Land Of 'smile'

steven w

It appears word is now getting around about the violent nature of the 'land of smile'.

Norwich Union, one of the biggest insurance companies in the world has just put up its premiums for travel insurance to the 'land of smiles'.

Norwich Union says that the 'land of smiles' is now amongst the most dangerous places to visit with regard to violence, theft, accidents and food poisoning.

The whisper on the ground amongst the Thais is that the country is in political and social meltdown.

They will not tell you so (if you are a foreigner) unless they know you and trust you.

me and my missus who is Thai are strongly considering getting out.

It appears word is now getting around about the violent nature of the 'land of smile'.

Norwich Union, one of the biggest insurance companies in the world has just put up its premiums for travel insurance to the 'land of smiles'.

Norwich Union says that the 'land of smiles' is now amongst the most dangerous places to visit with regard to violence, theft, accidents and food poisoning.

The whisper on the ground amongst the Thais is that the country is in political and social meltdown.

They will not tell you so (if you are a foreigner) unless they know you and trust you.

Give me a break! What a load of $@#$%. There are doom-and-gloom naysayers in every country predicting the sky is falling. These people are never satisified with anything in their lives and always have nothing to do but complain about the political, economic, social situation of their environment. Thailand certainly isn't perfect, but it isn't about to fall apart. Sorry to be so blunt, but you are obviously very naive to believe everything you hear, especially from your obviously over pessimistic Thai friends.

Edit: sorry I should have checked your history of posts before responding and would have realized that you're obviously nothing but the worst kind of a troll. It's useless to even respond to people such as yourself. Anyone wanting the check on the OP, this thread where he advocates dropping a nuclear bomb on Bangkok, and also can't get his story straight if he's living in Pattaya or CM proves what a troll he is.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...pic=60815&st=15

Edited by Soju

Well, I'm sure there is no evil organization running Thailand but I would guess that eventually the poor will demand more from this country. The poor people here still are treated pretty badly by the people with power here; I'm talking about justice, pay, health insurance, education, and respect.

People in Thailand don't feel free to criticise those with power. If you speak Thai and talk to poor people you will know this. People still fear retribution violent or nonviolent for speaking out. A security guard in my building was beaten up by two ex-policemen connected to his company because they thought he stole keys to break into rooms. He didn't. The ex-policemen went wild on him in the name of the company (SSG security company by the way) sending him to the hospital. The local police did nothing for him. Everyone knows the victim and what was done to him. He ended up in the hospital.

His parents came from upcountry to take him home. He was paid 30,000 baht by the company for his beating. If he wants more he was told to take it to court. Of course he can't. Thailand should be defending its poor but instead it is spending money on other lavish endevours. What happened to this man is a terrible example of what Thailand really is. If you don't agree with this please please tell your story of someone from a dirt poor family getting justice here.

By the way, if anyone from the news would like to investigate this true story feel free to send me a message.

As for the initial poster I too get a feeling that there is a bit of anger in his post. It looks a bit like a troll's post but there is some truth in it. Do you really think that Thai people are happy with the way corruption is out of control here and how the courts are worthless? The people who I talk to put up with it but desperately want change. How long can they live like this?

I guess its all about personal view, from my situation i personally feel safer in Thailand.

Yes there are some bad areas but no more serious than bad ares in the uk..or anywhere else in the world..

If its unsafe move somewhere safe, you cut your own cloth in life..

same here but we are getting out of the uk and going to Thailand for the same reasons...

I had a read of the link Soju offered and it does make for interesting reading stevenw, no wonder you failed to respond....it does make you look a total idiot im sorry to say

:o

Well bully for them Norwich Union, one of the biggest insurance companies in the world has just put up its premiums for travel insurance to the 'land of smiles'.

I hope they can scare off all the the warts that want to come here. I have a feeling that with Thai Tourism on the rise that what we need is less euro trash expats. This was a great place back in the sixities seventies when the people who came here were performng year long work (abet much was for the military effort in Vietnam) and non just on a holiday at the cheapest or only spot they could find. Many of these earlier expats are now returning with wives of many years to find that it is only how cheap it is that matters to the new expats. :D:D Hey guys smile it isn't everyone that I have aimed this rant at. Many of you younger guys also have strong local ties with your villages, families and children and hope for a little more permanentcy (sp) and the expat comunity :o:D

Sorry just my opinion. Getting late and the beers have been delicious and many.

