Chiang Rai hit by moderate earthquake this morning

webfact

Chiang Rai hit by moderate earthquake this morning

8-25-2014-10-59-16-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A moderate 4.8 magnitude earthquake hit Mae Suey district of Chiang Rai at 05.32 a.m. Monday, forcing hundreds of residents in many districts to run out of their homes for safety.

The epicentre of the tremor is six kilometres deep underground in Mae Suey district and is located at Latitude 19.71 and Longitude 99.5.

The moderate tremor was felt by residents in Mae Suey, Mae Lao, Phan, Muang and adjacent districts.

It forced hundreds to jump out of their beds and ran outside of their homes.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation officials of Chiang Rai are investigating if the tremor has caused any damages to properties and lives.

They also are looking into the possibility of landslides in the areas as during the tremor there were heavy rains in the affected areas.

(Photo : http://www.seismology.tmd.go.th)

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-rai-hit-moderate-earthquake-morning/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-25

I was at a wat in CM at 5:30am this morning during morning chants. I didn't feel a thing, but I remember thinking, "I wonder how this building would hold up in an earthquake.", at around 5:30ish. Got home and my wife told me she felt it shake our building. Hummm? Guess I was picking it up on the sub-conscious level.

Edited by connda

Chiang Rai quakes add to locals' worries and damage at historical site

CHIANG RAI, 26 August 2014 (NNT) – Three earthquakes of magnitudes between 2.5 and 4.8 took place early on Monday in Chiang Rai, causing further damage to at least one historical site that was already damaged from the magnitude 6.3 quake in May.

According to the abbot at Mae Suai Luang Temple in Mae Suai District, more cracks can now be seen at the temple's main building, which is still under repair following the May earthquakes and aftershocks.

Locals in Mae Suai were reportedly distressed over Monday's quakes, which deepened their worry about a collapse of the Mae Suai Dam. Officials from the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation office in the province have already started visiting locals afflicted by Monday's quakes.

The first in a series of three earthquakes occurred at 2.35 am on Monday; the intensity was 2.5 on the Richter Scale. The second tremor, measured 4.8 on the Richter Scale, took place at 5.32 am. The third tremor measuring 3.9 closely followed at 5.42 am. The epicenter was about five kilometers underneath Mae Suai District.

The quakes were felt in several other districts in Chiang Rai.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-26 footer_n.gif