What can you do with 2 Million Baht?

Time to learn about investing. The members who suggested high yielding Thai stocks are on the right path, IMHO. Start educating yourself about high dividend (high yield) Thai stocks like the ones they mentioned. Also Big C (or Central Department Stores) looks like a great stock to buy right now.

If you want to go beyond that, take a look at ThinkOrSwim in Singapore, or Interactive Brokers (in the US), or OptionsXpress in the US. If you learn something about stock options and option structures, you can invest in the stock market with a higher rate of return and with lower risk than by simply buying stocks. But options require some time and effort invested up front to learn about them. When you're knowledgeable, though, 2M Baht can buy you some pretty large positions using options. $60,000 USD is not a small starter account for options.

Buying land also seems to be a good investment in BKK and CM these days, but the market has been moving up so fast that prices are getting scary. A rental property also seems like a good idea. You can buy a small condo for 2M Baht and rent it out, but you probably won't get more than 3% or 4% on your investment from the rental income. Prices are high and rents are low in CM and BKK. I don't know about other areas. But, theoretically, the property should also increase in value -- at least as much as the inflation rate. On the other hand, Thai people prefer new properties, so the increase in value of older properties can be pretty small and slow. The land is what seems to increase in value, rather than the structures.

And maybe put around 5% to 10% of your investment into physical gold. Buy from one of the larger gold dealers in CM or BKK. It's for the long term, but when it pays off, it will pay off big.

Hope this helps.

Good luck --

On a serious note 2.0 million baht can defiantly be worth investing if you know what your doing. But the amount is low for a 3-5% annual return and would require a more aggressive approach. I invested about 300.000baht and now have increased that to a near 1.750.000baht in about 3.5 months because I know what I'm doing in that area. All legal but as anything can involve risks. My goal is to make this into 10 million before June next year. This is just a side project from my normal business. But as anything know your shit and you can make money!

Warren, haven't seen you in a while, how's it hanging, how's Berkshure doin'? laugh.png

Who is Warren?

Game, set and match - that was quick! coffee1.gif

On a serious note 2.0 million baht can defiantly be worth investing if you know what your doing. But the amount is low for a 3-5% annual return and would require a more aggressive approach. I invested about 300.000baht and now have increased that to a near 1.750.000baht in about 3.5 months because I know what I'm doing in that area. All legal but as anything can involve risks. My goal is to make this into 10 million before June next year. This is just a side project from my normal business. But as anything know your shit and you can make money!

I have to add though I was a lucky in the start and I would not tell you todo what I'm doing that's is why I'm not saying what I'm doing but if anyone is curious I can tell but it's not shares, or any pyramid scams and I can't teach anyone how to do it. And I'm not trying to sell anything just saying it is possible and if you don't know your shit and not prepared to take losses don't risk it.

Warren, haven't seen you in a while, how's it hanging, how's Berkshure doin'? laugh.png

Who is Warren?

Game, set and match - that was quick! coffee1.gif

First if all I'm Swedish! I'm not British. Om du inte tror mig så kan du fråga nån annan om dom vet vad jag skrev här! Man behöver inte vara dryg utan anledning.

Do you need a translation?

ไม่เป็นไร ไม่ปรือ บ่เป็นหยัง

Edited by Evolare

Don Freeman is a financial adviser and has guided my investments for three years with great success.

He lives in Phuket and travels to Chiang Mai frequently and hosts the Chiang Mai money club, a monthly meeting for expats mainly.

Feel free to contact him at [email protected] and check out his website at www.freemancapital.net

He won't try to sell you anything and his advice is free. Good luck.

• Like 1

"what the extent of 2m baht can do in Thailand"??? Well last year I stayed for 6mths in Thailand and spent about 1.3m baht...so on 2mil I guess I would do it for 9mths ! Money well spent.

Seriously though, 2 mil is not much money to be talking about investing.........

Having 2 million baht and what to do...?

Same as I did 9 years ago and hope it will be same-same in the future, then I will have 6.3 million baht - and by that time I may spend some of them for a little fun and leave some to "grow" a bit more...! smile.png

• Like 1

OK Evolare you got my attention !! How did you turn 300k into 1.7m in 3.5 months? ...On a 'serious ' note...why did you only start with 300k??...

I'm guessing I have to pay for this secret? So please PM me your Swiss bank account details so that I may expedite the fee to you...

Don Freeman is a financial adviser and has guided my investments for three years with great success.

He lives in Phuket and travels to Chiang Mai frequently and hosts the Chiang Mai money club, a monthly meeting for expats mainly.

Feel free to contact him at [email protected] and check out his website at www.freemancapital.net

He won't try to sell you anything and his advice is free. Good luck.

Any hint of 'investment talk' and the most ridicolous comments inevitably follow !...This guy travels around giving 'free' advice, and doesn't try to sell anything ! I used to work for a Bank, and theres 2 sorts of financial advisers, those who charge a fee and don't get commission or the other that doesn't charge a fee and gets commission on anything they sell....

Anyhow I just looked at this guys site, have to say all looks very professional, but it clearly says they are fee based advisers...So don't understand why you say its free...sorry the guy is American so should have said 'advisors' !

OK Evolare you got my attention !! How did you turn 300k into 1.7m in 3.5 months? ...On a 'serious ' note...why did you only start with 300k??...

I'm guessing I have to pay for this secret? So please PM me your Swiss bank account details so that I may expedite the fee to you...

Please, don't go there, just move on, really!

Please, don't go there, just move on, really!

You can see that I was being sarcastic...right?

