PM says Thailand must get out of “middle-income” trap in less than 12 years

Lite Beer

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy seems to really have a good head on his shoulders which is more than can be said for 95% of this countries politicians. I know it will take time to build a body of work on which to judge him properly but for once I see some hope for Thailand's socio/political/economic future. Let's hope he is the real deal. Keeping my fingers crossed!

While I too am keeping my fingers crossed, I cannot but wonder what is going to happen in 18 months or so, when real elections are held. I fear it will be back to business as usual at that point. Does anyone really think that Thaksin is finished yet? The PTP (or whatever they get reincarnated as) will field the same tired old faces. Probably the Democrats too.

This bloke speaks more home truths than any politician in Thailand for the last 30 years.

Let's hope he can win an election.

Home being where, with how many land inclusions, and what levels of personal assets? Transparency would be necessary at this point in time, in my humbled opinion (IMHO).

Thus, if such personal assets be declared now, even if such any politician is VERY RICH, through army positions and so forth, there could be no future questioning if such remain on par.

That is transparency (IMHO)......

Edited by DrLom

Most posters fail to understand something. Until now there was some kind of agreement amongst the Thai "elite" that things shouldn't change, Thai people had a way to do things that was specific to them, "Thainess", a way that should be preserved. Now comes the realization that it is not possible. Thailand should move forward or will fall behind. This is a HUGE progress.

How will Thailand achieve this new goals ? When there is a will there is way. The will is now here, the way will soon follow.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

This guy seems to really have a good head on his shoulders which is more than can be said for 95% of this countries politicians. I know it will take time to build a body of work on which to judge him properly but for once I see some hope for Thailand's socio/political/economic future. Let's hope he is the real deal. Keeping my fingers crossed!

While I too am keeping my fingers crossed, I cannot but wonder what is going to happen in 18 months or so, when real elections are held. I fear it will be back to business as usual at that point. Does anyone really think that Thaksin is finished yet? The PTP (or whatever they get reincarnated as) will field the same tired old faces. Probably the Democrats too.

This bloke speaks more home truths than any politician in Thailand for the last 30 years.

Let's hope he can win an election.

Well, if Abhisit and the Democrats pull out of whatever future election, then surely, the junta will win ? Even the foreign media and the Thaksinites will accept that the junta, at the very least, has a good chance of winning if the Democrats pull out ?

And is Abhisit and the Democrats going to pull out ? Well, let's just say, they pulled out previously, cynics will say that they pulled out because they knew they weren't going to win. Can (will) they pull out in a future election, just to make sure that Thaksin doesn't win ??

:)

Start with the easiest and biggest problems first - nepotism and cronyism.

Then introduce a huge inheritance tax to reclaim some of the fortunes aforesaid problems caused - the offspring of the corrupt have already proven themselves to be absolutely worthless to the human race.

Moving on, spend more on education than on iphones for MPs for a start. Introduce strict examination of students, like Cambodia has just done (and achieved a 70% fail rate)!

And finally, without wanting to sound like a typical bigoted foreigner; embrace the English language. The Thai language is truly unique, but that hurts the country internationally.

• Like 2

Understand and admire New PM's aspiration, but I am afraid 12 years would not do it. Perhaps 50-100 is more realistic.

First evaluate education system, so that the people can use their brain.

Then raise a new generation of teachers, then and only then this goal might be achieved

Ha ha ha... A play out of Taksin's book. "No poverty in Thailand within X years."

If Thailand's average income is going anywhere it is going to be closer to Bangladesh than to Singapore.

We live on a planet with finite resources, plain and simple.

• Like 2

First he IS NOT a leader! Leaders do not take over countries, impose martial law, and throw out constitutions all in favor of doing whatever HE chooses. Individualism is imperative! Too much country first and this xenophobia the Thais have of other successful countries is the number one reason Thailand cant get its government into the 21st century.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Would you rather have a benevolent dictator or an elected scumbag?

Well, if the 'elected' turned out to be a scumbag, at least I would have the freedom to call him/she one. Currently the populace are being forced to eat that which they are fed, with zero transparency. Dangerous path.

Before claiming the freedom to criticize talk to the many people who were sued into bankruptcy then chat with media companies who were informed that advertising from boss owned companies was going to be pulled. And I thought the Amsterdam paid bloggers went away after the coup. Well, I guess not.

In a way, it takes an admission that there is still a long way to go, and that being wealthier than Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia is not the ultimate achievement.

So how to achieve the next step? No labour left. No apparent major innovations from within Thailand pending anytime soon.

