Thaivisa-where Are All The Early Members?

simon43

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Methinks the reasons are legio. :D

legio ? I had an Italian car once.

The old posters know it all, so post at leisure or not at all.

Where are -

Bluecat, Sick Boy, Erco, Georgie Porgie, Stroll, The Gent, Butterfly ? :o

Where did a lot of the other members go? Try reading an old thread, a lot of those members have 'banned' written next to their name now. :o

Thats true, it used to be quite a lively forum, then all of a sudden anybody who actually livened things up was banned, it went from topics about the Nightlife to such stunning topics about how much do you earn and what is your favourite colour.

Bring back Bud, Gentleman, Begs etc.

Where did a lot of the other members go? Try reading an old thread, a lot of those members have 'banned' written next to their name now. :o

Thats true, it used to be quite a lively forum, then all of a sudden anybody who actually livened things up was banned, it went from topics about the Nightlife to such stunning topics about how much do you earn and what is your favourite colour.

Bring back Bud, Gentleman, Begs etc.

Not sure about Begs/erco and a few other dodgy characters there used to be around, but Bud Zumwalt would certainly inject some entertainment into proceedings. So if you're out there Bud, perhaps over for a nose-job or sex change, then please sign up and tell us all about it! :D

Any body know how or why Thetyim got banned? Never thought of him as a "troublemaker" (as Dr PP liked to label some of the Class of 2003). :D

Ah, yes, the great eclectic days of the past.

Remember that huge thread that started with someone asking why some farangs marry bar girls?

It became a road map to the wonders and dangers of landing up in Thailand.

Last time I tried to revive it to help a newbie, I got told to "Sod Off!".

And I can't even find it now.

It wasn't all Nightlife though. One bloke wanted to know about buying a water heater, and the thread ended up (virtually) building a house!

Sorry peeps. As per forum rules, bannings are not to be discussed.

I will never ever understand this rule. The only vaild complaint I have ever seen about TV is the bannings of forum members and yet no one seems prepared to sort this problem out starting with a basic discussion. In the end the feedback would be very valuable to George and co. who would in the long term make more money from this website if a solution is found.

It seems a very backward approach to business to ignore the 'customers' only complaint about service. Most efficient business models pay for this kind of information. Perhaps a thread in Bedlam would be a start Meadish, it may turn out to be very useful?

A 'how can we improve this forum / any complaints about this forum' kind of topic. Burying heads in the sand is not very productice and I assume George wants this website to be as productive as possible.

I will never ever understand this rule. The only vaild complaint I have ever seen about TV is the bannings of forum members and yet no one seems prepared to sort this problem out starting with a basic discussion. In the end the feedback would be very valuable to George and co. who would in the long term make more money from this website if a solution is found.

It seems a very backward approach to business to ignore the 'customers' only complaint about service. Most efficient business models pay for this kind of information. Perhaps a thread in Bedlam would be a start Meadish, it may turn out to be very useful?

A 'how can we improve this forum / any complaints about this forum' kind of topic. Burying heads in the sand is not very productice and I assume George wants this website to be as productive as possible.

:o:D:D:D

BKKMadness is a great man. :D

tutsiwarrior...rootin' tootin' an' high falutin'...

hey man...I got battle scars and was present when TV re-emerged as a respectable website after the epic flame wars of late 2003...

//edit to remove extra comment - lopburi3//

Tutsi.........still duckin', divin', drinkin', flamin' an' gettin lopped by lopburi, eh? :D

Can't keep a good man down, no matter how many times he gets edited, banned and lopped by the mods. Here's to you, us and the flame wars of late 2003! It sorted out the men from the boys, but still not too sure about the merits of "respectable websites". :D

Cheers! :o

plachon

right on me ole fish...we set the web ablaze back in them days...(cue Jerry Lee Lewis and his flaming piano...)...follow that...

I'm shtill here (jusht about and infrequently), but the dreaded lao-kao got to me long ago and hit my batting average for six...... Chonabot would understand what it does to a Ishaan-man, whoshe been in theshe partsh a bit too long. :D

:D Shure do bro.......... :D

You shtill hanging out in Kalashin hombre? :D:D

Sadly hangin in the UK, will be back in a few years , let's sink some LK one day sir! :o

I'm shtill here (jusht about and infrequently), but the dreaded lao-kao got to me long ago and hit my batting average for six...... Chonabot would understand what it does to a Ishaan-man, whoshe been in theshe partsh a bit too long. :D

Sadly hangin in the UK, will be back in a few years , let's sink some LK one day sir! :o

Hey, that's too bad mate. Sympathise entirely with LOS-withdrawal symptoms. Will put some vintage KK blue label lao-kao aside in my cellar for the time you return then look forward to cracking it open, having a peg of the vile stuff, then carry on quaffing with something less like paintstripper, like Lee on the locks. :D

Let us know when you're headed this way. :D

Love me or hate me i'm here although this is about my fourth id cus for some reason i kept getting banned..

After over a year, this ID is still working. You must have been doing something right. :o

Hey, that's too bad mate. Sympathise entirely with LOS-withdrawal symptoms. Will put some vintage KK blue label lao-kao aside in my cellar for the time you return then look forward to cracking it open, having a peg of the vile stuff, then carry on quaffing with something less like paintstripper, like Lee on the locks. :D

Let us know when you're headed this way. :D

Coolio Iglesias hombre!

A thought-provoking thread from simon43.

I, too, joined in 2003.

And since then I have retired and made the move from "home" to Bangkok where I have been living since 2004.

In those early days, TV was a pleasure to read.

I used to check in often.

The advice I gained from TV in 2003 and 2004 was invaluable to my move here.

But in 2005 TV started changing, and, alas, not for the better.

The "trolls" discovered it -- as they discover every other unmoderated forum -- and a veritable "tragedy of the commons" has set in.

I notice a trend: the thoughtful posters don't post much any more, but the nonsense posters do post, more and more.

There is still some good information here, but the effort to clear off the over-burden has discouraged me from much activity.

To counter this I've made ample use of the Ignore User function -- thank goodness for that.

Alas, as of today, my list of ignored users is up to 301 names.

And many of those have hundreds or thousands of posts -- mostly nonsense, in my opinion.

A sad commentary on the quality of the TV forum now -- compared to back in 2003 when I was eager to read almost every post.

I wonder, does anyone else have a large list of ignored users here?

And I also wonder, where -- today -- can I find a forum with the consistent quality of postings that TV used to have just a few years ago.

I not satisfied with the TV forum -- it could be so much better with a bit more selective moderation -- but, I must say, for expats in Thailand, it is still the best of the lot, especially the threads from 2-3 years ago.

I, too, joined in 2003.

And since then I have retired and made the move from "home" to Bangkok where I have been living since 2004.

The "trolls" discovered it -- as they discover every other unmoderated forum -- and a veritable "tragedy of the commons" has set in.

I notice a trend: the thoughtful posters don't post much any more, but the nonsense posters do post, more and more.

There is still some good information here, but the effort to clear off the over-burden has discouraged me from much activity.

To counter this I've made ample use of the Ignore User function -- thank goodness for that.

And many of those have hundreds or thousands of posts -- mostly nonsense, in my opinion.

A sad commentary on the quality of the TV forum now -- compared to back in 2003 when I was eager to read almost every post.

And I also wonder, where -- today -- can I find a forum with the consistent quality of postings that TV used to have just a few years ago.

I not satisfied with the TV forum -- it could be so much better with a bit more selective moderation -- but, I must say, for expats in Thailand, it is still the best of the lot, especially the threads from 2-3 years ago.

You complain and ignore.... yet I don't see many topics started by you, in fact only one topic started in the last (nearly) 3 years... and that was a really serious and thoughtful one.

The way I see it is that if you want a good serious no nonsense discussion .. then start a topic and have one..

There do seem to be topics that interest you..as you have been posting recently

Now come on.. get more involved and you will be able to steer things your way.. :D

Mind you.. I doubt you will even read this post as I am probably one of the nonsense posters with thousands of posts you have ignored.. or if not.. I guess the list is now 302.. :o

totster :D

I, too, joined in 2003.

You complain and ignore.... yet I don't see many topics started by you, in fact only one topic started in the last (nearly) 3 years... and that was a really serious and thoughtful one.

The way I see it is that if you want a good serious no nonsense discussion .. then start a topic and have one..

There do seem to be topics that interest you..as you have been posting recently

Now come on.. get more involved and you will be able to steer things your way.. :D

Mind you.. I doubt you will even read this post as I am probably one of the nonsense posters with thousands of posts you have ignored.. or if not.. I guess the list is now 302.. :o

totster :D

Apparently you were number 2 on the list , I was number 1..... :D

I'm really curious to know who those 301 names are. I am sure I can think of quite a good number of them on my own.

Might Totster be one of them? Oh hel_l ya! All he posts is garbage! :D:o

I, too, joined in 2003.

I didnt even know there was an ignore function.

I registered in 2002, and then I forgot my userid, so I re-registered. It was also at the time I cahanged ISP's etc, so the lost password email etc could not be got.

I then re-registered when I did, with a much bigger number.

I remember the early days of thaivisa.com, when we had some excellent 'threads' that ran and ran.

They helped us all, especially 'newbies'.

If we veered off topic, we would put up another thread on that, so the original could get back on topic.

Comparing life in the capital, the seaside places, provincial towns and 'ban nork' villages,

Building/upgrading houses,

Choosing carefully who to marry,

Coping with Asian toilets,

are just a few that come back to the old memory.

But I went back to Blighty for a while to earn some money, didn't have easy access to the net there, and missed whatever it was that changed the thaivisa.com character.

I did try reviving the thread about the problems, and some successes, of marrying Thai women who might be met in bars, because it was a good 'read' for newbies, but was told very firmly by Dr PP to "Sod Off".

It is a pity if the best of the past gets lost with the rest.