in the next year, as we are in the early stages of rather large expansion in both Sri Racha and Rayong. There is at least 6 major plants ($200-400+ million each) being built or planned over the next 4 years. Virtually all will be built by large MNC engineering and construction companies (admittedly, at least a couple by Japanese, Korean, or Chinese companies).

TH

I second this. I work in the auto industry and spend a lot of time in Pattaya and Rayong touring assembly plants and suppliers plants. I have seen the the majority of workers are female, live in the Pattaya area, and have nothing to do with the other industry. All of the Thais that I know are very respectable and very good friends of mine. Just great people. We have never even discussed the other industry. Also, I see all the new corporate construction and I do belive that the area will continue to grow.

Mr Familyman…..some rathe disconnected jottings on Pattaya…

I would suggest you rent a nice place (with pool (20 to 50k should do) in or near Pattaya and spend a few months getting to know the place, if your job means you have to live near here there are plenty of options in the hinterland.

Commuting is not that bad when you’ve got used to the way people drive over here….are you British? ‘coz they drive on the left….sometimes….

I would think a car or pickup is essential. Second hand vehicles are relatively expensive but you can buy a new 4 door pickup for about 600,000 baht (900,000 gets you all singing & dancing top-of-the-range 4wd). Many people use a motorbike (100 to 125cc) but they are so dangerous for the inexperienced.

Don’t bother importing any great quantity of your stuff unless the company is prepared to do all the donkey-work and pay all the duties and back-handers. Forget about your car.

The cost of living in Pattaya is low, there’s plenty of different kinds of food…Thai food is wonderful though….plenty of seafood and squid. 2 things I’ve found to be a bit dear are olive oil, I find it almost impossible to find good extra virgin (mostly cheap Spanish brands with Italian names), and wine…a reasonable bottle in a restaurant is 1000 or more. This is not a wine producing country. I think the UK produces more!

Shopping in Pattaya is good for just about anything. There are several large supermarkets in Pattaya…some of them you’ll know…Tesco’s and Carrefour (good French bread and wine?).

Pattaya has 3 large private hospitals, all have good and bad points, and there is also a general hospital to be avoided. Find out what medical cover you have. There is a tendency for the places to take the expensive route or do unnecessary work on well insured patients, but the standard of care is usually OK. Sri Racha, 25 km to the north has better hospitals. (This might be an alternative place to settle - much smaller though). It is worth remembering that you can get really good medical treatment in Thailand and it’s usually very cheap…Bangkok Pattaya is the most expensive in the area.

The infrastructure in Pattaya, Thailand for that matter is rather feeble. When moving into a new property, it’s worth finding out about the utilities, is there mains water or is it a well…is there a storage tank? Supplies can be intermittent; it’s a good idea to have a well too to ensure a more reliable water supply. Electricity is usually OK but buy off the company NOT your landlord. Gas is in bottles only, European kitchens are now the norm in new houses, but look out for the stoves. Check out the wiring and plumbing.

The phone service is a bit weird too TT&T are better than TOT the national old company; find out what kind of internet is available, broadband is not always available and always variable in speed. TT&T and TOT both offer free dial-up but it is SOOO slow.

As soon as you arrive get a pre-pay SIM card for your phone, they are cheap, even for international calls. Don’t be over keen on all the cheap offers, the best net work is “One-to-Call”, the others offer incredibly cheap deals but coverage is less and unreliable.

The minimum wage in Thailand is about 25 baht per hour…so you will probably be able to get afford some home help…don’t pay European type wages, it’s not necessary.

The beaches in Pattaya are not up to much, the sea is rather polluted…how much is unclear….they claim to have cleaned up the water a lot in the last few years…. (Benedorm the old style comes to mind). Neighbouring Jomtien beach looks to be more swimmer-friendly but there is the occasional bout of untreated sewerage there from time to time. You can hire all sorts of water sports stuff, though and it’s all relatively cheap. Off shore there are one or two islands with much nicer beaches, they are easily accessible for a day trip.

The sex trade ripples through the town like veins through a stilton, and in a similar way gives the place its distinctive character. Unlike the red-light areas of Europe and America, they aren’t really sleazy, mainly it consists of small open bars where (middle-aged) men sit drinking beer and talking to the “bar-girls”. If a tryst is arranged it will take place I one of the hundreds of hotels, there is very little open display of lewdness as this is not approved of in Thailand. The “Go-go Bars” are behind closed doors and have naked or semi naked girls pole dancing or rather holding a pole and swaying to music. You and your family would not be admitted to a Go-go bar. If you went to an open beer bar you would be treated as a perfectly ordinary customer and the girls would dote on your children. (they are mostly mothers themselves).