Thai ranger :D

Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of evils. Lt Gen John Stark, New Hampshire Militia 1776

Well, I'm sure there is no evil organization running Thailand but I would guess that eventually the poor will demand more from this country. The poor people here still are treated pretty badly by the people with power here; I'm talking about justice, pay, health insurance, education, and respect.

People in Thailand don't feel free to criticise those with power. If you speak Thai and talk to poor people you will know this. People still fear retribution violent or nonviolent for speaking out. A security guard in my building was beaten up by two ex-policemen connected to his company because they thought he stole keys to break into rooms. He didn't. The ex-policemen went wild on him in the name of the company (SSG security company by the way) sending him to the hospital. The local police did nothing for him. Everyone knows the victim and what was done to him. He ended up in the hospital.

His parents came from upcountry to take him home. He was paid 30,000 baht by the company for his beating. If he wants more he was told to take it to court. Of course he can't. Thailand should be defending its poor but instead it is spending money on other lavish endevours. What happened to this man is a terrible example of what Thailand really is. If you don't agree with this please please tell your story of someone from a dirt poor family getting justice here.

By the way, if anyone from the news would like to investigate this true story feel free to send me a message.

As for the initial poster I too get a feeling that there is a bit of anger in his post. It looks a bit like a troll's post but there is some truth in it. Do you really think that Thai people are happy with the way corruption is out of control here and how the courts are worthless? The people who I talk to put up with it but desperately want change. How long can they live like this?

I agreed there are still alot of corruptions here in Thailand. I see it almost in every months in Ubon where police would setup a check point to check people who are driving with out a driver licence. That's a good thing right? umm yes.no.. it's a very expensive penalty and the money goes into the police pockets as of they don't get paid enough by the Government. When you call the police to come break out fights, it took them 5 hours or more, and the police station is 4 blocks away. :o

life was better in the sixties and seventies when people came for the military effort?? you say ??

what effort was that?? murdering innocent villagers and burning them out of their houses.

carpet bombing them and then getting yourselves booted out and defeated!

they really must have been the good old days!!!!!!!!

I assume that the Norwich union report is correct, however it is about tourism and travel insurance.

I have been coming to Thailand and living/working here for 13 years and I am married to a Thai lady and we have a 2 year old son.

I live outside of a small village in Central Thailand and in all my time in Thailand which is about 8 years I have never personally encountered voilence, very little of my stuff has ever been stolen (sometimes things grow legs and run away but a word or two generally brings them back). I have had a couple of minor accidents and food poisoning, not really. A bad case of the sh1ts on the odd occaision but nothing unusual.

My wife and I have no intention of leaving Thailand at all. It is her country and the one I have chosen to live in.

I have lived and worked in much worse countries than Thailand such as Pakistan, Bangladesh and Angola to name 3, and I have refused to work in Afghanistan or Iraq.

So IMHO if less tourists come to Thailand, so be it.

I do understand that Thailand is going through political ans social changes now and I believe that things will improve, though not in the short term.

If you and your wife are strongly considering getting out it is up to you but we are staying put as I suspect the majority of farangs who are married and invested in Thailand. It is our home too.

thankyou for your contribution.

I obviously hit a nerve............................ it is true that the truth hurts.

Personal insults are not what I had in mind when I made the post, merely a subject for discussion amongst members.

steven w

Are you working for this insurance company or did they give you some money to create panic :o in order to accelarate the sales ?

I would guess that anyone sensible will be making there own judgements based on experience, rather than be influenced by some report by Norwich Union or even some bloke posting on here about the impending apocalypse in Thailand... :D

totster :D

I wouldnt dream of telling you what is dangerous.

I am merely saying that the Insurance community has noticed the increased danger associated with Thailand, and brought it up as a subject for discussion.

