British actor and director Richard Attenborough dies aged 90

webfact

Actor and director Richard Attenborough dies aged 90

LONDON: -- Oscar-winning British film director Richard Attenborough has died at the age of 90, his son has said.

Lord Attenborough was one of Britain's leading actors, before becoming a highly successful director.

In a career that spanned six decades, he appeared in films including Brighton Rock, World War Two prisoner of war thriller The Great Escape and later in dinosaur blockbuster Jurassic Park.

As a director he was perhaps best known for Gandhi, which won him two Oscars.

Lord Attenborough had been in a nursing home with his wife for a number of years, BBC arts editor Will Gompertz said.

He had also been in a wheelchair since falling down stairs six years ago, our correspondent added.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28923074

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-08-25

Fine actor, Brighton Rock,Great Escape, fine director, Gandhi 8 Oscars, Labour peer and Chelsea supporter. Tragically lost 3 family, (eldest daughter one of them) in the 2004 Tsunami RIP Sir.

Edited by phutoie2

Quite some time ago he was a guest on the graham norton talk show. What a charming gentleman he was. A truly great man with an astonishingly charismatic presence. It was an interview that surprised me with the level of attention I was was compelled to give it. If anyone can locate it it's recommended viewing in my book ! Rip to a fine British gentleman.

• Like 1

Must admit I hadn't heard of him but once a saw the clip of Jurrasic Park then I knew who he was. Was he related to David?

Brothers I believe

Yes, they were indeed brothers.

Alan

Yes David & Richard are brothers. Dickie is the oldest. Oddly enough on social media

heaps of tributes are flowing in for the death of David...who is still very much alive.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/oh-brother-tributes-flow-for-david-attenborough-as-richard-attenborough-dies-20140825-107zr5.html

The world has lost another fine actor and highly acclaimed director...have a look at the numerous

awards that the epic film Gandhi received...just Google it.

For a young Richard find the film Brighton Rock on the web & have a watch.

Then there's the fantastic Flight Of The Phoenix...plus so many others...including Jurassic Park

for those who are not old enough to remember his earlier works.

BTW..Richard wasn't in Bridge On The River Kwai...that was Sir Alec Guinness.

Some great info here on "Dickie's" life in British Cinema...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11054439/Richard-Attenborough-is-irreplaceable.html

Trivia: Lord Attenborough is the man most credited with saving british Cinema...he had a chat

with Margaret Thatcher about it....Google that...there's a rather funny line in there...

RIP Dickie. Condolences to the Attenborough family.

Edited by sunshine51

Must admit I hadn't heard of him but once a saw the clip of Jurrasic Park then I knew who he was. Was he related to David?

Brothers I believe

Yes, they were indeed brothers.

Alan

Yes David & Richard are brothers. Dickie is the oldest. Oddly enough on social media

heaps of tributes are flowing in for the death of David...who is still very much alive.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/oh-brother-tributes-flow-for-david-attenborough-as-richard-attenborough-dies-20140825-107zr5.html

The world has lost another fine actor and highly acclaimed director...have a look at the numerous

awards that the epic film Gandhi received...just Google it.

For a young Richard find the film Brighton Rock on the web & have a watch.

Then there's the fantastic Flight Of The Phoenix...plus so many others...including Jurassic Park

for those who are not old enough to remember his earlier works.

BTW..Richard wasn't in Bridge On The River Kwai...that was Sir Alec Guinness.

Some great info here on "Dickie's" life in British Cinema...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11054439/Richard-Attenborough-is-irreplaceable.html

Trivia: Lord Attenborough is the man most credited with saving british Cinema...he had a chat

with Margaret Thatcher about it....Google that...there's a rather funny line in there...

RIP Dickie. Condolences to the Attenborough family.

why the comment on "Bridge on the River Kwai". I have just checked all the posts here and apart from you no one has mentioned it.

Quite some time ago he was a guest on the graham norton talk show. What a charming gentleman he was. A truly great man with an astonishingly charismatic presence. It was an interview that surprised me with the level of attention I was was compelled to give it. If anyone can locate it it's recommended viewing in my book ! Rip to a fine British gentleman.

Yes, the epitome of charm and charisma. Loved his acting, esp. his delivery (which I have to say seems to run in his family). One of the masters of his trade without a doubt. RIP.

Great charecter actor and Director,

He also directed a Bridge Too Far 1977 (Operation Market Garden) The allied (General Montgomerie's idea) failed attempt to cross over the Rhine into Germany and end the War early, another great film...

R I P Big X

His film acting debut was Brighton Rock and he returned to Brighton for his directorial debut; Oh What a Lovely War.

To mark both Lord Attenborough's passing and the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI, here is the very moving end to that film.