New passport reset teaching waiver

If I get a new passport on my next trip to America does TCT track this?

I would not need to transfer any stamps or visa but start fresh.

I already taught in bkk 4 years and used both my waivers about education degree.

I plan to get a education degree but would like to continue teaching while studying.

I think hat if you have done the Thai culture course and show that you are currently studying for an degree in education to become fully licensed (and maybe take a test or two to become licensed) you might get another waiver.

in the past I believe a new passport reset the teaching waiver, but with the new registration system I am not sure that it will. I doubt it is possible, but maybe others have recent experience with this.

So, you're just asking how to teach illegally, as you'd already taught for for four years and you're asking if they're so stupid not to find that out?

You're planning to get an education degree, but you seem to lack of some common sense.

Your question is similar to: " If I kill somebody and nobody will find out that it was me, I'll be fine. "

Your thread should be deleted immediately. Good luck.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

In the TCT's database you're searchable on full name or passport number. However, recently the TCT started building unique IDs for all teachers in the database.

@casualbiker - B.Eds are held by several universities that have an international program but such courses may take 4-5 years of study. Better to think about a M.Ed. or Grad. Dip. Ed or TP. The first takes less than 2 years and the latter 1 year. Obviously, provided you're currently holding a B.A. or B.Sc.

• Like 1

The question is more similar to :

Can I buy pirated movies in Thailand?

Can I make copies of copyright books in Thailand?

Can I give bribe to police to avoid a ticket?

Can a person be a true tourist with 3 years of tourist visas or are they doing something else in Thailand.?

Can I buy imitation Rolex in Thailand?

Can I buy imitation of name brand clothes?

Can I cheat on my taxes?

Probably should not do any of these but it happens in Thailand.

In the TCT's database you're searchable on full name or passport number. However, recently the TCT started building unique IDs for all teachers in the database.

@casualbiker - B.Eds are held by several universities that have an international program but such courses may take 4-5 years of study. Better to think about a M.Ed. or Grad. Dip. Ed or TP. The first takes less than 2 years and the latter 1 year. Obviously, provided you're currently holding a B.A. or B.Sc.

Really! The wife asked khurusapha and they stated that they were NOT aware of any B'ed taught in English in Thailand .. any links would be appreciated. Thanks.

When exactly do you 'plan' to get your Education degree, seeing as you have been working here for 4 years and done nothing about it so far ?

And you know where there is a Bachelors in Education taught in English available in Thailand. If so please share!!

Maybe like others he has been taking the now postponed tests! Ever thought of that?

• Like 1

I already taught in bkk 4 years and used both my waivers about education degree.

I plan to get a education degree but would like to continue teaching while studying.

I recently came across this course - http://www.unitefl.com/big-news-new-era-u-teaching-diploma-now-offered/

The course provider claims:-

The CPT is a one-year, part-time, online study course supplemented by your teaching experience to qualify you fully and internationally as a proper teacher. It is recognised by the Thailand Ministry of Education to meet their stipulations for a permanent local teaching licence and provides a very suitable solution for TEFL teachers needing to get qualified.

Most importantly, once enrolled you may extend your teachers licence while studying. This is a unique agreement between the university representatives and Khurusapa (TCT). While all licencing commitments from the TCT are usually considered on a case-by-case basis, our students have a good track record of obtaining licence extensions, following a year of successfully running a similar program for Filipino students through the Philippine’s Women’s University in 2013.

What I have done:

have already taken 2 of the teachers test and passed the easiest test.

I inquired about people that have passed the tests and what to study.

I got a study guide from a friend about the 4 tests with multiple choice questions and read it and practiced the questions.

I bought books from Amazon on teaching theory and started reading them.

I went to seminar on teaching math.

I have asked to be informed about other seminars.

I ask other teachers to observe their class.

I have inquired many times about the next date of the teaching tests with hopes that my studying would enable me to pass all the tests.

But now the test option is not available.

Until recently, teachers could get more than 2 waivers by attempting the tests and demonstrating they are attending seminars and trying to improve.

But the rules changed (or started enforcing) quickly.

Why do you assume the negative position that I have not been trying to comply?

Because of the rapid change on limiting teachers to two exemptions, teachers with 4 years teaching experience(no education degree) and commitment to teaching are being replaced by inexperienced teachers (no education degree) that want to use teaching as a way to stay longer in Thailand.

I am not sure this will accomplish the goal of improving the quality of teachers.

I am not convinced that getting an online PGCEI certificate will improve the quality of a teacher.

I think schools should evaluate teachers and send to TCT. Teachers with good recommendations from employers would be able to keep teaching.

• Like 1

Because of the rapid change on limiting teachers to two exemptions, teachers with 4 years teaching experience(no education degree) and commitment to teaching are being replaced by inexperienced teachers (no education degree) that want to use teaching as a way to stay longer in Thailand.

