Going in and out of Thailand on a Retirement visa

If your visa (from an embassy or consulate) is a multi-entry (M in the 'number of entries' box) you can go in and out as many times as you like prior to the 'enter before' date. Check with your consulate whether they are issuing multi-entry.

Each entry will net you a 1 year permission to stay.

Make a border hop just before the 'enter before' date and you can squeeze a second year out of the visa, you will then need a re-entry permit to protect your permission if you want to leave and re-enter.

• Like 2

If you are getting a OA visa from the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates you will be able to get unlimited one year entries for a year from the date your visa is issued. If you do an entry just before your visa expires you can get almost 2 years of stay.

After your visa expires you will need a re-entry permit to keep your last entry valid.

• Like 2

You will need a single or multiple re-entry permit which you can obtain at the airport, single 1,000 TBaht a multiple I think is about 1,900 TBaht, as long as you renew your retirement visa at immigration yearly then nothing else is needed. Just make sure you have a valued re-entry permit before you leave otherwise you will loose the retirement permit when you return.

You will need a single or multiple re-entry permit which you can obtain at the airport, single 1,000 TBaht a multiple I think is about 1,900 TBaht, as long as you renew your retirement visa at immigration yearly then nothing else is needed. Just make sure you have a valued re-entry permit before you leave otherwise you will loose the retirement permit when you return.

The OP is talking about a retirement visa (O-A), not permission to stay, or extension, or 'permit', so none of this post applies.
  • Like 1

I have a non-O retirement visa. I had to buy a re-entry permit to travel abroad.

Each time I return to Thailand, my passport is stamped with the ending date of my retirement visa. Crossing a border does not result in an increase in length of stay.

I don't undetstand why all people talk about the re-entry permit? He is getting a multiple visa in his home country. He don't need any re-entry permit, unless his visa has expired

Because some people do not read the post, perhaps they are in too much of a hurry to get their post count up and start thumping the keyboard ?

• Like 2

I am a bit confused now and request a specific answer to my situation. I am 62 with a current multiple entry Retirment visa. It will expire November this year. Said more correctly it has an "enter before"date of November 2914. I am in Thailand now for a few weeks. I will be in Mae Sai and CM in the next few weeks. Here is the question.....what if anything, can I do while in Thailand to extend this visa. I will return for a few months in Jan and would hate to go through the full application process again In the States. Thanks in advance

how do u get a multi-entry retirement visa? i have a retirement visa issued by Thai immigration. it has nothing to do with the home country.

every time i leave Thailand i must get a re-entry permit, or a multi-entry permit; unless i misunderstand the question.

• Like 1

how do u get a multi-entry retirement visa? i have a retirement visa issued by Thai immigration. it has nothing to do with the home country.

every time i leave Thailand i must get a re-entry permit, or a multi-entry permit; unless i misunderstand the question.

What is a """multi-entry retirement visa""". I have a Non-O retirement. I also spent the money for a NON-IMM RE-ENTRY PERMIT marked ( Number of Entries ) MULTHPLE - love the spelling.I go in and out of the country at will.

What is a """multi-entry retirement visa""". I have a Non-O retirement. I also spent the money for a NON-IMM RE-ENTRY PERMIT marked ( Number of Entries ) MULTHPLE - love the spelling.I go in and out of the country at will.

right... what i am asking is about the "multiple entry retirement visa". perhaps they have confused this with the "multiple entry permit"?

If your visa (from an embassy or consulate) is a multi-entry (M in the 'number of entries' box) you can go in and out as many times as you like prior to the 'enter before' date. Check with your consulate whether they are issuing multi-entry.

Each entry will net you a 1 year permission to stay.

Make a border hop just before the 'enter before' date and you can squeeze a second year out of the visa, you will then need a re-entry permit to protect your permission if you want to leave and re-enter.

As far as I know the second year does not apply for a Retirement Visa, you also have to show you have 800,000Baht in a Thai account for three months prior to applying for the second year or a monthly income. If this extension was possible many people would do it and I have never heard this to be the case but I could be wrong. Anyone actually obtained a second year please comment.

I am a bit confused now and request a specific answer to my situation. I am 62 with a current multiple entry Retirment visa. It will expire November this year. Said more correctly it has an "enter before"date of November 2914. I am in Thailand now for a few weeks. I will be in Mae Sai and CM in the next few weeks. Here is the question.....what if anything, can I do while in Thailand to extend this visa. I will return for a few months in Jan and would hate to go through the full application process again In the States. Thanks in advance

Jan you can get 30 days on arrival and extend one time for 30 days, total 60 days. If this is not enough you have to go through the process again, but you have 900 years left on your current Visa, 2914, wow you were lucky, lol.

What do you have now. Do you have a OA visa or a non-o.

If a OA you get one year entries every time you enter and if you do one just before your visa expires you will get another year. Then you would need to get a re-entry permit to keep that entry valid.

If a non-o that gives 90 day entries you could apply for an extension of stay at immigration during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries. You will need 800k baht in Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

When did you last enter Thailand?

What is the date immigration put with that stamp?