Obviously Chang Mai is a lot safer than your disfunctional city, but I wouldnt want to live there either.

Aviva Insurance (Thailand)are no longer associated with Norwich Union in Thailand. They sold their stake in NU to a Japanese Co. last year. ( My UK car insurance is with NU direct)

However if you are considering new car insurance ( or need any other insurance) ThaiSri Insurance Co Ltd. ( Part of the Zurich Ins. Group) offer 15% discount if you have any UK car insurance. The market price used to value the vehicle can also go down to 80% of the market price( discount off the new price). They also offer the UK NCB.

They need the "book registration of your car,insured name and address".

On the subject of safety in LOS, just read the scare notices sent out by the British Embassy here.

They repeatedly say all areas of LOS are subject to terrorist threats. I challenged them to substantiate their claim but they declined.Personally I feel safer here in Korat than in many places in the UK. Common sense and keeping your wits about you are the order of the day. The world is becoming a more violent place. Some places are more threatening than others. The forces for peace in the world are loosing ground. The US with GW Bush and lackey Blair are hel_l bent in protecting the interests of Big Business anywhere in the world where it is threatened.

The trick is to try to stay out of the firing line.

nice one korat correct

makes a change for somebody to put a good point forward, instead of the usual crowd we have on this forum.

If you post something they do not agree with they take it personally start insulting you, call you a troll (whatever that is), start going off on tangents about the Vietnam war and their times in Angola and such like- all very peculiar.

Maybe there should be a compulsary IQ test for members who wish to join up, I fear some current members are challenged in that department.

nice one korat correct

makes a change for somebody to put a good point forward, instead of the usual crowd we have on this forum.

If you post something they do not agree with they take it personally start insulting you, call you a troll (whatever that is), start going off on tangents about the Vietnam war and their times in Angola and such like- all very peculiar.

Maybe there should be a compulsary IQ test for members who wish to join up, I fear some current members are challenged in that department.

Actually Steven W if you read my post I did say that there are better and worse places than Thailand which is not really going off at a tangent, it was comparing Thailand with other places that I have personal knowledge about. I have lived and worked in about 25 countries and for me Thailand is the country that I wish to live with my Thai family, extended as well, until I die here.

This is a discussion forum where anyone who is a member is free to agree or disagree with other members.

The usual crowd as you call them have been around a long time and have a wealth of experience about Thailand. I suspect no-one who actually lives here has a policy with the Norwich Union, especially as it is an insurance cover for tourists.

Perhaps there should be a compulsory IQ test for members but are you so confident that you would pass it?

I first came to Thailand in 1986 and I have lived here permanently since 1992. I have never experienced any acts of hostility until this year where within 2 months I was the victim of 2 random acts of mindless violence, the first included my wife as a helpless and hapless victim.

I was driving our silent Honda Wave down the dirt road in my brother-in law's village when a 4 year old child,without any warning, cut across us on his bicycle. Perhaps he had had an unpleasant experience with an unfriendly farang uncle, whatever, we swerved to avoid hurting the demon driver, but fell, sustaining bruises and cuts with the grit ground in, the scars still remain as an ugly reminder.

That was nothing however compared to the second incident which involved a rogue cow deliberately emerging from hidden bushes and cantering suddenly across the road in front of me. It was obviously an ambush, perhaps attempting to liberate me of my wallet and learnt from the southern terrorists, and resulted in temporary unconsciousness on my part, a broken camera, rib, and a night in Bandung hospital.

I informed Norwich Union, as well as The British Embassy, who will undoubtedly be soon issuing a travel warning for Thailand- beware of small boys on bicycles and cows with an attitude, this country isn't as safe as I thought!

I detect that Thailand is one of the only countries you can afford to live in, are you a first world reverse economic migrant?

In answer to your question, yes I would certainly pass any IQ test.

PS I dont reqiure your life story, thankyou.

I first came to Thailand in 1986 and I have lived here permanently since 1992. I have never experienced any acts of hostility until this year where within 2 months I was the victim of 2 random acts of mindless violence, the first included my wife as a helpless and hapless victim.