Pattaya is a cheap and in general cheerful town, there are many middle-aged men who have found they can afford to retire here often with a wife half their age, the climate is great, the cost of living cheap, and as for the “seediness” how many men do you know go to Hamburg or Amsterdam and fall in love or find a wife?

Wilko, your disconected jottings are extremely erudite and comprehensive.

Very good post :o

I have nothing worthwhile to add, but being picky I will debate one inconsequential point,

There is in fact a wine industry in Thailand, and by all accounts is of pretty good quality - both white and red. The main wine growing regions are Kaeo Yai and Loei, where the climate is most suitable.

Both Kaeo Yai wine and Chateau Loei wine is available in BKK wine shops and supermarkets, but I have not seen it in Pattaya. I have tried some and found it extremely palatable, but I am by no means an expert. The price range is roughly in the high hundreds of baht - maybe 600 - 800 oer bottle, from memory.

The problem with Thai wine is a typical Thai problem. All wine made here is slapped with the same tax as imported wine, which makes it relatively expensive and out of reach for most Thais - hence not a geat deal is produced. (I once has some Kaeo Yai wine in a kaeo Yai restaurant, and the next day scoured the Kaeo Yai stores to buy a bottle, without success. )

The reason for the high tax?

A few years ago wine started to become quite popular amongst the middle classes so the beer and whisky guys started to get worried about their profits. So they lobbied the government, and got this high tax levied - not only on imports but on local produce as well. Since then there have been countless appeals, imploring the government to cut the tax on local wine and encourage the industry to develop, but I'm afraid the beer and liquor giants have too much influence.

So if it wasn't for a few , rich greedy bars..ds that are intent on getting even richer, we could all be sipping locally produced , very palatbale wine at probably around 100 Baht a bottle.

Very sad, but TIT :D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

[

Wilko, your disconected jottings are extremely erudite and comprehensive.

Very good post :o

I have nothing worthwhile to add, but being picky I will debate one inconsequential point,

There is in fact a wine industry in Thailand, and by all accounts is of pretty good quality - both white and red. The main wine growing regions are Kaeo Yai and Loei, where the climate is most suitable.

Both Kaeo Yai wine and Chateau Loei wine is available in BKK wine shops and supermarkets, but I have not seen it in Pattaya. I have tried some and found it extremely palatable, but I am by no means an expert. The price range is roughly in the high hundreds of baht - maybe 600 - 800 oer bottle, from memory.

The problem with Thai wine is a typical Thai problem. All wine made here is slapped with the same tax as imported wine, which makes it relatively expensive and out of reach for most Thais - hence not a geat deal is produced. (I once has some Kaeo Yai wine in a kaeo Yai restaurant, and the next day scoured the Kaeo Yai stores to buy a bottle, without success. )

The reason for the high tax?

A few years ago wine started to become quite popular amongst the middle classes so the beer and whisky guys started to get worried about their profits. So they lobbied the government, and got this high tax levied - not only on imports but on local produce as well. Since then there have been countless appeals, imploring the government to cut the tax on local wine and encourage the industry to develop, but I'm afraid the beer and liquor giants have too much influence.

So if it wasn't for a few , rich greedy bars..ds that are intent on getting even richer, we could all be sipping locally produced , very palatbale wine at probably around 100 Baht a bottle.

Very sad, but TIT :D

Thanks...

I did allude to the fact that some wine is grown here, but I have yet to come across one that was drinkable. I've heard that there are some good ones but I haven't tasted one.

Growing wine in the tropics hardly ever seems to be very successful, (v. Queensland versus NSW, Victoria etc) even at high altitudes.

it nevertheless remains the case that to readily get hold of a decent wine you have to buy foriegn.

TH

There seems to be some misconception that Pattaya is the only place in Thailand with a sex industry. Well, I doubt there is a town the length and breadth of thailand - and I have been to quite few - wihtout a sex industry.

Of course, once you move out of farang areas, the sex industry becomes exclusively Thai, but is there never the less. For example, there is a huge area behind a local market in downdtown Ayuddhaya devoted to bars and kareoke joints.

Nearer to home, Sri Racha has literally streets and streets full of Kareoke and other "Japanese" bars, catering to all the resident Japanese that work there.

And anyone living in the main area of Sukhumvit in Bangkok (where many farang families also reside), can't fail to not only see the bars, but also the large number of young Thai ladies escorted by older farang men - on the streets, in the Sky trains, and in the stores, restaurants etc.

