Metered taxi prices jump as roving service starts in Phuket -

phuketrichard

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it does happen, occasionally. It's only ever happened to me once. It's certainly not as common as your post may have people believe. It almost never happens in high season, when they are full anyway.

High season starts in October, the present changes in the transportation system on the island, still under construction, are of the last months.

So we'll have to wait and see, your post is living in the past.

In this post, I'm talking about baht buses in Pattaya.

How is my post living in the past, for Phuket?

See the quote of your words in the post.

Baht buses in Phuket is a long way from any reality. But you never know. The Tuk Tuk mafia have no cover right now and anything could happen.

They make the tuk-tuks cruise around as flat fare hop-on / hop-off baht buses. No haggling, no changing the price at the destination, no assaults.

If they refuse, they are deregistered and the owner/driver can not work/use the vehicle in the public transport industry.

They issue them a deadline, similar to the businesses on the sand. After that deadline, Phuket has baht buses. Job done.

No more BS "assocation." The harder the driver works, the more money he makes. No more collusion to sit around all day doing nothing, just to rip off one tourist for a days salary.

Edited by NamKangMan

I agree that it does happen, occasionally. It's only ever happened to me once. It's certainly not as common as your post may have people believe. It almost never happens in high season, when they are full anyway.

High season starts in October, the present changes in the transportation system on the island, still under construction, are of the last months.

So we'll have to wait and see, your post is living in the past.

See the quote of your words in the post.

Huh????

Basically, a tourist will only require airport transport, twice, in their holiday, however, they will require short distance travel, many times during their holiday, and in some case, several times a day.

Again, I'm not talking about tourists only. We were all given to believe there would be an 'island wide' public transport service. This was said to include an upgraded bus system AND a taxi meter + call centre service.

I would disagree that tourists would only require a limited service - to and from the airport and 'short distances' in between. Many tourists would likely appreciate the option of being able to visit other parts of this island, without having to pay hand over fist for a 'limo' driver. Penang puts Phuket to shame. I know I would've done when first arriving, but, as it happened, already knew people here with their own transport. Most don't.

Again, the promised choice of affordable, easily accessible convenient, public transport in it's many forms and guises available to ALL, remains exactly the same. Shameful.

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 2

Yes in Pattaya we travel side by side with the locals on baht buses and pay only 10 baht So Phuket needs to allow farang to use the same transportation system as the locals.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Basically, a tourist will only require airport transport, twice, in their holiday, however, they will require short distance travel, many times during their holiday, and in some case, several times a day.

Again, I'm not talking about tourists only. We were all given to believe there would be an 'island wide' public transport service. This was said to include an upgraded bus system AND a taxi meter + call centre service.

I would disagree that tourists would only require a limited service - to and from the airport and 'short distances' in between. Many tourists would likely appreciate the option of being able to visit other parts of this island, without having to pay hand over fist for a 'limo' driver. Penang puts Phuket to shame. I know I would've done when first arriving, but, as it happened, already knew people here with their own transport. Most don't.

Again, the promised choice of affordable, easily accessible convenient, public transport in it's many forms and guises available to ALL, remains exactly the same. Shameful.

I see your point jpeg, and agree. Yes, within their holiday, tourists may also require transport for longer distances, for visiting tourist attractions and exploring the island.

At the time of posting, my mind was more fixed on return tourists. Those that have been to Phuket previously, and have visited all the tourist attractions, and now come back just to relax, but you are completely right, the first timers would need some transport for longer distances during their holiday.

I also agree there has been no real change, on the ground, to date, in relation to public transport here. Certainly not enough to put an end to tourists being forced to rent motorbikes.

Yes in Pattaya we travel side by side with the locals on baht buses and pay only 10 baht So Phuket needs to allow farang to use the same transportation system as the locals.

Yes, in Pattaya, the tourists, expats, and locals, all use the baht buses.

The system work well, it reduces traffic - therefore accidents and injuries, reduces parking problems, lowers pedestrian traffic, lowers air and noise pollution, and generally offesr a great service to all customers.

"Phuket needs to allow farang to use the same transportation system as the locals." - it does, it's called a motorbike. biggrin.png

Every individual must have access to a vehicle on Phuket, or face being ripped off by any form of transport here.

anyone seriously think prices would go down?

In Pattaya, the price of a baht bus is 10 baht per journey. Most wouldn't have a problem with double that, 20 baht, on Phuket, provided the routes themselves have a decent length.

This would create an affordable mass public transport system on Phuket and get tourists, locals and expats off motorbikes, especially after consuming alcohol.

For a hard working driver, the potential to make a lot of money is there.

Everybody here is allowed to use the same transportation system.

What transport system???? :)

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

What transport system???? smile.png

This one

songthaew.jpg

• Like 1

Just wonder how long till someone gets in a cab an this happens

"please turn on the meter"

"Meter broken 500 baht please"

Note the taxi's number and if driver still sings the same song, exit the taxi, and report him.

Get in the next taxi - if your at the airport their is a line of them

I think you will find, in the future, they will all have broken meters. smile.png

Of course, this happens in BKK too, and many places once the rain starts, or rush hour.

I see the need for an app on our phones that would be tied to the GPS mapping and each city, island, county, etc, would have the correct fares tables already installed in the app.

Maybe even a "report to authorities button" if the difference in fares is too great.

I looked it up and see that the city of Mumbai has something similar, as does Nepal.

Does anyone have any experience with either of those?