So FDI and foreign business needs to flood in to make it work. Anyone for liberalising the investment laws? Thought not.

• Like 2

12 years.... and maybe 6 months?whistling.gif

I guess the general or someone int thailand finally read the report from Bank Santander(if i remember well) that stated it will take 25 years to thailand to "fully develop" .........................................................................and reach the same level than Greece or Portugal.

But in the other hand because of his ageing population and very low birth rate, they will never achieve this goal!

So the general just divide 25 by 2 = 12 years( and 6 months).

with this kind of logic, i tell you something : they are completely hit-the-fan.gif

Edited by Bender
  • Like 2

Hold on, hold, wait a minute.

Is Thailand trying to shift all it's low income people into being middle income people ?
Surely, in any society, you're always going to need to have people who are going to sweep the streets, collect rubbish (garbage or 'refuse' collectors), and do a whole mass of un-skilled and semi-skilled labour. You'ill always need women working in bars and other night time places.
You can't really shift everybody into middle-income, and have hardly anybody in low income.
See, all this bringing in labour from Cambodia, Laos and Burma. And also Vietnam, let the Vietnamese in as well. Thailand has been doing this for decades. What is it all about ? Is Thailand trying to bring in all that cheap foreign labour, because it wants all those foreign 'peasants' to be the new low-income people ? That way, all the Thais can become middle-income people and high-income people ?
Actually, in America, are the Americans importing loads of Mexicans, that way, all the Americans can become middle-class ?
And in Europe, all this bringing in cheap labour from Romania, Poland and Bulgaria. And indeed, bring in cheap labour from outside of Europe. Is all this being done, so the new foreigners become the new low-income people ?

I really do wonder as to what is actually going on. I think the junta, when they was talking about low and middle-income, they meant Thailand as a nation, not actual individual people. But still, bringing in Cambodians and Laos people. Is it because those foreigners are suppose to be the new low-income people ??

Is Thailand trying to shift all it's low income people into being middle income people ?

Surely, in any society, you're always going to need to have people who are going to sweep the streets, collect rubbish (garbage or 'refuse' collectors), and do a whole mass of un-skilled and semi-skilled labour. You'ill always need women working in bars and other night time places.

You can't really shift everybody into middle-income, and have hardly anybody in low income.

See, all this bringing in labour from Cambodia, Laos and Burma. And also Vietnam, let the Vietnamese in as well. Thailand has been doing this for decades. What is it all about ? Is Thailand trying to bring in all that cheap foreign labour, because it wants all those foreign 'peasants' to be the new low-income people ? That way, all the Thais can become middle-income people and high-income people ?

Actually, in America, are the Americans importing loads of Mexicans, that way, all the Americans can become middle-class ?

And in Europe, all this bringing in cheap labour from Romania, Poland and Bulgaria. And indeed, bring in cheap labour from outside of Europe. Is all this being done, so the new foreigners become the new low-income people ?

I really do wonder as to what is actually going on. I think the junta, when they was talking about low and middle-income, they meant Thailand as a nation, not actual individual people. But still, bringing in Cambodians and Laos people. Is it because those foreigners are suppose to be the new low-income people ??

smile.png

It is true what the general says. Thailand will lose its competitive edge before Thailand reaches real wealth enough to call itself developed.

This is basically their own fault because while Singapore and Korea was trying to swat corruption and educate their people , Thailand was doing completely the opposite.

They might have shot their own goose.

Thai at Heart, Thai at Heart.

For God's sake, we all know that Thailand will never catch up (or be the same) with Singapore and South Korea in the technology and skills bit of the economy. Yes, the people in Singapore and South Korea have the so-called 'work ethic', unlike people in Thailand (and the Phillippines). People in Singapore (the Singaporeans are actually a load of Chinese who are living on an island called Singapore) really do live their lives to work and make some money, whilst your average stereo-typical Thai wants to live life and have fun and a good time (sanuk).

Okay, will Thailand have to compete with Cambodia, Burma and Laos in the 'low-wages' league, got to be sweat shop and compete as sweat shop labour against Cambodia, Burma and Laos ??

I really don't think so. No European or American company, in their right mind, is going to open a factory in Thailand's neighbouring countries, if they can open it in Thailand itself ! Thailand doesn't have to compete with Cambodia as a sweat shop. All we're seeing is the recruitment of cheap Cambodian/Laos labour into Thailand. We can all see that with our eyes !