OK, Pattaya may be an extreme example, but let's not pretend that the seedy side of Thailand doesn't exist in other towns - and, just like other towns, you can avoid the seedy areas if you really want to.

Thanks...

I did allude to the fact that some wine is grown here, but I have yet to come across one that was drinkable. I've heard that there are some good ones but I haven't tasted one.

Growing wine in the tropics hardly ever seems to be very successful, (v. Queensland versus NSW, Victoria etc) even at high altitudes.

it nevertheless remains the case that to readily get hold of a decent wine you have to buy foriegn.

Next time I'm in BKK I'll pick up a couple of bottles of Thai wine, and one day we'll open them together, and try them. What's your poison? Red or white?

I'm not talking about the cheap sweet crap that the Thais claim is wine - that's undrinkeable. No the stuff I'm referring to is the real thing, and has been given high marks by genuine wine conneseurs - not me! I know nothing :o

Apparently there are areas in the hills/mountains that are ideal for certain types of grapes and these vineyards are in the hands of foreign experts.

It's either Laos or Cambodia - I can't remember which- that has a burgeoning wine export industry - same climatic conditions.

I have built and owned homes in many parts of the world. I have met some decent people in the trade but in reality, one sleeps with one eye open until the deal is done. However, after meeting and contracting with a local man here in Pattaya, my views have changed. Cowboys abound here the same as everwhere else, but when you meet a man of his word, who keeps every promise and never ceases to go the extra mile, it is worthy of comment. I know I have been lucky, but for the new guy coming in, there are people in Pattaya who are honest, hardworking, and as loyal as you would find anywhere in the world. Do not be put off by the wild tales, you never have to take your family to the seedy parts of town as unlike many smaller resorts in the LOS, Pattaya is big enough to have all the facilities your family will need well away from the bits you may not wish them to see. You can not miss the odd beer bar even over the tracks, but so what ? As people have said on this thread the girls in these establishments are fully clothed, in my experience never pushy when a man is with his family and more than willing to talk to, or play the odd game of connect four with the kids, if Dad needs to go to the little boys room, and God help any dirty old man who tried it on, the girls would kill him before you had washed your hands from your ablutions.

TH

But the OP is asking about Pattaya, not Sri Racha or Rayong......

Assuming that the OP got a job in the Eastern Seaboard (otherwise a package better than where the OP is right now is somewhat unlikely), living in Sri Ratcha or Rayong (Ban Chang ain't that bad for instance...) an alternative to look into.

No hard feelings Kerryd :D:o It was just the "what kind of man..." that got me.

Having moved to Thailand myself from Spain I can tell you its certainly a big difference ! No more cold mornings, no more drunken Brits (although there are some), nor more extortionate taxis, high rent, overpriced restaurants, and best of all unlike Spain here you got Boots the chemist !! :D

The only problem you may have is having your missus settle in, Sat afternoons down the hair salon will be a little different from what she has been used to ! :D

:o Thanks for all the info everyone.

To answer a few questions, I seem to have a decent relocation package and accomodation, utilities, etc. are provided for us (so we won't be choosing where we live at first). We also have a small shipping allowance but I don't think we're going to bother using it because most things we've read say import taxes can be a killer. We thought about shipping our car over but read that you can be charged up to twice its value in taxes so we'll have to get one when we arrive. What is public transport like?

If your taking up a position with a work permit - you don not need to worry about under the table payments or taxes - they are waived. The only people that have to pay these are people not coming in on work permits (i.e somebody on retirement visa, marriage visa etc). With a work permit you could bring in a car and it is generally tax free - however nobody bothers - you cant sell it and servicing may be a problem.

Not quite, it is possible bringing in a car as removal good, however, conditions apply and it is quite difficult. If you're planning bringing in used household goods, feel free to pm me, I am in the shipping business and can give you some advise on it.

:o Thanks for all the info everyone.

To answer a few questions, I seem to have a decent relocation package and accomodation, utilities, etc. are provided for us (so we won't be choosing where we live at first). We also have a small shipping allowance but I don't think we're going to bother using it because most things we've read say import taxes can be a killer. We thought about shipping our car over but read that you can be charged up to twice its value in taxes so we'll have to get one when we arrive. What is public transport like?

Public transport is "varied" and cheap....the norm is a motorbike taxi or a Song Taew (2rows). This is a pickup truck with 2 rows of seats along the back. Buses run from town to town and cost nothing ... If the kids are school age and at international school or similar there will be a minibus to collect them.

