What's with the new body scanners?

Tat2TS

Usually I fly out of swampy on business class back to UK, when going though the fast track security checks it had (3months ago) the 2 standard metal detectors that you walk through whilst they X-Ray your bag.

But about a month ago I had to fly to Laos so I booked a standard seat because it's only a 1hr flight.

Went up the stairs, waited my turn and had to step into this new scanner/detector. Was 1st told to remove shoes and as usual all metals objects, then proceed into this new cubicle/booth scanner, turn to the right and raise my arms for 3-5 seconds, then exit, put my shoes back on a collect my bag.

1st time I've seen that type of machine. I had a friend in the other line but he went through a standard machine.

Just curious if anybody knows what this new machine/booth scanner is all about? Is it a full body scan/x-Ray? Do they also have these in the fast track lane now when flying on business?

Used the fast track lane when flying out a couple of weeks back. The standard scanners were still in operation at that time. Maybe they just have the one machine and were using it in the upstairs location before the rest come on stream - if there are any more in the pipeline.

Experienced the body scanners a couple of times at Heathrow. Once, some time back, when it was being tested and was pulled out of the usual, long, security line as a way to jump the queue. Another occasion was when the magic wand kept on pinging and I was led off to a body scan machine stuck away in a corner.

If they don't create any logjams I have no issues with these security checks. but become rather agitated when stuck in a long queue. Get rather annoyed with the PC brigade who raise their voices against profiling - customs use profiling and rightly so, why not security which is of far greater importance in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...