Tamarind

Kanga Japan

Can anyone tell me the Thai name (and Thai script) for:

1. Tamarind paste (usually sold in a jar)

2. Tamarind block (wet tamarind in a compressed block) (MAKHAM BPIAK มะขามเปียก)?

3. Is FAK MAKHAM (ฝักมะขาม) correct for tamarind pods?

4. What is NAM MAKHAM PIYOK (น้ำมะขามปียก)?

Also are there any other forms of TAMARIND sold, which I should know about? I know of tamarind water - NAM SOM MAKHAM (น้ำส้มมะขาม).

I think there seems to be a problem with the script for MAKHAM BPIAK and NAM MAKHAM PIYOK. One must be incorrect.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Kanga Japan

Only know these varieties of tamarind: makham priaw (sour); makham waan (sweet) makham thet (a white fleshed tamarind which grows wild and many Thais enjoy)

Regarding makham bpiak, not sure about this but may be เปียก (wet). Makham is almost always soaked in warm water to soften before incorporating into a dish, so this term might be found in receipes to refer to makham which has been allowed to soak in water, but I don't believe this is a separate variety of tamarind.

• Like 1

Dear Gecko123,

Thank you for your reply. I was not really looking for different varieties of tamarind (although I would welcome any information on that also), but different forms of tamarind, which you buy to use for cooking (fresh, dried, paste, moist pulp block, etc.).

Thank you for the MAKHAM THET. That is a new one for me. I appreciate it. Can you give me the Thai script for it?

Edited by Kanga Japan

I don't think (1) has been answered yet.

The stuff I use I wouldn't describe as a paste - it's more liquid than that, which I think is the norm here.

The label on the bottle in my fridge reads น้ำมะขามสำหรับปรุงอาหาร - NAM MAKHAN SAMRAP PRUNG AHAN - literally tamarind water for cooking food.

However, other brands have different descriptions. Not helpful, I know.

• Like 1

Dear AyG,

Thanks for remembering that all my questions had not been answered.

I appreciate you checking out the label for me and also translating it into English. That is helpful.

I guess that there is no actual specific term for tamarind paste - just descriptions.

Edited by Kanga Japan

I'm pretty sure that the core term is NAM MAKHAM (tamarind water), and other expressions are added to clarify what type. KHEMKHON means "full flavoured" (or it could be translated "dark and sticky" - not sure either way in this context). SAMRAP PRUNG AHAN shows it's for cooking, rather than for drinking (the other major use for tamarind water). It can be sweet, it can be sour. The variations are boundless.

• Like 1

When it's describing liquids, เข้มข้น means "concentrated/concentrate".

When used with food, such as น้ำแกงเข้มข้น it'll mean full-flavored soup. If you split the words, เข้ม can mean dark-colored and ข้น can mean sticky, but เข้มข้น together will lose those 2 respective meanings.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 2

Thanks AyG,

I understand that SAMRAP PRUNG AHAN indicates that it is for cooking, rather than drinking and appreciate that explanation. It will be handy.

Regarding the use of the expression TAMARIND WATER, when most cooking sites and recipes refer to that, they mean the liquid which is left after dissolving the pulp/concentrate in water, squeezing it out and straining it, so I think it should be kept separate from the TAMARIND PASTE.

Thanks for your help.

I don't think (1) has been answered yet.

The stuff I use I wouldn't describe as a paste - it's more liquid than that, which I think is the norm here.

The label on the bottle in my fridge reads น้ำมะขามสำหรับปรุงอาหาร - NAM MAKHAN SAMRAP PRUNG AHAN - literally tamarind water for cooking food.

However, other brands have different descriptions. Not helpful, I know.

Might ปรุง here be used in the sense of 'seasoning' or 'flavouring' food, rather than 'cooking'? A minor distinction, I know......

• Like 1

Dear RickBradford,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I think I will leave this to AyG to comment on. He has more knowledge of the Thai language than I do.

Bradford is correct; ปรุง used here would be translated as "seasoning" rather than "cooking." Pretty sure AyG will agree with this.

Dear RickBradford,

I think I will leave this to AyG to comment on. He has more knowledge of the Thai language than I do.

Bradford is correct; ปรุง used here would be translated as "seasoning" rather than "cooking." Pretty sure AyG will agree with this.

In English when a recipe says "seasoning" it means salt and pepper. In American the meaning has been extended to things such as "Cajun Seasoning". However, my gut feeling is that "seasoning" always refers to dry ingredients.

The RID definition of ปรุง is ประสมหรือประกอบให้เหมาะส่วน (to mix or prepare food to make it suitable).

One term for a cook is ผู้ปรุงอาหาร - a person who "prungs" food. I'm pretty sure that a cook doesn't only season or flavour food, so I stand by my original loose translation of "cooking", but am quite happy to be corrected by one who knows better.

Dear RickBradford,

In English when a recipe says "seasoning" it means salt and pepper. In American the meaning has been extended to things such as "Cajun Seasoning". However, my gut feeling is that "seasoning" always refers to dry ingredients.

The RID definition of ปรุง is ประสมหรือประกอบให้เหมาะส่วน (to mix or prepare food to make it suitable).

One term for a cook is ผู้ปรุงอาหาร - a person who "prungs" food. I'm pretty sure that a cook doesn't only season or flavour food, so I stand by my original loose translation of "cooking", but am quite happy to be corrected by one who knows better.

AyG:

Very interesting points regarding differences in definition of "seasoning" between British and American English, and about seasoning referring to "dry ingredients." In Webster's dictionary (American), the definition of "seasoning" is quite broad: "an ingredient (as a condiment, spice, or herb) added to food primarily for the savor that it imparts." I believe that tamarind would fall under this definition, in that it is being added primarily for the savor that it imparts.

Also, I checked my condiment shelf and found a bottle of ซอสปรุงรสฝาเขียว (Green Lid Seasoning Sauce), which is essentially soysauce with added sugar. The English product description on the bottle is "Seasoning Sauce."

I am still leaning towards "Tamarind water for Seasoning/Flavoring food" as the best translation, but agree this is a small point.

In Thai language there's really no clear distinction between "seasoning" and "cooking" and ปรุง can refer to both.

Note for example, while in English, you season with salt and pepper, in Thai, it's called โรยพริกไทย or โรยเกลือ which means more like sprinkle salt and pepper, so evidently in Thai, they don't consider the usage of salt and pepper as "seasoning".

If you look at any food ingredient, such as sauces, chili paste, they are all described as สำหรับปรุงอาหาร. I have for example a bottle of oyster sauce which is labelled such, so it's evidently a part of cooking process.

• Like 1