I am not sure this will accomplish the goal of improving the quality of teachers.

I am not convinced that getting an online PGCEI certificate will improve the quality of a teacher.

I think schools should evaluate teachers and send to TCT. Teachers with good recommendations from employers would be able to keep teaching.

Wow, this statement sums up Thailand eduaction pretty much. Good on ya.

I try to follow the rules, but even the Hr department at large schools are unsure of current requirements or future requirements.

People post rules stating 27 October at 3:00 the rule is ...

But tomorrow it may be different

Yeah I hear ya there man, I think there's a lot of changes happening a bit too quickly. It seems for now the test option is off the table...sucks for thsoe who are in the middle of it. I know one fella who's finished three of the tests...I can't even imagine how pissed he is at this whole situation.

The answer is simple ... No! A new passport isn't going to renew or reset anything with TCT. As mentioned above, you have a unique number in their database that isn't tied to only your passport number. You can search by your name and see your waivers on their website. All is not lost. It is possible to get a third waiver per the Krusapa website. They made an announcement on 6 August to this effect. It is in Thai on their website. Schools and HR Departments all over the country are in a frenzy and don't know the rules. My school said 'no' third waivers were possible with studying. Over and over I heard this. So, we decided not to put our faith in someone else. A teacher went to Krusapa himself. He was granted a third waiver with no conditions. He was at the office in Bangkok for 20 minutes. He had an 'interview' for all of one minute. So, don't believe everything you hear. Get your things in order and walk in yourself. I will be facing the very same situation next year at which time I will have been at the same school for nearly 7 years. I am not very concerned about it. This is Thailand. There's always a way even when everyone else says there isn't.

• Like 2

Yeah I hear ya there man, I think there's a lot of changes happening a bit too quickly. It seems for now the test option is off the table...sucks for thsoe who are in the middle of it. I know one fella who's finished three of the tests...I can't even imagine how pissed he is at this whole situation.

Supposedly, the knowledge tests are to restart in the new year.

Most people who already have a bachelors degree don't go back for a B.Ed. Better to do a PGCE or equivilant, or even an M.Ed. There are tons of options for distance and on-site M.Ed

not all people on here are British. Why would I want to get a PGCE?

Most people who already have a bachelors degree don't go back for a B.Ed. Better to do a PGCE or equivilant, or even an M.Ed. There are tons of options for distance and on-site M.Ed

not all people on here are British. Why would I want to get a PGCE?

What would you WANT then?

a

Wow. Been in the school over 7 years.

Until this year no problem teaching long time with extension.

Did you do anything special to qualify for additional extensions?

Is it uncommon to stay for such a long time at one school? There seem to be two types of people who teach here (at my school anyway). There are several people like me who just stay. We realize we have a good thing going. Every year our salaries go up. We know the system. We know how everything works. There aren't many surprises from day to day. We all know the expectations. We follow them, and we all try to do the best job we can to improve things year after year. These teachers make up the core of the department I work in. Our positions within the department reflect the length of time we have been there. The school has over 5,000 students, so different departments are different in how they operate. I stay in my department because it is the most laid back.

The other type of teacher is more common. These are the transient types. They have lengthy resumes with jobs all over the place, both geographically and nature of their employment (language school, kindergarten, primary, secondary, etc.). Most of them see out their contract. Then, they move on. Once in a while, they go off to a different department. Nonetheless, they never seem to "settle down". I suppose they are more common because they are the type of people that are drawn to distant lands to work and live in the first place. In Thailand, that work just happens to be teaching English because it is one of the few jobs they will allow us to do legally; although, the goalposts continually change and it may not always be how it is now.

As for my extensions, I haven't had any problems. I haven't had to do anything out of the ordinary. I sat through a few of the tests on two occasions. They weren't fun at all. I passed the first one, but I think anyone should be able to pass that test. I am still curious what the shutter settings on a camera and their functions have to do with teaching English to students in Thailand, but I don't think Krusapa will ever enlighten me about that. Last time, I missed passing Section #2 by 2 points, so that was a bit irritating. Other than that, I haven't done anything. I should note that I have never taken the so-called Thai Culture Course. I'm not sure why it wasn't required of me. All of my colleagues required it for their waivers, but I have asked many times over the years and been told I didn't need to concern myself with it. I don't think I will ever get an answer to that either. I suppose taking it in the future could show some sort of advancement or progression in the eyes of TCT if I encounter problems somewhere down the road. For now, I am good. I will require my third waiver next September. A lot of things can change in that time, so I am just sitting tight and watching carefully.

My TESOL Certificate isn't your average Text and Talk program. I did take 15 credit hours of graduate level coursework at a well-respected university in America prior to coming here. My coursework represents half of a Masters Degree in TESOL. I don't know how that plays a part in any of this. Until now, I haven't pressed the issue by highlighting this coursework on my transcripts. At a glance, it would be difficult to differentiate between these courses and my undergraduate classes which resulted in my BSc in Finance and Business. I simply double-dipped in my last two semesters because I had already decided that I would try living in Thailand upon graduation. I was broke, so I spent a year in Korea prior to taking my job here.