Many people have fallen off a motorbike taxi and the baht buses have fixed routes at 10 baht a throw but you'll need to negotiate a fare any where off their route. How convenient would depend on where they put you….in town you’d be OK but out of town you’d probably want a car or at least a motorbike.

Thais frequently travel around on motorbikes 3 or 4 at a time with kids balanced on the handlebar!?!?!?

There is a slow train to Bkk once a day.

To travel around you can normally get a seat in a minibus or, for the whole family, hire one with driver for about 2500 baht per day

Car hire is quite cheap too; I would recommend Holiday Rent-a-car on 3rd road.

In the end, I would suggest you invest in some vehicle(s) of your own anyway just for the convenience. Fuel in cheapish 28 baht litre diesel and 30 baht litre petrol, and so are tax and insurance. You could pick up a reliable 2nd hand car for 250 to 400k baht, or a new pickup from 600k. (Did I say that before?). Step-through style motorbikes are available on hire everywhere…a new top of the range Yamaha Nouvo Fully automatic - is just under 50,000 baht. You just have to weigh up whether you feel safe enough on 2 wheels in Thai traffic.

Oh yes….Someone earlier made a good point about the sex industry….there is some in every town in Thailand, its just not so overtly aimed at foreigners.

:D Thanks for all the info everyone.

Not sure about shipping your car when you are "posted" here (job relocation). I would hope your company would have answers for that. Shipping it as a private individual could be expensive (we had a thread on this somewhere, complete with links to Thai Customs and their formula for duties and taxes on imported vehicles. I calculated the duty and tax to import my 4 year old pick-up were going to be about twice it's original cost ! I could buy a new vehicle here for half the cost of importing my old one ! Maybe thats part of the idea :D )

Depending on your standards, most of your household furniture and effects should be cheaper here.

Public transport can be a little vexing as others have mentioned. Not sure if they have the little 100cc and 125 cc motorcycles in Spain (Honda Waves are really popular here). Most are the "step-through" moto types. They are the most common form of tranport around here. It is not unusual to see a family of 5 (dad, mom and 3 kids), arms loaded with groceries flying down the street.

At many intersections, you'll see groups of mostly men wearing red vests. These are moto-taxi drivers. 20 baht for most short trips. Negotiate for longer trips.

Warning !!! Some of these guys/gals work very long hours, and are often in too much of a hurry to get you to your destination. Ride at own risk.

Baht Buses (song teaws). Most of these small pick-ups travel a specific route around the city. Not too many of them in the outlaying areas though.

For inner city trips, flag one down and hop in the back. When you get close to where you want to be, press the buzzer and hand the driver 10 baht per person (for Thais, it is 5 baht. You can try paying 5 baht. Might make an interesting first experience :o )

Warning !!! If you ask the driver if he goes by a certain area (i.e do you go by "Big C" ?), he will assume you are hiring him (for a fee of 100-150 baht) to take you there. even if it is along the route he was travelling any ways !

If the bus you are on appears to be heading in a direction away from where you are going, simply press the buzzer, get off and pay the driver, cross/move over to the direction you want to go and flag down another bus.

Public buses. Well, they keep trying to run a public bus service and it keep failing. One reason is the poor route choices, other reasons include ridiculous fares, poor scheduling/timings and competition from the baht buses.

There are public buses running from city to city. Some have air-conditioning, some don't.

Normal taxis are mostly found in Bangkok. The few running around Pattaya have probably just finished bringing a fare from the airport and are looking for a paying run back. There are also "private" taxis (people that hire their personal cars out, with themselves as the driver). Make sure you negotiate your fare in advance.

Beware of renting vehicles here ! If the rental place asks for your passport as collateral, walk away. (It is illegal for you to be walking around here without your passport in your possession, and most of the rental places know that. If they still ask for your passport, it is likely they are looking to scam you).

Reliable places may ask for a photo-copy of your passport though. There have been numerous reports of scams run by shady rental companies, mostly ones that rent motorcycles. Be careful.

Depending on your tastes, you can buy a new moto from 35,000 - 50,000 baht. You can also buy used for quite a bit cheaper of course.

Spend some time observing the traffic around here. They drive on the left side of the road (like in England and other backward countries) :D

They also drive on the right side of the road. And the wrong way on one-way roads, and on the sidewalks. It can be a little scary, and at times I wish I had eyes that could see 360 degrees around me non-stop.

After you get used to it though, it's not that bad. You just got to understand how it works, and the mindset of the people doing the driving.

Gotta run. Talk to you later !