How long should a OEM Barrery last?

Backwoods

My Vigo, 2 at 2 years each, now at 3 years with a Boliden, I think it is now struggling a bit, BUT, 8 hour charge yesterday seems to have given it new life, long charge again today, see what happens..thumbsup.gif

Charger IMO are important and the one what I know as, is the trickle charger type, some chargers can do more harm than good.

• Like 2

My Vigo, 2 at 2 years each, now at 3 years with a Boliden, I think it is now struggling a bit, BUT, 8 hour charge yesterday seems to have given it new life, long charge again today, see what happens..thumbsup.gif

Charger IMO are important and the one what I know as, is the trickle charger type, some chargers can do more harm than good.

Yep, my fun ride had 2 lead acid batteries in over 20 years w00t.gif , the car when garaged was always connect to a milli-amp charger, even for many months...thumbsup.gif

Good timing. Just an hour ago put a charger on my 2.5 year old battery in my Toyota 4x4. . It seemed a little weaker than normal today, Debating if I should replace it. It came with a 2 year warranty (GS). I seem to replace my battery every 2-3 years in the 12 years I have been here. I feel It is better to replace it and stay on the safe side, before it dies completely.

Also, it was recommended here many times, and other 'searches' seem to agree, that a maintenance free battery does not last as long here as a battery you can check and top up if necessary. The heat still seams to 'burn up' (non technical term) the maintenance free with no way to replenish the fluid. Proper maintenance of a normal battery will get you the longest life. The post about maintaining clean terminals is also true.

If you buy a vehicle with a maintenance free battery treat it like a standard battery. Rule of thumb a little battery will need 1/2 a litre of distilled water every 6 months a bigger battery maybe a litre.

Pry of the cover of a maintenance free battery (not a gel battery) after a year and you will find most of the cells have fluid below the plates.....unless it's a gel battery.

I check my pick-up battery every 6 months and usually add 750ml, one small bottle of distilled water. Cost 8 baht. The pick-up battery is 4 years old.

I checked the PCX battery at 18 months and topped it up.

It's certainly the heat that causes the problems!

• Like 1