Wishful thinking.

This one

songthaew.jpg

Great to see these buses finally plying the coast road route between the major Phuket Beaches.

The transport issue has now been resolved on Phuket. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Good work Thai Army.

Talk about a post creating a false impression.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

We had this exact conversation about a month ago.

There is a bus between many of the local beaches and the cost is 40thb....by changing at Phuket town all Beaches can be reached.

Yes it is quite slow and no i wouldn't use it.

"Yes it is quite slow and no i wouldn't use it." - so why pass it off as a viable alternative, when it clearly isn't????

Tourists want to travel the coast road, for the beaches by day, and the nightlife by night.

To go from Patong, to Kata, for example, to use this service, you have to go via Phuket Town - hardly a viable option for a tourists.

These buses are mainly for Thai staff, living in cheaper accommodation in Phuket Town, or the fringes, who have employment in tourism/hospitality.

I take your point they exist, but should hardly be used as an example of providing proper public transport in a self proclaimed "world class tourist destination." biggrin.png

There is a bus between many of the local beaches and the cost is 40thb....by changing at Phuket town all Beaches can be reached.

For ex Kamala/Patong return about 5 hours,does not get much bath then. But it is a nice trip.

"Yes it is quite slow and no i wouldn't use it." - so why pass it off as a viable alternative, when it clearly isn't????

Tourists want to travel the coast road, for the beaches by day, and the nightlife by night.

To go from Patong, to Kata, for example, to use this service, you have to go via Phuket Town - hardly a viable option for a tourists.

These buses are mainly for Thai staff, living in cheaper accommodation in Phuket Town, or the fringes, who have employment in tourism/hospitality.

I take your point they exist, but should hardly be used as an example of providing proper public transport in a self proclaimed "world class tourist destination." biggrin.png

Yes but you can use it to go Kata to Karon or Kamala to Surin...Naiharn to Rawai. Good for some routes and not for others. Same as public transport in most places.

I wouldn't use public transport in England let along in Phuket due to the cost and time it takes. I also did not try and pas it off as viable/not viable. I just state the facts and don't try and pretend that there isn't any public transport system in Phuket.

• Like 1

Yes but you can use it to go Kata to Karon or Kamala to Surin...Naiharn to Rawai. Good for some routes and not for others. Same as public transport in most places.

I wouldn't use public transport in England let along in Phuket due to the cost and time it takes. I also did not try and pas it off as viable/not viable. I just state the facts and don't try and pretend that there isn't any public transport system in Phuket.

Have you ever traveled these routes to get from one beach to another?huh.png I have in the past. It would be quicker to bloody WALK. It's protectionism at it's worst, particularly, as has already been pointed out, on this 'Third World Class Holiday Destination', and you're okay with that?

Roving starts and prices go up. Why. For decades the taxi mob has defended it's price structure saying we cannot pickup anybody in a different "zone", we have to go "all the way back" for our next ride.

So here you are Now you Can Pick Up anybody while driving ! So WHYYYY do the fares have to go UP, should be going down !!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

My better half arrived today and paid Thb 550,- from the Airport to Samkong. She used the Limousine service which have desks inside the arrival terminal. That's a amazing Thb 100,- price drop from a year ago. She did however not check the approximate price for meter taxis.

"I wouldn't use public transport in England" - I think the millions of commuters that use the London tube every year would disagree with you. :)

Seriously, Peterocket, do you honestly think the millions of tourists that visit Phuket every year, not to mention the locals and expats living here, believe the public transport between the beaches on the coast is acceptable, for a "world class tourist destination?"

"I just state the facts and don't try and pretend that there isn't any public transport system in Phuket." - I know these buses exist. I accept your point. I am simply stating they are not a viable transport option for tourists who wish to travel between the beaches by day, and the nightlife by night, namely, Patong. Therefore, they should be disregarded.

You are stating that it is indeed public transport, therefore, there is no public transport issue here. A very misleading statement, in my opinion.

Peterocket, did you know, you can fly from Phuket to London, via Sydney - Australia. Just because you can, does that make it a viable route to fly? cheesy.gif

"I wouldn't use public transport in England" - I think the millions of commuters that use the London tube every year would disagree with you. smile.png

Seriously, Peterocket, do you honestly think the millions of tourists that visit Phuket every year, not to mention the locals and expats living here, believe the public transport between the beaches on the coast is acceptable, for a "world class tourist destination?"

"I just state the facts and don't try and pretend that there isn't any public transport system in Phuket." - I know these buses exist. I accept your point. I am simply stating they are not a viable transport option for tourists who wish to travel between the beaches by day, and the nightlife by night, namely, Patong. Therefore, they should be disregarded.

You are stating that it is indeed public transport, therefore, there is no public transport issue here. A very misleading statement, in my opinion.

Peterocket, did you know, you can fly from Phuket to London, via Sydney - Australia. Just because you can, does that make it a viable route to fly? cheesy.gif

You stated "what transport system"

And then the transport system was explained to you again.

Whether it is suitable to everyones needs was not the question. It certainly should not be disregarded as a means of hopping between a lot of local beaches. You need to understand that many tourists look on this site before travelling to Phuket and may want real factual information.

I am unsure of why people who use the london tube system want to disagree with me about whether I would use the English public transport?

This one

songthaew.jpg

Compare this to the ultra modern rapid transit BUSES in little Penang. Shameful.

RapidPenang.jpg

Edited by jpeg