Retirement visa - actual paperwork required?

Hello Can anyone tell me what paperwork actually needs to be submitted in practice (from forum members experience please) - when applying for Non-immgrant O-A Retirement besides the passbook statement showing the 800,000 seasoned bank deposit and current visa - do I have to provide:

1. Medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases and if so - do I have to get this from a specific hospital or can I get it anywhere - can anyone recommend a hospital who is used to issuing these certificates in centre of Bangkok where some staff speak english?
  2. On the immigration website it mentions submitting a 'Personal Data Form' where do I get that form? does anyone have that form please?
  3. Do I need a police no convictions statement - I have actually been working in Laos (for government but they never processed a work permit form me) for the past year (and not in my home country for past 10 years) - where would I get this police statement from? - Is it needed?
  4. Anythingelse?

5. Has anyone imported their personal belongings from another country into Bangkok - do customs require a copy of a residency permit and/or non-tourist visa? An agent will be handling it so Im not sure if I need to get this paperwork in advance ?

Please would you answer point by point to avoid confusion

I appreciate your advice

For a Non imm O-A Visa you apply in your own country.'

The requirements will be on the Embassy Website.

Applications for 12 month extensions are done at Immigration in Thailand.

Police reports and medical reports are not needed.

If you can, arrive with a single entry Nin Imm O Visa and extend at Immigration in Thailand.

Really easy to do.

You will need a letter from the bank showing the deposit and an updated passbook showing the same deposit.

Money in the bank for at least 2 months.

You apparently are asking about getting an extension of stay at immigration not a OA visa from a embassy or consulate in your home country.

One, 2 and 3 are not needed those are only for applying for a OA visa. You evidently are looking at a embassy website not immigration's.

5. Info here: http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

You need a bank letter to prove your bank balance and your bankbook to prove the money has been in the bank for 60 days for the first extension.

Are going to have a non immigrant O visa when you enter the country?

UbonJoe - yes based on what you say it would be an extension of stay - I entered on a tourist visa - but I can get an extension for a year or change to an OA Visa here?

I was looking at MOFA consular website in Thailand that instructs on submitting the documentation to Bangkok immigration for OA visa:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

I could be eligible based or retirement or that my child is at school here

More advice please

Just to clarify - I haven't been in my own country and when I came from Lao the Thai consular office explained they couldn't issue me with an OA visa because the Lao government had not given me a residency permit (but I have letter proving I worked there) so I had to come in to Thailand on a tourist visa and was told by Thai consulate in Lao that I could then convert to OA visa here in Thailand

You cannot get a Non Imm O-A Visa in Thailand.

You don't need one anyway.
You need a 12 month extension of stay for retirement.
Apply for a single entry Non Imm O Visa in laos.
Apply for the extension after 60 days of arriving.

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);
(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;
(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or
(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Sorry for the dumbness - so if I am on a tourist visa on arrival and not a non-immigrant O visa - can I get an extension for purposes of retirement?

Or would I need to leave Thailand and re-enter again on a non-immigrant O visa?

is it possible to convert a tourist visa to a non-immigrant O visa whilst in Thailand - I see the Thai consulate has a - 'change in type of visa section'

It is possible to convert to a Non Imm O Visa in Thailand but means an extra step.

You might have to go to Bangkok to do it and an extra fee of 2,000 Baht.

Much easier if you can arrive with a Non Imm O Visa.

BTW the extension fee is 1,900 Baht.

The bank will charge around 200 Baht for the letter.

• Like 1

Sorry for the dumbness - so if I am on a tourist visa on arrival and not a non-immigrant O visa - can I get an extension for purposes of retirement?

is it possible to convert a tourist visa to a non-immigrant O visa whilst in Thailand - I see the Thai consulate has a - 'change in type of visa section'

You can do a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry from a 30 day visa exempt entry (not a voa) but you would only have 15 days to do it from from the date your arrive.

If you cannot get a non-o visa it would be best to get to get a single entry tourist visa and do a change of visa status to get the non immigrant visa entry. You can do the change at anytime during the 60 day entry from it up to the last 15 days.

You will need to have 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or have proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 to reach a total of 800k baht to get the non immigrant visa entry.

Then after 60 days you can apply for the extension. The money would have to be in the bank for 60 days when you apply for it,

• Like 2

My wife and I entered on ordinary tourist visas in mid-December;

We both obtained income verification from our embassies (mine US and hers Australia) showing that I had more than 65K pension per month, and she had 50K per month;

We rented a condo and signed a lease;

We opened a bank account in her name and deposited sufficient funds to make up the shortfall in her income;

We obtained the bank letter verifying the deposit on 14 Januaryand had the bankbook updated to that day;

We went to Jomtien Immigration on January 15th with:

1. Copies of the face sheets of our passports;

2. Copies of the pages of our entry stamps;

3. Copies of our TM6 Departure cards (the white paper stapled in the back of your passport);

4. Completed TM 87 forms - Application for Visa - to convert our tourist visas to 90 day Non-Immigrant O visas;

5. Completed TM7 forms - Application for Extension of Stay in the Kingdom - to extend the 90 day O visas for one year;

6. Two passport photos for each of us, signed on the back;

We paid 2,000 baht each for the visa conversion in # 4 above, and 1,900 baht for the extension in # 5.

