'No room for corruption'

Lite Beer

Yes and Yingluck said much the same thing

She wasn't looking a monk directly in the eye when she said it, though.

Does it really matter where she was looking at the time ? A broken promise is a broken promise, and she left a trail of them behind.

If the good General is serious about stamping out corruption, send the entire Shin regime into "self imposed exile" with big brother, that would be a good start. biggrin.png

• Like 1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..let's pass some legislation against Thai women scamming foreigners and then rendering them penniless and homeless....

...more rights to the foreign fathers of children that have sacrificed all....just to be duped by their Thai wives rabid with greed....

...let's give Thailand and Buddhism a better name....and uphold basic human rights of foreigners that came here with good intentions...

I dare say that is just the lower end of the corruption heap.. However is usually self inflicted on the large majority of Falangs who get conned. Most of them are p@$$y struck and wouldn't believe you if you told him not to throw money at a bar girl without checking the family situation out first. Some of these guys even still believe that the buffal just died or the brother's head came back stuck under the bus & that is why we need a second funeral for the same only brother she already told him about.

Put simply, it is all part of the culture of corruption & poverty that the general wants to start unravelling. I think right now he is concentrating on the billions of govt money, not the 100's of thousands of gullible tourists. Apologies if I offend anyone, but I ran more than a few controlled road tests before I made my purchase.

• Like 1

So you all say it's going to take a long time even generations to control corruption, Well what do you expect it will be done in the morning before the Generals tea break?

Yes it's going to take a considerable effort and time to achieve, lets be positive and look to a future of less criminality and more fairness Big ideals as they are lets support them with a more positive outlook and a few less, pigs might fly comments.

It's impossible to eradicate all corruption, especially in the time that the general has given the current regime. But it certainly does need to be tackled and he has already started tackling it by getting rid of the Shin sycophants in positions of power, putting a rocket under the police and making a real effort to clean up the mafia in Phuket.

He cannot be expected to deal with every trivial (relatively speaking) piece of corruption and law enforcement failure. If he can continue the good work and install an ethos of 'corruption doesn't pay' throughout the country, he'll have set the country on the right path.

I wish him the best of luck.

..............but there certainly was a whiff of corruption when eminent military and police officers bought GT 200 'bomb detectors'. Not surprisingly, as far as I know, the only guy who went to prison was the Irishman who sold them to Thailand's noblest, now doing time in a UK jail, . Maybe the senior officers who approved the purchases, are in the cabinet now, so its OK.

818 in total were sold to Thailand: I suppose it was all a misunderstanding.......not a hint of corruption....... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT200 provides more info.

GTG, a pig just flew by.

Edited by eddie61

I love this guy, he both do the walk and talk the talk, but it is also very dangerous what he is doing. I really hope the best for Prayut and Thailand :D Think he could be the man showing the world how to end problems. It will take time cause the forces are very powerful. But if you can get a nation to see the truth it will moderate the problems :D

All this guy does is talk. Words are meaningless, action is what counts. After all the 'crackdowns' the vans are still at Victory Monument, the vendors still blocking the sidewalks, and the slaves still on the fishing boats....what has actually changed.

Corruption is just the latest to be given the action-free, word treatment.

• Like 2

Corruption has not stopped in Phuket. This is a huge undertaking for him and it may be too big for him to tackle. Just sayin'. coffee1.gif

Unbelievable how people on here can only talk negatively. He's working towards stamping out corruption and you think he should have it all perfect within 3 months, after decades of corruption.

• Like 2

they can always find ''room for corruption'',a spare cot out back,the shed in the cellar,god,we can even put corruption up at the holiday in...in thailand corruption is just another 10 letter word..sawadee (xtra crap)

..............but there certainly was a whiff of corruption when eminent military and police officers bought GT 200 'bomb detectors'. Not surprisingly, as far as I know, the only guy who went to prison was the Irishman who sold them to Thailand's noblest, now doing time in a UK jail, . Maybe the senior officers who approved the purchases, are in the cabinet now, so its OK.

818 in total were sold to Thailand: I suppose it was all a misunderstanding.......not a hint of corruption....... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT200 provides more info.

GTG, a pig just flew by.

And what about the inflatable aircraft which won't fly. Who knows just which general bought that ?

Prayuth went on to say that there would also be mechanisms for checks and balances to ensure transparency, integrity and fairness.

Details? How will it work and how will its proper, transparent functioning be ensured? Hopefully such details are forthcoming. If there's no transparency about the transparency, there is no transparency.

It will have to begin with better pay for civil servants. But that will work only if coupled with other measures.

