Just A Fun Little Survey..

John K

Each of us now living in Thailand misses some product from back home. I am genuinely curious what they may be. Some miss certain foods, and I am sure some miss other regular items that you could drive to the store and get.... so confess what do you miss?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm in Thailand - things I miss...

- Chipshop chips (fries) - not those Mc Straw things you get. And the prawn curry my local chinese makes.

- Real chocolate.

- Broadband (I'm running 8mb in the UK, dial up in LoS)

- Motorway service stations (with proper loos)

- SKY Movies/TV

- Sleep in summer (just toooooo hot/humid and can hear the mozzies)

- UK Family (not wife and kids - they come with me)

When I'm in the UK - things I miss...

- Sun

- Open air bars and restaurants

- Som Tam lady

- Lifestyle

- Cheap, er, everything

- Friendly people

- My Thai family (not wife and kids - they come with me)

- Thai fruit

- Eye candy

Well east coast girls are hip

I really dig those styles they wear

And the southern girls with the way they talk

They knock me out when Im down there

The mid-west farmers daughters really make you feel alright

And the northern girls with the way they kiss

They keep their boyfriends warm at night

I wish they all could be california

I wish they all could be california girls

The west coast has the sunshine

And the girls all get so tanned

I dig a french bikini on hawaii island

Dolls by a palm tree in the sand

I been all around this great big world

And I seen all kinds of girls

Yeah, but I couldnt wait to get back in the states

Back to the cutest girls in the world

I wish they all could be california girls

Bisto Instant gravy granules

They have Bisto in "Friendship" supermarket here in Pattaya,pretty sure I've seen Branston Pickle there too.... but maybe it was Carefour ?? that had that.

Things I miss are "proper" bread mostly here its too sweet ,butter that doesn't taste like margerine :D canned salmon ( expensive here ) salt and vinegar crisps didn't catch on so can't be found here.

I miss the cool cool rain ( yes I know that's really quite sad )

The discovery channel and late night European offerings from satellite TV :o

But other than that I don't miss much from back home.

Citric Acid ... the ultimately best substance to use, when removing limescale from a coffee machine ... Not avaiable (in Chiang Mai at least) --- you'll have to settle with the second best: white vinegar.

A well stocked tennis pro shop (NOT Super Sports or Sportsworld): which for me means they have to keep the old Prince Graphite oversize and Wilson Pro Staff Low shoes in stock, even though they are very old models. I don't mind mail ordering the shoes, but for the rackets I have to hand carry 3-4 a year (crack 2 frames.... not out of anger, out of regular wear and tear... a year on average).

:o

Miss being able to buy quality clothes that fit, lobsters not burnt on a grill, drawn butter, Mexican food, grade A beef, pizza, wide selection of beers and wines, real Levi jeans, flying my plane, rock concerts, good music stores, sex shops, keg parties, trout fishing, proper pies, river rafting, no tall fence around the house, driving and enjoying it, dollar stores, hobby shops, good barbers, a few buddies and family. Other stuff like proper vacations from work, OT not Oh Free, quality tube and air shows.

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand and have been here for 25+ years so when I return home for my yearly visit I get most of the above so not to worry about those things much.

When I travel, I miss Thailand far more than anything from my place of birth. :o

Bisto Instant gravy granules

They have Bisto in "Friendship" supermarket here in Pattaya,pretty sure I've seen Branston Pickle there too.... but maybe it was Carefour ?? that had that.

Things I miss are "proper" bread mostly here its too sweet ,butter that doesn't taste like margerine :D canned salmon ( expensive here ) salt and vinegar crisps didn't catch on so can't be found here.

I miss the cool cool rain ( yes I know that's really quite sad )

The discovery channel and late night European offerings from satellite TV :o

But other than that I don't miss much from back home.

Johng,

For proper bread try La Boulange Soi Convent, opposite what used to be Delaneys, the real deal!!!!

Top of Emporium and Foodland sell Lurpack and Anchor butter.

You can still buy salt and vinegar crisps (Lays)

For me the only thing I miss is mothers old fashioned English cooking and baking!!

icecubes Today, 2006-07-11 20:34:53 Post #17

Quality selection of latex, plastic, rubber sex toys

smartecosse Today, 2006-07-11 21:19:48 Post #18

slice sausage

tattie scones

haggis

Maybe its bcoz i'm a yank but aren't those things related? :D

On my last trip, the only thing i missed was american breakfast of pancakes with eggs, bacon and maple syrup....didn't want it everyday, just once in a while...

Then i found that Bourbon St cafe joint behind the Mambo Cabaret at Suk 22....problem was solved in short order....not that it helps much when i am in Phuket :o

icecubes Today, 2006-07-11 20:34:53 Post #17

Quality selection of latex, plastic, rubber sex toys

smartecosse Today, 2006-07-11 21:19:48 Post #18

slice sausage

tattie scones

haggis

Maybe its bcoz i'm a yank but aren't those things related? :D

On my last trip, the only thing i missed was american breakfast of pancakes with eggs, bacon and maple syrup....didn't want it everyday, just once in a while...

Then i found that Bourbon St cafe joint behind the Mambo Cabaret at Suk 22....problem was solved in short order....not that it helps much when i am in Phuket :o

its coz ur a yank

:D

Are you kidding?

You can get pancakes, eggs, bacon, and maple syrup all over the place in Thailand.

In Chiang Mai you can get Eggs Benedict, bagels with cream cheese, fresh cinnamon rolls, sour dough bisquits, corn bread, hash browns.

There isn't too much that you can't get these days. :D

Real UK Indian curries - better than most in India.

I wish I could find some here!

Why do all the Indian restaurants in Thailand bite, but there are some great ones in Laos and Vietnam? :o

never thought to try the curries there but the baguettes were delicious

I miss waking up in the morning and not knowing what the weather is going to be like until you've opened the curtains. There's nothing like waking up on a Sunday morning and its chucking it down. dark and miserable and thinking 'ah what the hel_l, I'll go back to bed'. Or in the depths of winter being blessed with one of those cold crisp blue sky days to go with a walk in the country.

I miss waking up in the morning and not knowing what the weather is going to be like until you've opened the curtains. There's nothing like waking up on a Sunday morning and its chucking it down. dark and miserable and thinking 'ah what the hel_l, I'll go back to bed'. Or in the depths of winter being blessed with one of those cold crisp blue sky days to go with a walk in the country.

And stopping later at a village pub for a pint and ploughmans lunch. YES !! :o

And stopping later at a village pub for a pint and ploughmans lunch. YES !! :o

Yeah baby you dig it! Sitting infront of a logfire in the pub having a pint and a ploughmans. There is nothing quite like it. I used to live near the Cotswolds in the UK and would go out walking most winter weekends for that very reason. Sometimes the walks would be further than from the pub carpark to the pub door too!