The date should be 12 months from the date that you entered.

If so, you can er-enter in a few months.

Then, because your visa will have actually expired, you can remain in the country until the last date on a stamp OR get a re-entry or multiple re-entry permit to allow re-entry until approx mid Audust (thinking that is when you last entered prior to visa expiry date).

As statedc, a multiple re-entry permit is required. The number on the permit will be what you use as a visa number on the Immigrations entry form. Don't leave with out a re-entry permit. I will cause you to lose your visa extension. Verify the stamp when youjr passport is returned. I know of someone who did not and had t re-apply outside of the country for a new business visa. In the case of a retirement extension nonO-A that mena applying from you country of citizenship.

1. Multi entry non immigrant O-A visa allows up to 2 years in Thailand (by exit/entry just before one year date expiration and getting a new one year stay). Only after this period ends and you want to extend inside Thailand will money proof in Thailand be required. Cost is about 5,000 baht for visa but you need medical and financials proof.

2. For second year or extensions re-entry permit is 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi entry but cost a bit more if obtained at airport as they include photos/copies in there price.

there is a lot of confusion on this forum caused by people not giving the correct details about their visa or a general misunderstanding of what they actually have - you need to be specific to get the correct answer

A multi entry 1 year type O visa is not a retirement visa and is generally obtained in your home country- it's description self explains exactly what it is and what it does

A Type O-A visa is generally termed a retirement visa obtained in your home country and expires after a year but if you leave and come back before the expiry date it gets extended for another year

and extension of stay is generally an extension of an existing visa and is based on retirement or spouse, it is obtained in Thailand at a local immigration

• Like 1

Thai Immigration don't issue "multi-entry-retirement-visas". Only Thai embassies and consulates abroad issue visas (except in a few cases where Thai Immigration will issue conversions from tourist visas to non-immigrant "O" ones).

I am 99.99% certain that what you, in fact, have, is a retirement extension of stay valid for 1 year. If you obtain a multiple re-entry permit as well you then have a "retirement-extension-of-stay-cum-multi-re-entry-permit"smile.png

I have a non-O retirement visa. I had to buy a re-entry permit to travel abroad.

Each time I return to Thailand, my passport is stamped with the ending date of my retirement visa. Crossing a border does not result in an increase in length of stay.

You probably have a extension of stay based on retirement. Not a non O visa. Edited by larsjohnsson

"Visa" and "extension of stay" are not synonymous. You cannot renew a (retirement) visa. There is no such thing as a "retirement permit."

You're confusing a visa with an extension of stay based on retirement.

As others have said, if he has a valid multi-entry O-A obtained from an embassy or consulate, he won't need a re-entry permit. Once the use-by date is passed on the visa and he is still in the country on a permission to stay or he has applied for an extension of stay, then he will definitely need a re-entry permit.

Edited by Suradit69

Please Sir,don't listen to all the Bullshit talkers on T V,,,,,IF you have a retirement Visa with an Multiple re-entry permit then you can up to 45 day's before you Visa expires apply for a one year extension of stay here in Thailand BUT if you do this in Thailand you must have an address in Thailand and you Must have 800K Thai Baht for 60 day's,,(next time you apply 90 day's),,in a Bank Account in your name in Thailand,, (show document from bank manager),, BEFORE you can apply for your extension,,,,,,,,,,,,,The 800K Thai Bath can be combined from your pension plus money in the Bank,,,,,,,,,,,,If you like to do that you will have to have to get a document (statement )from you Embassy here in Thailand,,(which is valid for 2 months),, I can say this is the truth because I am doing an extension now The only difference is that I live in Thailand.

If this is not what you want to do,,, go to the nearest Immigration office where you Live (stay) They will gladly help you.

That is what I do if I have to know something..Works for me here in Hat yai. :))

Please Sir,don't listen to all the Bullshit talkers on T V,,,,,IF you have a retirement Visa with an Multiple re-entry permit then you can up to 45 day's before you Visa expires apply for a one year extension of stay here in Thailand BUT if you do this in Thailand you must have an address in Thailand and you Must have 800K Thai Baht for 60 day's,,(next time you apply 90 day's),,in a Bank Account in your name in Thailand,, (show document from bank manager),, BEFORE you can apply for your extension,,,,,,,,,,,,,The 800K Thai Bath can be combined from your pension plus money in the Bank,,,,,,,,,,,,If you like to do that you will have to have to get a document (statement )from you Embassy here in Thailand,,(which is valid for 2 months),, I can say this is the truth because I am doing an extension now The only difference is that I live in Thailand.

If this is not what you want to do,,, go to the nearest Immigration office where you Live (stay) They will gladly help you.

That is what I do if I have to know something..Works for me here in Hat yai. smile.png)

Poster will have a one year permitted to stay stamp on most recent entry and can keep that alive with a re-entry permit to allow using on his return in January and then do the extension of stay procedure and if not here at time due he can return anytime on a non immigrant O (or even tourist visa or 30 day visa exempt) and do conversion here in Thailand if planning on longer stay. Normal validity time of Embassy letter of income is currently six months AFAIK.