Skype in Thailand advice?

Duggsie

Hullo, hope someone can help.

I and my Thai wife live in UK and have access to PC equipment. Her family in Thailand have just got a laptop and we want to communicate with webcams via the Internet.

Explaining stuff to the family, even through my wife who has no technical knowhow is diffcult.

I'm thinking perhaps Skype would be the best option but am open to any suggestions.

The family already communicate using what sounds like a Skype clone but which they say is called "Line" or similar. I have searched for it but cannot find anything at all.

Does anyone have the Skype Thai language web address that I could copy and send to them via Facebook or if they search for Skype from their Thai location will they automatically be directed to the Thai language version?

As said, any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers, Duggsie. :-)

Edited by Duggsie

Line is a messenger application which can be found here. Note that there is a desktop client.

I can not find any Skype in Thai language webpage.

Thanks for that link.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the Desktop Client. Despite "LINE" claiming to run on a Windows PC (which I don't doubt it does) as well as it's apparent primary function of serving mobile phones, after downloading and installing it I am asked to Register but when I click on "Register" I am given options for various mobile installations (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Firefox phone etc) as well as an option for Windows PC. When I click on that and follow the installation through (providing my Hotmail address and Password) it says there is no Windows Phone registered to that account.

Have tried loads of different methods but am still scratching my head as to how to actually get the thing running.

Very frustrated but not down to you, pronbably down to me and my ignorance/misunderstanding.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Duggsie :-(

Line requires you to install and register a Android device first. Then you can install the Windows client and use it. I had same issue first time. My wife tells me she can talk to her friends on line in the EU but quality is not so good many times. I think Skype is a better app for voice/video.

• Like 1

Line requires you to install and register a Android device first. Then you can install the Windows client and use it. I had same issue first time. My wife tells me she can talk to her friends on line in the EU but quality is not so good many times. I think Skype is a better app for voice/video.

Up until 2 or so months ago the wife and I were using skype but it got to the stage it was unusable due to bad connections.

We've now switched to Line via WIFI on smart phones and found it a lot better. On her trips to China and Korea Line was very clear when we chatted.

• Like 1

i agree with CMSteve. Most youngsters will know how to do it.

Also, you don't say if they speak English, but there are lots of video tutorials out there. Search for "How to set up Skype", or "how to install Skype" on Youtube.

as for changing language, this might help: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA73/how-do-i-change-the-language-used-by-skype-for-windows-desktop

Also, you might want to have a look at Viber. They have both phone and desktop versions: http://www.viber.com

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

Skype is in Thai already, if installed in English go to Tools/Change Language and select it.

attachicon.gifskype thai.JPG

Thanks for uploading that screen-shot. thumbsup.gif

Please could you also give me the Thai Skype link, so I can pass it onto the family as none of them have much knowledge of English at all?

smile.png

Skype is in Thai already, if installed in English go to Tools/Change Language and select it.

attachicon.gifskype thai.JPG

Thanks for uploading that screen-shot. thumbsup.gif

Please could you also give me the Thai Skype link, so I can pass it onto the family as none of them have much knowledge of English at all?

smile.png

To download Skype link in Thai here --- http://skype.th.softonic.com/

• Like 2

You might also look at TeamViewer (TV). https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

It is Remote desktop software, which would allow you to control, and install skype on, their computer... however TV also comes with video conferencing built in, possibly precluding the need to install Skype.

I do not speak for the quality of the TV video conferencing, so you may still want something better I don't know.

I have used it to control my parents Desktop in the US from here in Thailand, and it is remarkably smooth. Much smoother than the native windows RDC software. Installing TV will also give you the ability to provide tech support or install drivers to make things work right, if you are so inclined.

• Like 2

I use both Line and Skype. Sometimes Skype is better. Sometimes line. Both do video and audio.

Another option is to use a SIP account. I used sipdroid a lot in combination with a void busters account. You can call from your mobile using voip to any normal phone as well. Costs are either very low or even free (even to a normal phone!)

If the family have a smart phone just go with Line. Easier to set up.

Hopes this helps.

• Like 1

As already stated, under options in Skype you can select Thai as a language. Also mentioned you can install "teamviewer" non commercial version(its free) and install the the slave half on the family computer. A bit difficult if they don not understand English. But send them this link to install a really good translation program.

http://imtranslator.net/Translator-For-Firefox-ImTranslator_v_8_2.asp?v=v82

They should be able to figure it out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Line skype same same, have them on my iphone windows pc and imac, yes need it on your phone first, does one work better than an other? well yes i prefer line as its 24/7 vid calls send pics and save plus a few other things, but drop outs in vid calls from both due to very average Thai Internet.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great and helpful replies/suggestions.

Am still struggling so am going to get a friend around who is fluent in both Thai and English and who already video-chats with her own folks, in Thailand.

She can speak to my lady's family on our regular phone and talk them through it, I'm guessing.

Thanks again for all your help.

Duggsie. smile.png

LINE is by far the most popular messenger in Thailand. I don't know nay Thai who has NOT installed it on the mobile and they use it all the time, so any message will ne noticed immediately. It is easier to send photos and videos too.

I use it on the PC however. After Skype is owned by microsoft now it tries to update too many times. Video Calls are still better with skype.