HK was a notoriously corrupt place. Then, in the early Seventies, they set up an Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) with wide-ranging powers to investigate and prosecute anyone. This independent force answered directly to the Governor. Laws were introduced where you could be charged with "having assets/life style beyond your means" I presume that the onus would be on the accused to prove their money was legally acquired.

A mostly blanket amnesty was issued for past transgressions. Bribe givers were made equally culpable. Pay, conditions and retirement benefits were substantially improved.

The result was a very quick and remarkable improvement in governance and change in culture. While all this was achieved under a non-democratic, unelected colonial government, it was crucial that HK also had a very robust free press, a highly literate and politically savy public and a colonial master that was a fully-fledged democracy.

Just now The ICAC is prosecuting a former Chief secretary (number two position in the government) for accepting bribes from a very large, publicly listed property developer. So while there's still corruption, it's nothing at all like it used to be.

There are many places where endemic corruption has been successfully tamed and there's no reason it can't be done here. I'd like to say I'm cautiously hopeful. It's certainly too early to write off this latest attempt, but I've yet to see any concrete (and sustainable) actions or proposals that give reason for hope.

Still, we should wait and see before being too critical. At least there finally seems to be a general acceptance that unless the corruption monster is curbed, Thailand will remain stuck at the current level of development indefinatley.

T

Yes and Yingluck said much the same thing

WHO ?? she only said it--this is different---he means it. do you understand it will take years, but were on the way.

Prayuth does not need a makeover and a photo op with cronies alongside .

Nice headlines we are reading, but nothing has really changed. The money is just going into someone else's pocket.

And how exactly is it have supposed to change. The Junta has not since seizing power interfered with the judiciary, while he has correctly followed the principles of the Martial Law Act. That is why nothing has changed. How do you expect it to change when the very teams who will be reforming all governance process's so that reform and change can occur are still being nominated for selection. Thankfully Thailand's future direction is being led by the very capable Khun General Prayuth and not the pessimistic Western barstool brigade that Thailand seems to attract.

Just to clarify, I and the like are the barstool brigade right?

• Like 1

The first and admittedly most difficult and complicated target is the Thai police. If they can be reinvented from top to bottom with independent oversight agencies in place (Internal Affaires), then the job to curb systematic corruption by other officials and the private sector will be much easier, since the protection from prosecution bought from the police will have dwindled. In tandem with police overhaul should be the long overdue toughening of punishment and fines (no more inactive posts) together with the rectifying of certain laws holding the process back (defamation/libel, etc.).

Yes, but in order to achieve this the govt. is going to have to get real, and allocate perhaps a trillion baht, so that the police can be paid a real wage. I believe there has been a quid pro quo going on for decades between the govt. and the police. We will pay you comical wages and in exchange, we will never require you to be honest, and you will never have to answer for your revenue collection practices. So, it would be required that rank and files wages be doubled, to 16k baht per month. Higher ups would have to be doubled too. It would be the only way there might be a chance of hiring straight guys as cops. Otherwise, all talk is simple jawboning. Reform yes. But that includes reasonable compensation.

If he is already concerned about corruption in selected appointees you can bet this will be an uphill struggle in which he is unlikely to succeed.

Corruption is part of Thai culture, most of those being appointed will be in their current positions because of it and their purchasing power.

Very likely it is already happening with many of the new appointments.

Just the way it is here.

One has only to look at the transformation of Singapore. It had a corrupt civil service, corrupt police force and was rife with corrupt nepotism. The economy was in a shambles, the waterways were polluted and corruption was embedded down the cop on the beat.

It took a dynamic, somewhat despotic leader to make hard decisions which included removing some of the freedoms that encouraged corruption and greed. It's not a perfect place now, but hardly resembles the Singapore of the 50s, 60s and 70s.

I don't propose that Thailand become a squeaky clea, mirror image of Singapore, but perhaps similar measures taken there can bring much needed reforms to Thailand.

Google the history of Singapore, it's fight against corruption, and go from there.

Here's a good read for staters.

http://www.ied.edu.hk/include/getrichfile.php?key=dfab9430ff7dacbf46a93a3795eec5a4&secid=3780&filename=asahkconf/P002E_Quah%20Corruption%20Singapore%20ASAHK%202013%20Paper.pdf

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

One has only to look at the transformation of Singapore. It had a corrupt civil service, corrupt police force and was rife with corrupt nepotism. The economy was in a shambles, the waterways were polluted and corruption was embedded down the cop on the beat.

My Singaporean friend told me that is more a case of unconstrained power kept by few families with perfectly built system of legal nepotism and political dominance. If that works for you...