Chicken Feed

Jotham79

I have found a new store out in the country that has started carrying Betagro "Native Chicken Feed". The 211 level is 20% protein and is 465 baht. The 215 level is 410 baht and is 14% protein. This is about 80 baht per bag less than I pay for other brands. Are these normal prices? I am concerned that Betagro is just trying to get market penetration to later raise the price or is this something I can expect to be relatively stable?

We use rice husk at 25 baht a sack, mixed with a bit of pig finisher for the ducks n geese.

The chickens just eat the rice husk.

Costs about 50 baht per 5 days feed smile.png

I used the pig starter mash years ago, but have switch to soybean meal. I can get medium rice polishings for 6 baht a kg, but I do not have confidence in the protein level. Thanks all for the posts, I am hoping that because this is "Native" chicken feed it is cheaper and will stay that way.

the ram isnt much good for laying chickens and laying ducks,

you have to feed the proper pellet,

ive bought a few hens from people that way they wont lay, but as soon as they are here on layers pellets they start laying within a day or 3,

just my thoughts

• Like 1

you can get corn,maize call it want you want at 7.5 bht a kilo, i get it by the ton, and they bag it for us,

better them ram, you cant beet a corn fed chicken for taist,, and the pigs like a bit too, in fact everything on our farm eat it

you can get corn,maize call it want you want at 7.5 bht a kilo, i get it by the ton, and they bag it for us,

better them ram, you cant beet a corn fed chicken for taist,, and the pigs like a bit too, in fact everything on our farm eat it

I use broken corn sweepings called Kee Kaput at 5 baht a kilo and I assume it runs about 5% protein, but it could be a bit higher. Whole kernel corn (10% protein) here runs 10 baht per kg on small amounts (less than 100kg) and I would have to crack it for the chickens, which is what I may do. I will probably hold back 100 kg when we harvest our corn next month as I am a big fan of corn as a feed. I can make feed for my layers that works, but I only save 1-2 baht a kg and I only use a couple of kg a day. I am using several different formulae of feed now as I an rearing quail and layer chickens from chick to adult. I hope to add ducks later. Fine rice polishings here just went to 13 baht a kg so I am using less of that.

• Like 1

Near me is a Betagro feed mill, a new bit only opened last year ,for the lat 6 years Betagro have been expanding in this area big time,mainly,so I have been told,poultry and pigs feed, there web site says this new feed mill can produce 36,000 ton of animal feed a month.

The times I drive past ,they is nearly allway a big queue of truck waiting to tip they loads,probable from a ship at the port in BKK, and truk loads of feed leaving the mill ,mainly in big blower trucks. for pig and poultry farms.

How many more mill's they have in Thailand I do not know. CP also have a feed mill near here , a lot of the raw ingredients are imported, probally like Betagro,so feed price rise will have a lot to do with exchange rate

I think the OP could be right , find they way in then put the price up.

We use their broiler range. It went up 10% last week. Now at 500 Baht for the 21% starter.

Regards.

Can you give me the particulars so I can order it if need be?

I'm just buying from my local shop Jotham. 3 or4 bags at a time. I could go into CM and maybe get a better price. It's just a hobby for me right now.

I had an experience with betagro a few years ago. We used to feed out pigs to slaughter weight. 150/180 at any one time. Betagrow wouldn't deliver. I was asking for 500 bags (15 tons) and they said no. I had to order through their local reps. (shops)

They had a production plant local to us, (Pak Chong) and they still wouldn't deliver. Fine. We ordered from the reps. A few months later all the pigs faeces started coming out black. (as in BLACK) The pigs themselves were fine, but it made me realize that the feed constitients wern't controlled to any degree and they mixed what they had at the time. I started making my own feed after that episode.

Regards.

Edited by teletiger
  • Like 2

I'm doing this for profit, but on a small scale. I doubt I would ever use more than a few bags a month of any particular kind of feed. I mix some of my own feed and supplement some of my feeds, so I am always looking to save a few baht. I have no loyalty to any particular feed company.

• 2 weeks later...

Our area can obtain soybean and corn at farm gate price so i want to use it as the base to make the feed for the chicken. anyone has any detail % of components to add to get a good feed?

Do you want to make chick starter, grower or layer? PM me and I can send you an excel spreadsheet. BTW, are you talking about raw soybeans or soybean meal? What are your farm-gate prices?

Make chick starter and grower

Soybean should around 15 baht and corn 8baht

But it will vary with market price

About 50km from our area grow a lot of corn

You have to make assumptions about protein content and then use a weighted average. I will give you an example:

Assume corn with a 10% protein content and soy bean meal at 44%. If you put 4 kg of corn (4 x 10%) and 1 kg of SBM (1 x 44%) you add the products and divide by the total number of kg.....40 + 44 = 84.......84/4 = 21% protein. Multiply the price of each commodity by the weight and add and then divide by the total weight to get the price per kg. For me it would b 10 baht per kg for corn or 4 x 10 bath and 22 baht for SBM so I would have 40 + 22 = 62.....62/4 = 15.5 baht per kg. Like I said I have a spreadsheet I use and I don't just use corn and SBM because I want to control the fat content and vitamins. 15 baht per kg is very very low for SBM. If you buy raw soy beans you must cook them before feeding them to your chickens. I buy 70 kg of SBM from a dairy co-op for 1,540 baht per bag. The corn you buy will need to be milled.