All photocopies were signed and dated.

The forms were signed, with our phone numbers right below the signature.

All of this was processed on the same day, and we walked out with a 15 month stay approved (90 day O visa plus a 1 year extension of that visa)

We also applied for and received Re-Entry permits that day - multiple entries using form TM 8 and a fee of 3,800 baht each.

• Like 1

You can do a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry from a 30 day visa exempt entry (not a voa) but you would only have 15 days to do it from from the date your arrive.

If you cannot get a non-o visa it would be best to get to get a single entry tourist visa and do a change of visa status to get the non immigrant visa entry. You can do the change at anytime during the 60 day entry from it up to the last 15 days.

You will need to have 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or have proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 to reach a total of 800k baht to get the non immigrant visa entry.

Then after 60 days you can apply for the extension. The money would have to be in the bank for 60 days when you apply for it,

Hi Joe,

Query: if one has some level of income (below 65K) and a bank deposit to make up the difference to meet the 65K threshold, doesn't that eliminate the need to "seed" the bank deposit for 60 days? It did in my wife's case, but that was more than 2 years ago; has that been changed?

Hi Joe,

Query: if one has some level of income (below 65K) and a bank deposit to make up the difference to meet the 65K threshold, doesn't that eliminate the need to "seed" the bank deposit for 60 days? It did in my wife's case, but that was more than 2 years ago; has that been changed?

The rules still only state that the money has to be in the bank on the date of application for the combination option. But there are are few offices that want the money to be in the bank for 60 or 90 days.

Hi Joe,

In the past, using the so-called combo method of finances -- bank deposit combined with monthly income -- meant that no seasoning was required for the bank deposit portion of the funds, at least, it meant that at MOST Immigration offices including Bangkok, but with a few exceptions.

Lately, however, there have been some reports of members being told their combo method bank deposit DID need to be seasoned two or three months. I don't believe anyone here has seen as yet any rule change indicating that, but some Immigrations officers are claiming there has been a rule change.

So right now, I would say the issue is a bit up in the air, pending further reports by members or some official clarification by Immigration.

The recent thread on the subject is here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752971-retirement-visa-combination-of-pension-money-in-bank-account/

Hi Joe,

The rules still only state that the money has to be in the bank on the date of application for the combination option. But there are are few offices that want the money to be in the bank for 60 or 90 days.

Thanks - glad I have no intention of moving from Chon Buri..

It's hard enough to keep up with all the rules without having them change from one province to the next.

Hi Joe,

Note that if you use the combo method the goal isn't 65K per month, it's 800,000 Baht per year. Not too much difference between the two, but if you do your calculations based on 65K per month you could end up a few thousand short.

Sophon

Hello Can anyone tell me what paperwork actually needs to be submitted in practice (from forum members experience please) - when applying for Non-immgrant O-A Retirement besides the passbook statement showing the 800,000 seasoned bank deposit and current visa - do I have to provide:

• Medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases and if so - do I have to get this from a specific hospital or can I get it anywhere - can anyone recommend a hospital who is used to issuing these certificates in centre of Bangkok where some staff speak english?
  • On the immigration website it mentions submitting a 'Personal Data Form' where do I get that form? does anyone have that form please?
  • Do I need a police no convictions statement - I have actually been working in Laos (for government but they never processed a work permit form me) for the past year (and not in my home country for past 10 years) - where would I get this police statement from? - Is it needed?
  • Anythingelse?
5. Has anyone imported their personal belongings from another country into Bangkok - do customs require a copy of a residency permit and/or non-tourist visa? An agent will be handling it so Im not sure if I need to get this paperwork in advance ?

Please would you answer point by point to avoid confusion

I appreciate your advice

Yes of course you will require the police certificate but i cant remember about the medical one : whether this was required or not. If you are in Bangkok you may enquire with one of these small agencies. There is one in the corner of Asok Montri just near interchange building, they will give you all infos about required documents and customs allowance etc...whether you chose to apply through them or not.

Yes of course you will require the police certificate but i cant remember about the medical one : whether this was required or not. If you are in Bangkok you may enquire with one of these small agencies. There is one in the corner of Asok Montri just near interchange building, they will give you all infos about required documents and customs allowance etc...whether you chose to apply through them or not.

No police certificate is not need for an extension of stay based upon retirement. Neither is a medical certificate.

Perhaps some agent fleeced you for some extra money by saying they were needed.

As mentioned above already, no police certificate is necessary when applying for an extension of stay based on retirement, as the OP appears to be doing.

There is no special custom allowance, even if described in any official document, Thai customs estimate and and duty imports as they deem appropriate.