New passport reset teaching waiver

I think hat if you have done the Thai culture course and show that you are currently studying for an degree in education to become fully licensed (and maybe take a test or two to become licensed) you might get another waiver.

in the past I believe a new passport reset the teaching waiver, but with the new registration system I am not sure that it will. I doubt it is possible, but maybe others have recent experience with this.

If you are studying for a degree in education you are either doing it in Thai or not in Thailand. I've heard people insist that Bachelors or Masters in Education, taught in English do exist in Thailand, but they are like pink elephants in that everyone has a friend who seen one but no-one can ever show me one. I'd love to be wrong - it would be great news for many people.

• Like 1

Longevity at a school often depends on subject and grade level.

Before I taught at a large all boys school English program.

Grade 1-6 teacher and grade 10-12 teacher have longevity.

But grade 7-9 subject teachers seldom passed probation and seldom were offered a renewal contract. I only know of 2 grade 7-9 teachers that got 2 or more contract renewals

Its interesting Thailand welcomes new teachers to try learning about teaching with Thai students

but want long term dedicated teachers to spend over 200,000 baht for education degrees.

I think you're looking at this entirely the wrong way. They want people to get their degrees and culture course. They recognize that most people coming here to teach won't have that, so they're giving the option to pursue them while people work within a very reasonable timeframe. I won't argue the merits of the requirement for the degree, but rather that IF we accept that they want people to have ED degrees then I don't think the timeframe is that bad.

It's not so unfounded. In America you can get an emergency teaching license if there's a need in a school and they can't get anyone. You're expected to get licensed within the year or 18 months if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

Most people who already have a bachelors degree don't go back for a B.Ed. Better to do a PGCE or equivilant, or even an M.Ed. There are tons of options for distance and on-site M.Ed

not all people on here are British. Why would I want to get a PGCE?

So you're ignoring the part where I said "or equivilant". Noice!

And why not have a PGCE? If your goal is to work around the world then it's probably an easier sell than other teaching licenses...

Before I worked for a large school and they thought as long as you took the teachers test and went to seminars that it was possible to keep getting waivers.

I think about 3 teachers out of about 90 foreign teachers had degrees and teaching license.

Fully qualified teachers taught at international schools at twice the salary.

I came to Thailand to teach respectful Thai students.

I agree the PGCEI is cheaper and probably a lot easier but I don't think teaching is a good career to learn online.

I hope a M.Ed at ABAC would be better recognized around the world but my goal is teaching in Thailand.

I feel the interaction of students in the classroom and classroom observation (although only 2) will have greater benefit.

I am willing to pay extra money and effort to gain measurable improvement in my teaching.

Do teachers that completed the PGCEI feel it improved their teaching or only cleared an obstacle to getting a license to continue teaching in Thailand.

Same question about ABAC.

Which would do you feel would benefit my students most?

• 8 years later...