How do you motivate Thai staff?

Im looking for genuine advice here as I have a current member of staff who I don't want to lose because of certain skills he has but I just can not seem to motivate him to do a decent days work. I recently increased his salary to 20,000 baht from 15,000 baht but that didn't work. Any advice would be appreciated

• Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's long been accepted that money is not the biggest motivator (in any country or culture) and we Farang have many factors working against us when employing Thai Nationals, discrimination and complacency being high on my list. In my experience, 21 yr olds here often think and act much younger than their years and are extremely difficult to motivate in any way.

Having said this, I personally believe that motivation comes from within the individual so the phrase of 'motivating someone to perform' is misleading as the real task of any employer is provide the right conditions etc. for the employee to feel good and give their best effort off their own back...a very difficult task here :-)

I reckon Simon is on the right track with his motivational ideas but may have shot himself in the foot when he waved the big stick at his staff with the ultimatum of smile or go..but there again it sounds like he knows what he is doing so was probably better off without them!

He has likely become complacent - thinks he is irreplaceable because of the skills he has. He thinks you need him more than he needs you.

Giving him a straight salary increase like you did was stupid. It just reinforced his thinking as above. You should have given him a performance / work based commission or target system to earn the money. The way to motivate a Thai is to make them greedy.

Obviously his skills are replaceable... if he was a 15,000 a month kind of employee. We aren't talking rocket science or nuclear physics here. You need to give him a dose of reality / wake up call. Scare the s**t out of him and let him know that he is 100% replaceable. If he walks, so be it.

I think Bino is correct. Best way to give him a scare is to start interviewing candiates to replace him. If that doesn't wake him up you are better without him.

• Like 2

Replace him with Burmese and don't worry about skill they learn fast

I would agree with this to the extent that you make sure it is legal. No employee is irreplaceable, but when they think they are they will take charge. You empowered him even more with the raise. You can't take that back, but you can bring in a replacement that he will train, (handled right, he will not know that he is training his replacement. He has no skill that can not be learned.) Chalk this up to just another experience in life after you have solved the problem.

Starting with someone who knows what they want and has some skill is a good start.

Someone who is 21 is likely to not know what they want in life.

Providing the right environment - enough staff so that they have fun, clean, safe working environment etc.. is also important.

Salary last but not the least is very important.

M- F work week, various health benefits etc are all important.

I see staff who are very relaxed think very carefully about quitting.

In another 1,000 years from now, someone will still be asking the same question, and the answer

will be same, not much you can do to motivate Thai staff, they have their own logics, priorities,

timing and reasons to work the way they do and the western educated minds will never decipher

that code...

so the fact the employee is 21 has absolutely nothing to do with this ?.....he lacks motivation only because he is Thai ?..nothing to do with the fact that the employee, is still basically a "child" and as a "child" they get bored with things and will has other "priorities"

and if it is a "genetic" trait we also have understand the employee is only half Thai, what about his "farang" half then, where does that fit into your logical reasoning...rolleyes.gif

"bino's" response is most likely the correct approach...

Absolute tosh , at 21 he's not a child although he'll certainly act like one. The farang part of him is just a mere 5 mins of pleasure. The rest is pure Thai so the best course of action would be to look for someone else. Unfortunately the chances of the replacement being another waste of space are very high.

Any challenge to him will result in loss of face so he's going to walk anyhow.

• Like 2

Too bad already gave raise hoping that would motivate. Problem is time span between performance you want and pay he wants. Many Thais live in the "now"... payday just too far away to couple with work. Use some small reinforcement for behaviors you want. M&M's work, gold stars, etc. This also works for farangs in work too. An extra 50 or 100 baht for job well done will motivate, or some other recognition. Do that for a few weeks and see what happens. I am against using "stick" some suggest, because all that does is build resentment, minimal performance and anger. I taught special ed emotionally disturbed teens in USA. They liked foosball table time, weekly drawings for inexpensive prizes, etc. Get creative, accept where they are developmentally and think it through.

• Like 2

In another 1,000 years from now, someone will still be asking the same question, and the answer

will be same, not much you can do to motivate Thai staff, they have their own logics, priorities,

timing and reasons to work the way they do and the western educated minds will never decipher

that code...

The ability look forward 1,000 years is truely amazing, as is the existence of the illusive "code" mentioned.

I think most westeners who have lived in Asia for a consideable period of time can agree that, in general, Asians tend to mature emotionally later than those in the same age group in the west. I've pegged the maturity of a westerner to be 3-5 years ahead of an average Asian. If you hire a 21 year old you can set your expectations of matuity at 17-18. I think this cultural since the family unit fosters dependency for a longer peiod of time.

When you hire you should take this into consideration.

Have you tried a cattle prod? to be honest very little will work ,they just do not have the work ethic ,for generations they have been told by those at the top how wonderfull Thais are ,that they have never been conquered and that they are no 1 in the world ,it is and was a ploy to keep them in their"place" and not to have to try to better themselves as there was no need ,unfortunatly for them ,the time is very nearly here when they find that they will not be needed or wanted by foreign firms ,i have a friend who,s wife runs a chain of car washes ,she does not employ one Thai as ,and her words (she is Thai) they are far to lazy.Cambodians work harder and for less ,look what is happening in the UK Poles and other E.U workers come over and work for far less ,so wages are stagnating .

• Like 1

You probably won't be able to find exactly what you want so hire the best stacked, most beautiful girl you see, pay her the 20,000and, if she can't do the job, you have alternatives for her services I am of the old school that most ugly women can do what you NEED but only those with big tits can do what you WANT !

• Like 1