• Like 1

One of the best investments is an education. Take a course on Investment and Financial Analysis. At the end of the course, you'll have spent your 2M, so you won't have anything left to invest.

Fret not, though.

Like some of us here on this thread, you will get immense satisfaction from giving expert investment advice to others on forums such as this one.

T

• Like 1

Nobody on here can give you the best advice on how to invest that money without a lot more information on your situation. (And even then, you shouldnt listen to most financial advice on a board like this) But, at least with more information, you can start to get some advice that is more tailored to your specific situation.

You need to give the background, what is the goal in investing this money, your financial situation, expenses, age, family/dependents, your situation / feelings on risk, diversification, inflation, interest rates, timeframe, taxes, etc.

Is this the only source of income you have and need to live off of, or is this just extra money that you want to generate some extra income, How much risk can you afford to take with this money? Do you want to protect against inflation? Do you want to diversify? Do you have dependents to support? Do you need liquidity or can you afford to tie this money up and for how long? And many other questions that give more insight to make sure the investment advice fits your situation.

• Like 1

Assuming the money is to be used as 'mad money', the first thing I would do is open a bank account and deposit 800,000 baht so I no longer needed to worry about seasoning my retirement money for immigration. I would also put into my will, that the account goes to my GF when I die.

As for the remaining 1.2M, I would buy things I need, such as nice furnishings for my condo (or a condo, if the OP doesn't already own one). With the remainder, I would travel and enjoy traveling around Thailand and SE Asia with my GF.

So, you're going to buy a shack furnished in bamboo and travel on the non-a/c bus, eating som tom and rice. For how long do you think you and your gf can manage that?

• Like 1

Assuming the money is to be used as 'mad money', the first thing I would do is open a bank account and deposit 800,000 baht so I no longer needed to worry about seasoning my retirement money for immigration. I would also put into my will, that the account goes to my GF when I die.

As for the remaining 1.2M, I would buy things I need, such as nice furnishings for my condo (or a condo, if the OP doesn't already own one). With the remainder, I would travel and enjoy traveling around Thailand and SE Asia with my GF.

So, you're going to buy a shack furnished in bamboo and travel on the non-a/c bus, eating som tom and rice. For how long do you think you and your gf can manage that?

I tip my hat to you, there is some CC farang boasting about living in Pattaya on 7k per month.

How long do you think the g/f is going to hang around, no wonder they have such phrases as farang kee nok.

I tip my hat to you, there is some CC farang boasting about living in Pattaya on 7k per month.

How long do you think the g/f is going to hang around, no wonder they have such phrases as farang kee nok.

Well, it is possible for a woman to love a man for reasons other than money--my second wife had to buy me out of debt and always earned more than I. Apparently, too many men have never had anything other than a financial relationship with a woman.

• Like 2

You could find a 45 year old Thai lady with 3 kids and a scar above her belly button that looks like it was made with a chainsaw Then you could move to Nakon Nowhere where you could spend the money building her a house on her parents land next to a rice paddy. Then you could retire, live off Som Tam and Archer beer while contemplating the chickens, ducks and dogs roaming the village freely. At least until the Ex comes around.

This seems to be the retirement plan of many TV contributing millionaires.

I know it is definitely my plan to spend my twilight years!

I actually thought the OP was a reasonable question, but there weren´t too many reasonable responses.

• Like 1

Thai Stock market...property funds e.g.CPNRF, SPF, QHPF give 8% annual dividend.

HMPRO also a good long term investment as they give good stock dividends!

HMPRO give good dividends???

Last time I looked it was less than 1%

I must admit, I raised an eyebrow at that one also.

I mentioned earlier above that I like Dividend Paying Stocks ... a favourite being BECL ... the Bangkok Expressway.

Year on Year they have increased their bi-annual dividend.

The second half dividend is usually paid in September. It goes ex-dividiend next Monday

2011 - Bt 0.60

2012 - Bt 0.62

2013 - Bt 0.70

2014 - Bt 0.80

http://www.set.or.th/set/companyrights.do?symbol=BECL&language=en&country=US

When you add the April Dividend into the equation, BECL is currently showing a return of just over 4% per annum based on the current share price.

Sure, 4% isn't going to shot the lights out, but given a 10 year investment horizon and the potential for further Dividend increases and future Capital appreciation ... a solid enough stock for me.

If it has to be Thailand I'd keep the money in my home currency and wait, they're about to attempt to boost growth through government funded mega projects which will probably work in the short term at the minute national debt is at 34% which is low. But they're about to start large scale investment at the begining of a global interest rate rising cycle. It's where the growth is going to come from after the government funded projects are finished, companies took advantage of the cheap liquidity during the finantial crisis and invested in emerging markets that's not likly to continue.

I'd rather be invested in US stocks with a decent dividend, US companies have taken advantage of the cheap liquidity to partake in share buy backs which has already pushed the S&P to all time highs. The developement of US shale oil resources has already resulted in cheap gas and will give the US manufacturing industry a big advantage in the future, US companies have already started reshoring so continued investment from the US into emerging markets is unlikley.

Newbie here so please forgive my ignorance. My game in the US has been leverage in real estate. With low down loans leverage is powerful with even modest appreciation. What types of loans in terms of loan to value are available in Thailand for owner occupied and rental properties?

Newbie here so please forgive my ignorance. My game in the US has been leverage in real estate. With low down loans leverage is powerful with even modest appreciation. What types of loans in terms of loan to value are available in Thailand for owner occupied and rental properties?

for a foreigner extremely difficult.