PM urges that Thai TV soap operas add some historic and patriotic contents

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A strange attempt at manipulation. If they were seriously concerned about the state of the nation, they would shuffle around to Central World cinema 9, and check out the trailers they are screening for 20 minutes before a film designed for 10 year olds. I took my son to TMNT, and lo and behold we saw unbridled extreme violence, hardcore implied sex scenes and sexual violence, and intense psychological scenes depicting the supernatural and more bloody horror. It is safe to say that everyone in the cinema, Farang and Thai alike, were shaken. It was an embarrassment to the "Thai" culture that this should occur... not to mention being probably in breach of several laws pertaining to content restriction. We saw 3 trailers of at minimum R rating, with one, (the Thai one...thumbsup.gif a possible X.). These are the real issues.coffee1.gif

Well... one might ask a Brit or an American born after 1975 what they actually know about anything relative to the history or culture of their nations?

To teach culture and history is a very good thing. That particular lacking has certainly been the demise of the west.

I don't know if you have seen and can read the Thai schoolbooks (on "history"). They are not history books. They are pure indoctrination.

So is the political correctness of the west.

As long as the production values, writing and acting quality are up to scratch, why not? Thai equivalents of the many landmark historical dramas the UK have produced over the decades would be a feast for the eyes.

Somehow, I doubt it though!

What would be good would be a Thai equivalent of David Attenbrough and the BBC Natural History unit bringing the magnificent biodiversity of the Kingdom on to the screens of the Thai people before it is forever lost to concrete cathedrals to consumerism or corrupt capitalism.

Why not "Time Team" with Tony Robinson's Thai brother. They could excavate the original Thermae Bar, or Clinton Plaza, or Washington Square would be perfect
A Thai Tony Robinson would be quite a thing.

Which leads me to wonder what a Thai 'Blackadder' might be like...

Libellous.

It would fall foul of the Kingdom's Lese Majeste laws if it was from the series which dealt with monarchical issues which apply to both present and past monarchs. The last series which had him in WW1 would pass the test though and most Thai's would be excitedly screaming Mr Bean at the telly.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"He said he would like these Thai soap operas to contain the country’s history and patriotism."

Good idea. Thailand is for the Thais. Thailand is not for the Cambodians. and it's not for people from Laos and Burma.

And whatever people say about Thailand and Japan during World War Two, it still holds true that Thailand was NEVER colonized or taken over by another country. Maybe, we as foreigners, will never understand the sense of pride that a man from South East Asia will have because of the nation never being colonized by "Europeans". How proud are the Vietnamese about winning the war against America ?

I really do think that most people want pride and dignity more than they want money and economic growth.

I beg to disagree. Thailand was taken over by a more efficient and ruthless colonial regime than the Brits or French ever managed. This started a little over 100 years ago. They are still here, they own almost every business and building. they run almost every university and government department. They make up 15% of the population but own anything up to 80% of the national wealth. They are the Thai/Chinese.

As to your last comment. Utter tosh!

Hello there, Millwall fan.

The Chinese-Thais have been here for generations, they've still got their Chinese features, but they're basically not foreigners. It's like saying 'people of European ancestry' and 'people of African ancestry' in America are actually Americans, they're not foreigners in the USA.

Now then, Cambodians and Laos people in Thailand, well, they ARE foreigners. Yes, "Thailand for the Thais". Or if you like, how about "Thailand for the people who are already Thai, it's not for people who are coming in right now".

Do you feel that Britain set up efficient and ruthless colonial regimes in America, Canada and Australia ? Do you feel that those regimes are still here ? How many of the indigenous population did these regimes kill ?

Do you reckon "most people want pride and dignity more than they want money and economic growth" is utter tosh ?? Surely, you and most people you know are NOT interested in being humiliated, just to earn a bit more money ?