And a factory in Thailand (with Thai ownership, and profits going to Thailand, going to a Thai boss) using Cambodian/Laos labour, is not the same as a factory on Loas/Cambodian soil ! A factory in Laos/Cambodia means profit going to a Laos/Cambodian man, we're simply not going to see lots of these factories.

So, there's no need for Thailand to worry about how it will lose against Cambodia/Laos due to lower labour costs in those countries !

smile.png

It is true what the general says. Thailand will lose its competitive edge before Thailand reaches real wealth enough to call itself developed.

This is basically their own fault because while Singapore and Korea was trying to swat corruption and educate their people , Thailand was doing completely the opposite.

They might have shot their own goose.

Thai at Heart, Thai at Heart.

For God's sake, we all know that Thailand will never catch up (or be the same) with Singapore and South Korea in the technology and skills bit of the economy. Yes, the people in Singapore and South Korea have the so-called 'work ethic', unlike people in Thailand (and the Phillippines). People in Singapore (the Singaporeans are actually a load of Chinese who are living on an island called Singapore) really do live their lives to work and make some money, whilst your average stereo-typical Thai wants to live life and have fun and a good time (sanuk).

Okay, will Thailand have to compete with Cambodia, Burma and Laos in the 'low-wages' league, got to be sweat shop and compete as sweat shop labour against Cambodia, Burma and Laos ??

I really don't think so. No European or American company, in their right mind, is going to open a factory in Thailand's neighbouring countries, if they can open it in Thailand itself ! Thailand doesn't have to compete with Cambodia as a sweat shop. All we're seeing is the recruitment of cheap Cambodian/Laos labour into Thailand. We can all see that with our eyes !

And a factory in Thailand (with Thai ownership, and profits going to Thailand, going to a Thai boss) using Cambodian/Laos labour, is not the same as a factory on Loas/Cambodian soil ! A factory in Laos/Cambodia means profit going to a Laos/Cambodian man, we're simply not going to see lots of these factories.

So, there's no need for Thailand to worry about how it will lose against Cambodia/Laos due to lower labour costs in those countries !

Its not work ethic. Thais can work as hard and as well as any. Somewhere Thailand took its eye off the ball and got happy just to be better off than its neighbours.

So yes, woopee, Thailand is better off than laos.

• Like 1

i think the current leader of the country is astute enough with the advent of ASEAN to realise the country is not prepared and is trying to do as much as possible to remedy the situation,maybe to little to late.

I am hearing that the people up North hit their TV's when Suthep comes on the program.

They are also worried about loosing their aged pension type payments.

The way to advance the middle class is to try and get them into the elite class; that leaves the rest to stay as third world class?

Cuts in petrol tax of about 13 billion baht, 30 Billion baht loan to rubber farmers, energy consumption being debated, farmers cost of living rising? Taxi's being scrutinised along with jet ski operators, beach roads being cleaned up? The economy just missing recession? Some court cases being cleared up? Press reports are favourable to the junta, while no questions asked?

What the PM/General has to careful of is not to let the wheels fall off the economy. A lot of what has been happening is just general housekeeping. A some stage there is the need to get on with spending to stimulate the economy, meet with other countries, encourage new business and look at the income of the country. There are a lot of meetings and discussion happening, but not sure how the decisions on the economy are progressing. This is also happening under a one party plan.

As Flo from Queensland once said; "he is only feeding the chooks"?

• Like 1

I finally found out what explains the support of the sexpat (calling a spade a spade) for Thailand old guard : they both rely on cheap labour, desperate people, to support their life style. The message of Gen. Prayuth is clear, this era is over.Thailand to survive as a country needs to get out of this trap.

Prayuth address is not about middle class people but about "middle income country", a country that relies on cheap labour to survive. Thailand need better productivity and a more educated workforce. Now is 12 years a realistic time frame ? When you see how China has changed in the past 12 years the answer may be yes. Just look at Shenzhen a city that didn't exist twenty years ago and is now one of the most vibrant city of China, look at his inhabitants who twenty years ago were peasant and now are sophisticated city dwellers. After a couple of false start lest hope Thailand is now on the right track to become a modern nation.

In most countries, middle income financially supports countries!

The elite, large corporations pay no tax.

The poor pay little to no tax.

When did middle income become a trap?

Without it you go back into the dark ages!

In the US, the middle class is all but gone and just look at the quality of life now.

Most of the food banks are empty, food stamp recipients are at an all time high and most income is derived from Social Security, unemployment, welfare and government salaries!

Small business including farming is history.

Edited by Kabula