Australian pensions paid in Thailand

I know it been done before, but can anyone give me some feedback. I've just been refused the aged pension - because 'I live permanently overseas'. Does anyone have recent experience of this situation or suggestions for my next move in this looming battle.? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this subject has been covered extensively in the past, but the bottom line is that you have to live in Australia for 2 years immediately prior to turning 65. If you haven't you will have to go back and spend 2 years there before you can receive the pension overseas. I believe the pension will be paid for the two years qualifying period in Australia, but I wouldn't swear to it. No way around it unfortunately.

Edited by giddyup

It is also important that you say you intend to stay in australia permanantly and not just for the two years before you can return to Thailand, If you do not they can say you are not a permanent resident as you have no0 intention of staying and your real residence is here. Of course the day after the two years is up you can change your mind.

I know a couple of people that are doing time, ie, 2years in Oz to be eligible.

Also, apparently, you must have been in the workforce/lived in Oz for 35years, increased from 25years, according to one of the guys I know that is there now.

I know a couple of people that are doing time, ie, 2years in Oz to be eligible.

Also, apparently, you must have been in the workforce/lived in Oz for 35years, increased from 25years, according to one of the guys I know that is there now.

Not workforce. There is no need to have ever worked but you must have lived during the working life age from I think 16 to 65 for a certain number of years to get the full pension paid.

Go to : human services.gov.au Click on Age Pension and follow the links for more precise information. Apparently the Abbot Government is seeking some changes but to my knowledge none to date.

Centrelink is another website that is most informative including direct telephone links for answers to questions.

OP: contact Welfare Rights Centre on 1800 358 511 or www.wrcqld.org.au. They provide free legal advice on conducting an appeal.

I have recently been granted full Aged Pension after returning to Oz from Thailand some months back, total Working Life Residency time in Oz 25 years. Lived in Thailand for total 4.5 years, last period in Thailand, prior to returning to Oz, was 2.5 years. I will also receive a small pension from UK Govt that is not deducted from Oz Aged Pension

At no time was I asked about my intent to remain in Oz and I have no assets in Oz other than a rental contract and a used car. 35 year criteria for full Aged Pension kicks in if wanting portability after two years in Oz

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

I think you, Tim Armstrong, are in for a big surprise, if you return to Australia for the required two years to qualify for it being paid overseas then, as from July this year, you will not be paid the pension overseas if you are outside Australia for more than four weeks in any one year. I am sure you will find you are stuffed. Only one thing makes centrelink happy and that is if you would kindly die the day you qualify for the pension.

Simple1, I would be very surprised if your English pension is not subject to 20% of it being taken off your Australian pension. I think in the future you are in for a surprise.

I think you, Tim Armstrong, are in for a big surprise, if you return to Australia for the required two years to qualify for it being paid overseas then, as from July this year, you will not be paid the pension overseas if you are outside Australia for more than four weeks in any one year. I am sure you will find you are stuffed. Only one thing makes centrelink happy and that is if you would kindly die the day you qualify for the pension.

Simple1, I would be very surprised if your English pension is not subject to 20% of it being taken off your Australian pension. I think in the future you are in for a surprise.

I do not think that is correct. It may apply to some other benefits which are not pensions and will apply to the supplementary payments but the age pension still continues to be portable.

I do not think that is correct. It may apply to some other benefits which are not pensions and will apply to the supplementary payments but the age pension still continues to be portable.

Centrelink have confirmed in writing that UK Govt pension is treated as income. Oz Aged Pension payment will only be affected if the UK payment exceeds permissable income criteria for Oz Aged Pension payment, which in my case it does not.

Edited by simple1