Going in and out of Thailand on a Retirement visa

I am a bit confused now and request a specific answer to my situation. I am 62 with a current multiple entry Retirment visa. It will expire November this year. Said more correctly it has an "enter before"date of November 2914. I am in Thailand now for a few weeks. I will be in Mae Sai and CM in the next few weeks. Here is the question.....what if anything, can I do while in Thailand to extend this visa. I will return for a few months in Jan and would hate to go through the full application process again In the States. Thanks in advance

Please Sir,don't listen to all the Bullshit talkers on T V,,,,,IF you have a retirement Visa with an Multiple re-entry permit then you can up to 45 day's before you Visa expires apply for a one year extension of stay here in Thailand BUT if you do this in Thailand you must have an address in Thailand and you Must have 800K Thai Baht for 60 day's,,(next time you apply 90 day's),,in a Bank Account in your name in Thailand,, (show document from bank manager),, BEFORE you can apply for your extension,,,,,,,,,,,,,The 800K Thai Bath can be combined from your pension plus money in the Bank,,,,,,,,,,,,If you like to do that you will have to have to get a document (statement )from you Embassy here in Thailand,,(which is valid for 2 months),, I can say this is the truth because I am doing an extension now The only difference is that I live in Thailand.

If this is not what you want to do,,, go to the nearest Immigration office where you Live (stay) They will gladly help you.

That is what I do if I have to know something..Works for me here in Hat yai. smile.png)

Poster will have a one year permitted to stay stamp on most recent entry and can keep that alive with a re-entry permit to allow using on his return in January and then do the extension of stay procedure and if not here at time due he can return anytime on a non immigrant O (or even tourist visa or 30 day visa exempt) and do conversion here in Thailand if planning on longer stay. Normal validity time of Embassy letter of income is currently six months AFAIK.

Sorry dude Immigration in Hat yai told me Yesterday Monday 1/9/2014 at 11.55 AM Letter from Embassy valid for TWO MONTH'S ,here in Hat yai .That's why I Said,, Go to local Immigration office where you live/stay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Different office ,,,,,,,Different rules,,,,That's Why I said NOT to listen to what everybody say's on TV OKAY ?

I don't undetstand why all people talk about the re-entry permit? He is getting a multiple visa in his home country. He don't need any re-entry permit, unless his visa has expired

Because some people do not read the post, perhaps they are in too much of a hurry to get their post count up and start thumping the keyboard ?

In his original post the OP didn't say what he was getting so no one knew what the proper response was until he clarified that it was a nonO-A, some people just want to be critical, gottca they get off on it.

Good post Smedly,clears my confusion.... question, during the term of the O-A visa (1 year or extended to 2 years) are you required to report every 90 days ??

Yes you must make reports of staying longer than 90 days in the country to immigration.

Good post Smedly,clears my confusion.... question, during the term of the O-A visa (1 year or extended to 2 years) are you required to report every 90 days ??

Yes, you are required to report if/when you are in country for 90 consecutive days. So if you go to Singapore on day 89 and return 5 days later, you wouldn't need to report. Your new 90 day counter starts the day you re-enter Thailand.

(Lotta people on this thread posting false and inaccurate information.)

Here we go again. Total confusion caused by conflicting and disputed so-called information. Thus making this discussion totally useless. I'm sure some of what is here is actually true and valid info ... I just don't know which it is.

how do u get a multi-entry retirement visa? i have a retirement visa issued by Thai immigration. it has nothing to do with the home country.

every time i leave Thailand i must get a re-entry permit, or a multi-entry permit; unless i misunderstand the question.

Totally agree with you, the comments on my previous post such as

'The OP is talking about a retirement visa (O-A), not permission to stay, or extension, or 'permit', so none of this post applies.'

Above misleading to say the least, I have been on Retirement Visa/Permit for 18 years and never had a problem. Every year when renewing my retirement permit I also get a re-entry visa, saves all the hassle if you suddenly want to leave. And no I do not have a O/A only an O.

Above misleading to say the least, I have been on Retirement Visa/Permit for 18 years and never had a problem. Every year when renewing my retirement permit I also get a re-entry visa, saves all the hassle if you suddenly want to leave. And no I do not have a O/A only an O.

You do not have an "O" neither. You have an extension of stay for retirement, and re-entry permit.

You may have called it a visa for 18 years, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the wrong name.

Edited by paz

I joined this forum to try and get a bit more info on what visa my wife and I would need to live in Thailand for the longer term. Our plan is to move there and use it as a base whilst we travel Asia and possibly Europe. We are both Aussies, with me being 51 and the wife is 49. I was looking at the retirement type visa as I qualify financially etc. I subscribe to the TV email list and just about every one of those emails has a subject based on visa questions, which I always read up on. I am getting to the point now where my head is about to explode due to all of the contradicting information. I appreciate that the laws have either been changed or tightened recently and this is causing some confusion.

I was going to do the visa application personally in Oz before heading to Thailand early 2015 but now I'm not so sure that's the smart thing to do. I am now seriously considering using some sort of visa service that basically submits the correct paperwork for me and get's me exactly what I am after. I realise this will cost me and I'm happy to oblige. But even this thread makes mention that these services may not be doing things correctly either. Now my head is really starting to hurt smile.png

There has to got to be an easier way. Has anyone designed a flow chart or is there a reputable and knowledgeable member here that actually knows what exactly is required? Ideally some sort of flow chart would be excellent as I do get somewhat confused on these re-entry visas and extensions. It needs to be clarified by someone that actually knows what they are talking about. Just my 2c, and I do enjoy some of the other stuff on this forum as it does give us a pretty good idea of what we are getting into. Cheers, and thanks.

Edited by jagfx

I joined this forum to try and get a bit more info on what visa my wife and I would need to live in Thailand for the longer term. Our plan is to move there and use it as a base whilst we travel Asia and possibly Europe. We are both Aussies, with me being 51 and the wife is 49. I was looking at the retirement type visa as I qualify financially etc. I subscribe to the TV email list and just about every one of those emails has a subject based on visa questions, which I always read up on. I am getting to the point now where my head is about to explode due to all of the contradicting information. I appreciate that the laws have either been changed or tightened recently and this is causing some confusion.

I was going to do the visa application personally in Oz before heading to Thailand early 2015 but now I'm not so sure that's the smart thing to do. I am now seriously considering using some sort of visa service that basically submits the correct paperwork for me and get's me exactly what I am after. I realise this will cost me and I'm happy to oblige. But even this thread makes mention that these services may not be doing things correctly either. Now my head is really starting to hurt smile.png

There has to got to be an easier way. