English teacher in Isan: 3 questions

peterkeip

Hi, I would like to know: when starting with a 3-months-tourist-visa as English teacher in Isan, which will be changed into a non-Immigrant-B-visa after a 3 months probation... what comes next ?

1. Do I have to do a visa run and leave the country ?

2. If working in Sisaket, should I go to Laos, Cambodia, Burma or Malaysia to get my visa changed or is everything arranged by school without leaving the country ?

3. How much do I have to pay for TOEIC exams and where can I do so ?

Your help is very appreciated. Thank you for answering ...

1/ The easiest way would be to leave the country and get a Non-B at a Thai consulate

2/ The closest would probably be Savannakhet (Laos), although if there's a consulate in Pakse, (Laos) that might be a little closer, I'm not sure.

3/ Sorry I can't help you with this one.

I teach/tutor in SSK too and got my "B" visa from Savanaket, Lao as it's the easiest option. Before you do that you must visit the local Labour Office to start the process of getting a work permit. I hope the school can help you with this. If not, there are 3 "Farang" restaurants locally and I'm sure other teachers will be able to give advice.

Good luck.

"How much do I have to pay for TOEIC exams and where can I do so ?"

As already mentioned, Bangkok does testing twice a day during the week. Maybe on Saturday also.

Regular price is 1500 baht.

You can also get the tests in KKC or CM, but less frequently.

"How much do I have to pay for TOEIC exams and where can I do so ?"

As already mentioned, Bangkok does testing twice a day during the week. Maybe on Saturday also.

Regular price is 1500 baht.

You can also get the tests in KKC or CM, but less frequently.

Hi Terry, thank you for your reply. How about Sisaket ? Can I go there for a TOEIC-test as well ?

Peter, if your in Sisaket go see fellow German, Frank of "Livin in the Past" (see FB page) and he will point you in the right direction about anything locally. The German foods good too!

Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 1

"How about Sisaket ? Can I go there for a TOEIC-test as well ?"

No, as far as I know.

Please look-once more- on their website and I'm sure they don't do that in Sisaket. Visiting Frank isn't a bad idea though...facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

I teach/tutor in SSK too and got my "B" visa from Savanaket, Lao as it's the easiest option. Before you do that you must visit the local Labour Office to start the process of getting a work permit. I hope the school can help you with this. If not, there are 3 "Farang" restaurants locally and I'm sure other teachers will be able to give advice.

Good luck.

Sorry, but in this case it's different. You don't have to start the "work permit process" first.

The school needs to issue all documents, plus one from educational area XXX, a contract, ( original is always best), letter of employment from school, a map where the school's located, two passport photographs and 1,900 baht. ( of course copies of your degree, plus transcripts,etc...)

Once you come back on a Non-B from Sawannakhet ( Laos, from Mukdahan), you can apply for your provisional TL. So still plenty of time to get an appointment at the TOEIC test center.

Once you've got all documents ready, you can apply for your provisional TL in person, or via post. ( At Khurusapha,or Teacher's Council of Thailand)

It takes not longer than 14 days by post to get your provisional TL, if all needed documents are being sent.

Then it's time to visit the labor department, ( takes two to three days), pick up your work permit (3,100 baht for one year) and extend your visa until your contract is valid.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Good luck.

Sorry, but in this case it's different. You don't have to start the "work permit process" first.

The school needs to issue all documents, plus one from educational area XXX, a contract, ( original is always best), letter of employment from school, a map where the school's located, two passport photographs and 1,900 baht. ( of course copies of your degree, plus transcripts,etc...)

Once you come back on a Non-B from Sawannakhet ( Laos, from Mukdahan), you can apply for your provisional TL. So still plenty of time to get an appointment at the TOEIC test center.

Once you've got all documents ready, you can apply for your provisional TL in person, or via post. ( At Khurusapha,or Teacher's Council of Thailand)

It takes not longer than 14 days by post to get your provisional TL, if all needed documents are being sent.

Then it's time to visit the labor department, ( takes two to three days), pick up your work permit (3,100 baht for one year) and extend your visa until your contract is valid.

Thank you for correcting me. I tutor in a Uni so maybe the process that had to do is different. Sorry to confuse. Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 2

The consulate in V. Laos used to require that the WP be applied for prior to applying for the visa. They wanted to see the WP3. The application can be made when you are on any kind of visa, including a visa exempt entry.

After getting the visa the person would then return to the Labor Office and pick up the WP.

• Like 1

No, as far as I know.

Please look-once more- on their website and I'm sure they don't do that in Sisaket. Visiting Frank isn't a bad idea though...facepalm.gif

I couldn´t find Frank on Facebook. Do you have his Thai phone number or email address ?

Thank you very much in advance

No, as far as I know.

I couldn´t find Frank on Facebook. Do you have his Thai phone number or email address ?

Thank you very much in advance

I have asked him to PM you. Edited by DILLIGAD

The consulate in V. Laos used to require that the WP be applied for prior to applying for the visa. They wanted to see the WP3. The application can be made when you are on any kind of visa, including a visa exempt entry.

After getting the visa the person would then return to the Labor Office and pick up the WP.

Terry, are you sure about that?

How can anybody- trying to become an English teacher- pick a work permit up, without the most wanted letter from Khurusapha?

( Teacher's Council of Thailand.) Non-B visa 2,000 baht, TOEIC- 1,500.-

Please correct me, if I'm wrong. Cheers-facepalm.gif

OP, please make sure that they do that for you. If not, please run away from that shithole. It shows you how welcome you really are.

If people here continue to work for a too low salary, because they're not legal, the cheating will never stop.

Some guys have to have balls and stand for their word. One alone's nothing, all together, a Superpower....

Edited by lostinisaan

"Terry, are you sure about that?"

"How can anybody- trying to become an English teacher- pick a work permit up, without the most wanted letter from Khurusapha?"

I'm positive.

The Labor Office would give you a WP3 to show the consulate. You wouldn't be given that form until all your paperwork was in order.

If anything they required was missing, they didn't give you the WP3.