Immigration scam in Sadao border

bantatnin

Just came back from Malaysia, the Dannok immigration officers were asking for 10 baht from every tourist. Are things so bad in Thailand that they cannot afford to pay their immigration officers overtime? My friends say that this has been going on for years(the officers must be very rich by now). Maybe its time for the army to do something or are they getting a commission as well?

I had posted about this as well, apparently the "mafia" in charge of the area is so powerful that nothing can stop them. The amount of money collected a day runs into thousands and when a new head is appointed, a percentage is passed to him and since no one complains, everything continues. Just look at the cars that are parked at the reserved spots at the rear of the complex and you decide. Better than doing business and its tax free.

I have passed that border several times in the past year and never had a problem, was never asked for money nor questioned.

It can be a bit chaotic though. I should add I cross the border with my own car with Malaysian plates.

Decades ago, when i crossed to Malaysia with a couple of Thai friends, they gave
a couple of baht to the custom officer behind the window. They told me it's custom
and it's to say thank you to the spirits* for [surviving] your stay in Thailand.

Since then, I always give 10 baht, ocasionally even a dollar - after I got my exit stamp.
It's just tip, a micro-tip. Nothing to do with corruption.

Have a tip thumbsup.gif - have a coffee coffee1.gif - have a nice day wai.gif - - - get's you a long way wink.png

No different if I leave 10 baht under the pillow after a good nights sleep in a hotel or at
a friends place. It's for the "ghosts*" to thank for a good nights sleep.

* Ghosts and spirits come in all kind of forms. Uniforms, waiters, nurses, cleaners, etc smile.png

The Malaysians put 1RM , 10bt, in their passport if they are crossing the border. I used to use that border a lot and a couple of Malasians I worked with mentioned about putting a 1RM in my passport and I told them there was no chance of me doing that. Malaysians are so used to every day corruption that I think in this case they have forced the habit onto the I/Os. If you want anything to get done in a Government office nb Malaysia you have to Pay a couple of Ringgit

Edited by Sena Dave

Back in the 90's I must have crossed the border well over 200 times. Working in the north of Malaysia, most weekends, over a seven year period, were spent in Thailand with some holiday weekends extending to 2/3 trips. This was mainly Tak Bai, Golok and Betong with occasional trips to Sadao.

Never asked to pay anything but was certainly aware that local Malaysians / Thais normally had to make a contribution to the local officials ball! Also, not aware of any other expats working on the same project as me paying any 'tips'.

It was well known that the cost of obtaining a posting as a senior official in that part of the world, particularly in the customs department, was well into the millions. The unofficial border traffic was not hard to spot when walking across the bridge separating Rantau Panjang and Sungai Golok immigration offices. There was a constant stream of little boats taking some interesting looking boxes across the water. The staff car park on the Golok side contained some pricey motors!

That 10b 'fee' had been going on for years, then it stopped for a while (this may have been around the time of the previous coup). It was requested by the van driver, but can't say in whose pocket it finally ended up.

Malaysia has a thing about trying to impress the round-eye tourists, I think most of the clerks and officials would be too embarrassed to take a baksheesh from one.

Edited by bendejo

Happened again. This time going to malaysia on monday, the female immigration officer asked if I arrived by car or van. when I said car, she kept the passport till i paid the 10 baht. Is there any place where I can lodge a complaint? How I wished I can have a video of the whole situation and post it on Youtube.

A few years back, I crossed the Sadao border often. At that time, there were signs everywhere (especially on the windows of the immigration kiosks) saying that you should be sure to get a receipt for any money paid to the immigration officials. In my opinion, the best way to handle it in the future would be to act surprised, and then with a big smile, pleasantly say something like, "Oh, okay. I'll need a receipt for that." Then wait for them to balk and send you on your way.

But the van drivers are another story. I hate bribes, but I did pay it a few times. Interestingly (and thankfully), it wasn't requested (required) every time. I feel your pain, bantatnin. :(

Happened again. This time going to malaysia on monday, the female immigration officer asked if I arrived by car or van. when I said car, she kept the passport till i paid the 10 baht. Is there any place where I can lodge a complaint? How I wished I can have a video of the whole situation and post it on Youtube.

What are you going to complain about?

DSC00406a_zpsd4e54931.jpg

I have passed that border several times in the past year and never had a problem, was never asked for money nor questioned.

It can be a bit chaotic though. I should add I cross the border with my own car with Malaysian plates.

U need to pay B10 per passport. And u need to park your car and clear immigration before u can drive thru.

That 10b 'fee' had been going on for years, then it stopped for a while (this may have been around the time of the previous coup). It was requested by the van driver, but can't say in whose pocket it finally ended up.

Malaysia has a thing about trying to impress the round-eye tourists, I think most of the clerks and officials would be too embarrassed to take a baksheesh from one.

The 10BTH or 1 RM the driver took was to fill our the RM Card

at the last stop just before you crossed the border. So they say whistling.gif

• 1 year later...

