Do you like being the only farang in your area?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In one of the modern villages outside Pattaya I have found out that neighbours rarely talk to each other or greet. They seem to stick with their own family and relatives. Not sure if this is the norm in a thai village on the countryside but maybe city people act like this.

Think too much, I live in a city which has no redlight district or prostitution whatsoever, so no tourist problem. Farangs are here but with their Thai wifes. Also live Isaan, where it is safe opposed to the South where its a 50/50 chance you will fall to your death.

Never come across a city like that, so that's why you live in Isaan sometimes. biggrin.png

When we visit my wife's family it's always fun being one of the few farang around. I'm always treated very well by the locals - at least to my face. What they do or think otherwise is of no consequence to me either way. I come for my wife and have no interest in staying past a visit or forming life-long bonds with anyone outside the family.

In my whole life I only had about 5 real friends, so I wouldn't expect to find any here.

Sad thing to say.

Yes agree... Is it even possible to be that out of human companionship? Really sad to hear...

Glegolo

I think you miss the point. Most of us have lots of aquaintances we call friends, but how many would help you if things got really bad, or, how many would you die for?

There are casual friends and there are REAL friends.

Sad thing to say.
Yes agree... Is it even possible to be that out of human companionship? Really sad to hear...

Glegolo

Depends on what you classify as a real friend. If those 5 friends were stand by you till the end kind of friends, then I'd say he was doing just fine.
Well that's just it, you won't know there friends until you do get to some end of something.

What refer to as sad really is the " not expecting to find any here " for me, first and foremost friend here is my Thai wife and I would say some of the Thai people I know are friends.

Fair enough. I have one REAL friend in Thailand.

Quote removed to allow posting

Think too much, I live in a city which has no redlight district or prostitution whatsoever, so no tourist problem. Farangs are here but with their Thai wifes. Also live Isaan, where it is safe opposed to the South where its a 50/50 chance you will fall to your death.

No western tourists where I live, but a large Thai bar/ prostitution scene, or don't Thais count?