Hi all,

I'm thinking about enrolling in a course here in Thailand, I currently have a Non O extension based on marriage.

If I enroll then should I change my visa to a ED visa, I would like to know some details about the ED visa

Can I change my non O extension to an ED visa without leaving the country, How much does the ED visa cost and do I have to do border runs.

Regards to you all

You may be able to change reason of extension without leaving the country, depends by the local office.

Normal cost is Bt 25,000 for a year.

You need to do extend every 90 days for Bt 1,900. After one year, will need to leave country and obtain a new ED visa.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You may be able to change reason of extension without leaving the country, depends by the local office.

You need to do extend every 90 days for Bt 1,900. After one year, will need to leave country and obtain a new ED visa.

25,000 for an ED visa, that seems rather expensive

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

25,000 for an ED visa, that seems rather expensive

Not for a visa. For a Thai course of one year, that allows to have an ED visa and/or extension of stay.

You don't have to change the type of your extension of stay.

Do you mean I can enroll and study on my existing visa extension

You can go to school with any type of visa or extension of stay. You not have to have a ED visa/extension to attend school. The ED visa is just a way to stay here to go to school.

You will find that you will be be able attend Thai language classes for much less than if you needed a to get a ED visa.

• Like 1

You don't have to change the type of your extension of stay.

Do you mean I can enroll and study on my existing visa extension
Yes sir. I cant think of any significant advantage to switching visa categories.

You are already married which gives you automatic entitlement to non-o visa along with the usual paperwork requirements. Easiest to maintain that [1 year] extension if you meet the financial requirement. Or go to Savannakhet or Penang and get multi non-o visa; you'd have to either do a border run every 90 days or extend (if 1 year extension is planned, you only need single non-o). ED visas are limited to single entry in the region and will require certain paperwork from school. Extensions will be limited to 90 days in most cases, and you may be lightly quizzed [by immigration] if it is a Thai language school.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1

I don't understand. I thought the ED visa rule changes were due anytime now. My friend has already asked his school and they are anticipating that the fees and hours could possibly be 3 times what they are now. So should the advice to newcomers not be to wait a short time until the dust has settled. As far as I understand what might have happened this morning with a person who renewed may have absolutely nothing to do with what happens in a week or two.

You on Married-Extension so you don´t NEED to change Extension reason for study.

If you want good teaching for your money, don´t use a Language (Ed-Visa/Extension) school, I think you get more for you money use private teacher, Go study at a University and so on.

Go to school more then the 4 hours pr week, If you really want to study and learn.

A tip if you want to use Language school (ED-Visa/Extension school)

Don´t pay full price, it is normal that 5.000 - 7.000 baht out of the total amount of baht is for doing the paperwork for for Immigration every 90 days.

So if they want 25.000 baht pr year, 200 hours, be sure not to pay more then 18.000-20.000 baht for it.

You have Married-Extension, So no NEED to pay for that, i am sure they "might" forget to explain that, because that "free" extras money for them.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about enrolling in a course here in Thailand, I currently have a Non O extension based on marriage.

If I enroll then should I change my visa to a ED visa, I would like to know some details about the ED visa

Can I change my non O extension to an ED visa without leaving the country, How much does the ED visa cost and do I have to do border runs.

Regards to you all

Just want to let you know that the opposite was not possible. I was staying on ED visa und wanted an extension for Thai spouse. My extension applications was denied. I had to leave the country to apply for a Non O spouse visa. Officer said I can't get extension for a different visa class...

Hi all,

Regards to you all

Just want to let you know that the opposite was not possible. I was staying on ED visa und wanted an extension for Thai spouse. My extension applications was denied. I had to leave the country to apply for a Non O spouse visa. Officer said I can't get extension for a different visa class...

This make me worried: "Officer said I can't get extension for a different visa class..".As I planning to change from Ed extension to retirement extension and there are members that done that. with out problems. What office was this?I wonder if there was some other issue with your marriage extension application?

Hi all,

Regards to you all

I change from ED-Extension to Married-Extension on 26 May this year.

That what at Nonthaburi Immigration.

whistling.gif You do not NEED to change your marriage extension/visa to study.

You do not need to have a Ed visa/extension, because you are already here legally with your marriage extension.

But if you want to do it you can.

It will take extra paperwork and cost .....it's up to you.

Myself, personally, if that was my choice, I wouldn't bother.

As for me, if I chose to study Thai at one of the language schools, I wouldn't NEED a Ed visa, because I am already here legally on a retirement visa/extension.

Once again, no one must change to a "ED visa" ..... if they are already here legally on another visa reason.

But I COULD do it, if I wanted to ...... but why?

• Like 1

Hi all,

Regards to you all

Was that just one immigration officer or did you talk to a supervisor also. Never ever accept the word of one immigration officer at a counter.

The only requirement is that you have a non immigrant visa entry. The police order does not specify a type of non immigrant visa for any extension.

Hi all,

Regards to you all

This make me worried: "Officer said I can't get extension for a different visa class..".As I planning to change from Ed extension to retirement extension and there are members that done that. with out problems. What office was this?I wonder if there was some other issue with your marriage extension application?

My case is not marriage it is a Thai child. Birth cert and house book state me as father and I also showed him an official letter of court that my case of getting legal parental right is in progress and also a letter which shows that I have to be interviewed in a few weeks. Immigration officer still denied. I have to leave the country and come back as tourist then he can give me 60 days extension or apply for an Non-O 90 days single outside of the country.

I went to border yesterday to make a quick run to get a 30 days visa on arrival and even with all papers like birth cert,court letter, interview appointment it was a long talking with the officer at the Thai border. He told me that I should get a Non-O and not do that visa on arrival visa run because it is not allowed anymore to just go out and comeback as tourist. Especially if you are already 9months on ED extensions like me. At last I got my 30 days but I must say I felt very uncomfortable at the border. Today I will go get my 'promised' 60 days extension and hope that I get full parental right soon,so I can apply for 1year extension