Well today they were trying to hit up most of the foreigners. If the foreigner didn't have the proper visa, Thai border patrol were asking them to show 20,000. Prior to arriving at the border drivers were advising tourists of this. In addition, spoke to several Phillipino teachers who advised that even though they have work permits they are getting harrased and are just putting in 100-200 Baht to avoid the problems. You can go to ATM near the border and use if you don't have on you.

The Malaysians put 1RM , 10bt, in their passport if they are crossing the border. I used to use that border a lot and a couple of Malasians I worked with mentioned about putting a 1RM in my passport and I told them there was no chance of me doing that. Malaysians are so used to every day corruption that I think in this case they have forced the habit onto the I/Os. If you want anything to get done in a Government office nb Malaysia you have to Pay a couple of Ringgit

I've lived in Malaysia for 8 years and have never paid "a couple of Ringgit" to get anything done in a government office. Neither, to my knowledge, have any of my friends or colleagues.

• 10 months later...

Hi All,

Sadao immigration checkpoint is one of the worst in the World. Indeed, all that happens here is corruption. 

I reached this checkpoint by bus and walked to the Foreigner immigration office for Visa on arrival. I walked to the officer and he proactively diverted me to an agent. I had all the necessary documents with me (10000 Baht, Return tickets and Hotel booking). The Visa application fee is 1000 Baht. Nonetheless, the agent asked for RM330 which is 2600 Baht. I walked to the officer and informed him about this and he did not accept and diverted me again to the agent. This shows the immigration officer and these agents are closely knit. They are even not ready to negotiate or reduce the cost. They live at the advantageous end since we travel for 7 hours from KL to the border and it is difficult for us to change our plans and return. Finally, he agreed to reduce it to RM310 which is 2400 Bhat. 

Also, when you exit Sadao, you are forced to pay RM10 or 100Baht to just get an exit stamp. This is truly ridiculous. 

I cant imagine how much of money these individuals are making by just conning people. 

My sincere advice to all of you is, please do not get conned by these guys. It is always better to fly to Thailand since the immigration officers at airport checkpoint do not take advantage of people to this extent. 

I just avoid that border altogether. Always trying to pull something. The last time told my Thai wife she did not have a Thai passport and wanted me to pay 500 baht. Grabbed her passport out of my hand and i grabbed it back and told them NO! Reentered Thailand and they did not put a return stamp in my passport. Stupid me did not notice it until i jumped on the train in Had Yai. I had a bad feeling and looked. Later at another border had a lot of explaining to do and the Thai officer understood and let me exit with no problem. So now when i leave Malaysia i always take the train no problems.

Edited by Mitkof Island

On 8/31/2014 at 5:06 PM, JoeLing said:

Decades ago, when i crossed to Malaysia with a couple of Thai friends, they gave
a couple of baht to the custom officer behind the window. They told me it's custom
and it's to say thank you to the spirits* for [surviving] your stay in Thailand.

Since then, I always give 10 baht, ocasionally even a dollar - after I got my exit stamp.
It's just tip, a micro-tip. Nothing to do with corruption.

Have a tip thumbsup.gif - have a coffee coffee1.gif - have a nice day wai.gif - - - get's you a long way wink.png

No different if I leave 10 baht under the pillow after a good nights sleep in a hotel or at
a friends place. It's for the "ghosts*" to thank for a good nights sleep.

* Ghosts and spirits come in all kind of forms. Uniforms, waiters, nurses, cleaners, etc smile.png

They told you it was for the spirits to save face for their bent brethren. Why perpetuate it, do you also tip customs in your own country?

21 hours ago, AVettath said:

Hi All,

Sadao immigration checkpoint is one of the worst in the World. Indeed, all that happens here is corruption. 

I reached this checkpoint by bus and walked to the Foreigner immigration office for Visa on arrival. I walked to the officer and he proactively diverted me to an agent. I had all the necessary documents with me (10000 Baht, Return tickets and Hotel booking). The Visa application fee is 1000 Baht. Nonetheless, the agent asked for RM330 which is 2600 Baht. I walked to the officer and informed him about this and he did not accept and diverted me again to the agent. This shows the immigration officer and these agents are closely knit. They are even not ready to negotiate or reduce the cost. They live at the advantageous end since we travel for 7 hours from KL to the border and it is difficult for us to change our plans and return. Finally, he agreed to reduce it to RM310 which is 2400 Bhat. 

Also, when you exit Sadao, you are forced to pay RM10 or 100Baht to just get an exit stamp. This is truly ridiculous. 

I cant imagine how much of money these individuals are making by just conning people. 

My sincere advice to all of you is, please do not get conned by these guys. It is always better to fly to Thailand since the immigration officers at airport checkpoint do not take advantage of people to this extent. 

Report the IO including Badge number ???

21 hours ago, AVettath said:

Hi All,

Report the IO including Badge number ???