CDC instructs public to beware of spread of pink eye

webfact

CDC instructs public to beware of spread of pink eye

BANGKOK, 1 September 2014 (NNT) - The Department of Communicable Disease Control has urged members of the public to avoid coming into contact with people who have pink eye in a bid to prevent the spread of the disease.

The department made known that during the first 8 months of the year, a total of 115,255 cases of pink eye or conjunctivitis was reported. Most of the sufferers live in southern provinces including Ranong and Pattani. The number of cases also spiked most during the rainy season

Conjunctivitis causes the white of the eye to take on a pink or red color. Signs and symptoms of pink eye can vary but typically include redness or swelling of the white of the eye, discharge of pus and itching. Viral and bacterial conjunctivitis can be easily spread from person to person and can cause epidemics.

With proper care, the illness can usually be treated in one week. In a bid to prevent the spread of pink eye, infected people and those around them are instructed to avoid touching or rubbing their eyes, wash hands often with soap and warm water and avoid sharing make-up, contact lenses or eyeglasses.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-01 footer_n.gif

I have not seen any one around my area with pink eye.

I think the main issues around and especially at the barbers shop is the head lice infestation and Herpes Simplex

No wonder Thai people just Wai each other and don't shake hands like westerners.

egards

Pink eye is not a nice virus to catch, I recommend 2drops of collodial silver into the eye for 2 days only, no longer, or swab the eye with gauze square soaked in apple cider vinegar, this is very soothing, and the redness will soon disappear.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

Ahhh - Good to get this info.

Now I know what I had.....

7 days ago - Then one night I kept rubbing my eyes and I thought that I had something under my eyelid that was causing a slight itching.

I woke up next morning with the same irritation but a little more severe at 5am.

Since I still thought that I had something in my eye I tried to wash it out with clean water, but since I could not remove it and when I looked in the mirror - one eye was blood red.

The next two days were uncomfortable, but not intolerable.

However I was pleased on the fourth day that the itching pain was subsiding and the red was now light pink.

I could feel something still for a further two days, but nothing more than a slightly uncomfortable sensation in my eye.

All in all - Not really a big deal - It was more about wondering what was causing this eye blemish and the uncertainty of not knowing was going on that caused the biggest pain.

So if anyone who is reading this and finds themselves in the same situation - Really you are not going to lose your sight or suffer unimaginable pain. Its only slightly uncomfortable and you will not appear at your visual best - that's all.

The media has done their job - creating anxiety through the art of story telling.

But know that if (by slight chance) it happens to you - it really is not a big deal and in truth you will have probably suffered more pain from a hangover the next day after a good night out.

Pink eye is not a nice virus to catch, I recommend 2drops of collodial silver into the eye for 2 days only, no longer, or swab the eye with gauze square soaked in apple cider vinegar, this is very soothing, and the redness will soon disappear.

Hope this helps someone.

Acid in the eyes. What could possibly go wrong? And colloidal silver again? Why no just go to a doctor and get properly treated?

I think the main issues around and especially at the barbers shop is the head lice infestation and Herpes Simplex

No wonder Thai people just Wai each other and don't shake hands like westerners.

egards

I don't get it: herpes from the hairdresser? Can you please elaborate?

We have it with one of the adults in the family and now my wife's 10yr grandson. I had it when I was younge it gives you tiny blisters under the eye lids and it feels like sand paperin your eye.

I remember what they did, they put crystals of Permanginate of Potash under your eye lids it stings but it bursts the little blisters and mine was gone in a day or two. All the English proffesers don't bother telling my I spelled it wrong but you will know what I mean.

egards

I don't get it: herpes from the hairdresser? Can you please elaborate?

http://www.ehow.com/about_6905488_herpes-ii-barbering-cosmetology.html

they put crystals of Permanginate of Potash under your eye lids it stings but it bursts the little blisters and mine was gone in a day or two.

You didn't say exactly what was gone after a day or two, but I assume it was your eye since potassium permanganate is quite a strong oxidizer. Generally when some part of the body is irritated or inflamed, we don't want to use harsh, abrasive chemicals to make it worse. Breaking blisters just exposes you to the possibility of deeper infections. It would be like using sand paper to remove a tattoo.

You probably had something else anyway, since blisters usually don't accompany conjunctivitis.

This can be very, very nasty. When I had it years ago, the white of one eye swelled up with fluid to the point of drooping over the lower eyelid. Went to the emergency room in the middle of the night. Long queue. When I finally got to see the kid doctor, he said, nonchalantly, "you've got pink eye." "Look", I said, "my eye's dissolving and falling out." "Yup. Pink eye." Wrote a prescription which I took to the hospital pharmacy--"Sorry, we're all out of that."

30 years ago in Pattaya you'd notice huge amounts of people with pink eye at this time of the year. Last 20 years I've hardly seen any. If it's back what is the cause of it returning or is the CDC just covering their collective rear ends. Personally I think more attention should be given to dengue and other diseases spread by mosquitoes. Not seen any spraying round here for over 10 years when it used to be regular. Yet many many suffer horribly and sometimes die from dengue etc.