So, I guess we will see what the future holds! Things are always exciting here in Thailand with all of these requirements. More often than not, they are essentially meaningless. I looked at the "tests" as a tax on teachers. I know several people who paid their money, got their receipt, and submitted those documents for another waiver on more than on occasion. They never actually went to the testing center or bothered to take any tests. I figured I might as well give it a shot if I was going to spend the money! Nobody ever checked. These people have been fine. So, it's just smoke and mirrors ... smoke and mirrors.

Good luck to ya! I'm sure you will sort things out. Language schools and universities don't have this requirement, so there is still work out there. Finding a language school that is 100% above board and helpful with the work permit and non-immigrant visa can be a challenge from what I understand; although, there must be some diamonds out there. Chok dee na khrap!!!

• Like 2

If you have a 4 year degree you can pick up a teaching degree in elementary education at Ramah rude during a period of two summers. It's from a university in USA. I here its not cheap but the guy said it was good. Check it out!

Do you have a link to this program? I can't find anything by googling the name you mentioned. I have never heard of it, and I have been looking at different options for quite some time. New programs seem to be popping up all the time. Simultaneously, programs that catered to the rules that were applicable not too long ago are shutting down frequently (i.e. PGCE). They want a MEd if you don't have a license from back home. That is my understanding. It seems to me that a PGCE isn't enough for them to grant you a permanent license any longer. That is unfortunate because I know quite a few teachers who have spent large sums of money for these programs. Some of them have a MEd program where the credits can roll into it. Unfortunately, several do not. That means these people are out of luck if their goal is a Permanent Teaching License in Thailand. See above for my thoughts on continuing to teach on waivers. The fact that the goalposts change so frequently lately should make anyone hesitant to put large sums of money into further education if the sole purpose is to remain in Thailand to teach. A teaching degree from Thailand might not pass for much back in your own country or elsewhere should you decide to move on (or be forced to do so). That's why I am very hesitant to continue studying. In America, there are a few fast-track programs to get a certification without having to take any Masters Degree program. Ultimately, I may end up doing that due to my own person situation (18 month old son and his education).

I HAVE TO AGREE.

teaching English illegally is the real equivalent to murder. Lucky it is not quite up to the level of genocide.

But its close.

So, you're just asking how to teach illegally, as you'd already taught for for four years and you're asking if they're so stupid not to find that out?

You're planning to get an education degree, but you seem to lack of some common sense.

Your question is similar to: " If I kill somebody and nobody will find out that it was me, I'll be fine. "

Your thread should be deleted immediately. Good luck.

• Like 1

If you have a 4 year degree you can pick up a teaching degree in elementary education at Ramah rude during a period of two summers. It's from a university in USA. I here its not cheap but the guy said it was good. Check it out!

Do you have a link to this program? I can't find anything by googling the name you mentioned. I have never heard of it, and I have been looking at different options for quite some time. New programs seem to be popping up all the time. Simultaneously, programs that catered to the rules that were applicable not too long ago are shutting down frequently (i.e. PGCE). They want a MEd if you don't have a license from back home. That is my understanding. It seems to me that a PGCE isn't enough for them to grant you a permanent license any longer. That is unfortunate because I know quite a few teachers who have spent large sums of money for these programs. Some of them have a MEd program where the credits can roll into it. Unfortunately, several do not. That means these people are out of luck if their goal is a Permanent Teaching License in Thailand. See above for my thoughts on continuing to teach on waivers. The fact that the goalposts change so frequently lately should make anyone hesitant to put large sums of money into further education if the sole purpose is to remain in Thailand to teach. A teaching degree from Thailand might not pass for much back in your own country or elsewhere should you decide to move on (or be forced to do so). That's why I am very hesitant to continue studying. In America, there are a few fast-track programs to get a certification without having to take any Masters Degree program. Ultimately, I may end up doing that due to my own person situation (18 month old son and his education).

Im guessing he/she means Ruamrudee International School. Perhaps they run a joint program with a university in the US. I looked into that many years ago and it sounds familiar.

I ended up doing a GradDipEd through UNE in Australia, part time over 4 years. The requirement was that I was teaching the correct levels in my subject area (and I was). I had two Principals Reports done based on my teaching performance (here in my school in Thailand). I went back to OZ for two residential schools. One exam - done at IDP in Bangkok, and the remainder were assignments sent electronically. I'm qualified to teach in Australia if I want to. I'm on my second 5 year teaching licence now. If Thailand decides this is not good enough, then there will be practically no teachers left here. I'll be off to teach back home then (or get a university job here, and get away from all that MoE/TCT nonsense).