I was driving our silent Honda Wave down the dirt road in my brother-in law's village when a 4 year old child,without any warning, cut across us on his bicycle. Perhaps he had had an unpleasant experience with an unfriendly farang uncle, whatever, we swerved to avoid hurting the demon driver, but fell, sustaining bruises and cuts with the grit ground in, the scars still remain as an ugly reminder.

That was nothing however compared to the second incident which involved a rogue cow deliberately emerging from hidden bushes and cantering suddenly across the road in front of me. It was obviously an ambush, perhaps attempting to liberate me of my wallet and learnt from the southern terrorists, and resulted in temporary unconsciousness on my part, a broken camera, rib, and a night in Bandung hospital.

I informed Norwich Union, as well as The British Embassy, who will undoubtedly be soon issuing a travel warning for Thailand- beware of small boys on bicycles and cows with an attitude, this country isn't as safe as I thought!

BanNork

Spot on !! Maybe Steven W was "the little boy" on the bicycle or he may have been "the cow" with an attitude like he has :o Either way if you have a problem go home to mommy and don't be an expat. Or just buy more insurance. :D

As billd776 so apropriately said we ain't no tourists. My self I've been here or have been married to a Thai since 1969. :D

So "If you can't stand the heat get out of the Kitchen" Harry S Truman Or "This is not our first rodeo" Unknown; Or "There are only two can'ts in this outfit if you can't do it. You can't stay. Quote by Sgt Ed Morris USMC Guadalcanal. :D

The bottom line is if your scared don't come If you need insurance don't come. Try a nice Holiday with Mum.

Oh Well!! Here come those beers again :D Just when I thought I was getting over missing you. :D

Thai Ranger

Edited by ThaiRanger

BanNork

Spot on !! Maybe Steven W was "the little boy" on the bicycle or he may have been "the cow" with an attitude like he has :o Either way if you have a problem go home to mommy and don't be an expat. Or just buy more insurance. :D

As billd776 so apropriately said we ain't no tourists. My self I've been here or have been married to a Thai since 1969. :D

So "If you can't stand the heat get out of the Kitchen" Harry S Truman Or "This is not our first rodeo" Unknown; Or "There are only two can'ts in this outfit if you can't do it. You can't stay. Quote by Sgt Ed Morris USMC Guadalcanal. :D

Thai Ranger

Or the quote from LT COL Vaughn as he got lifted up from the American Embassy roof while Saigon was burning and the Vietcon were over running the compound....

"If you cant stand the heat get out"

I dont really care if you have been in Thailand since 1969 or 1669.

Norwich Union do not just give insurance for tourists.

I believe sir you have made a total fool of yourself on this forum, not for the first time either.

If you begin all your sentences with the word 'so', you may be of very limited intelligence, a six year old would know this basic rule of English grammar.

I've obviously hit a nerve with this post, the truth will often bring out such strange responses from the less gifted.

Norwich Union will insure anything from ships to satellites, they do not just deal in tourist cover.

Please respect the old adage: 'Please engage brain before opening mouth.'

failure to follow this basic instruction will make you appear quite ridiculous, but I suppose you are used to that by now.

Thanyou very much for your considered input to this discussion.

If you begin all your sentences with the word 'so', you may be of very limited intelligence, a six year old would know this basic rule of English grammar.

I've obviously hit a nerve with this post, the truth will often bring out such strange responses from the less gifted.

Norwich Union will insure anything from ships to satellites, they do not just deal in tourist cover.

Please respect the old adage: 'Please engage brain before opening mouth.'

failure to follow this basic instruction will make you appear quite ridiculous, but I suppose you are used to that by now.

Thanyou very much for your considered input to this discussion.

I really think you should have another read of your original post. Putting aside your own grammatical and spelling blunders (since when has any forum been about that!), your post was about Norwich Union and it's travel insurance. Quote:

Now, forgive me if I am wrong, but what is travel insurance for if it is not for tourists? I expect there are quite a few on business trips that take out "travel insurance", but I would guess they deal mainly with tourists. I certainly don't think you were referring to their satellite insurance in your post.

There is a huge difference between hitting a nerve and making a <deleted> of yourself.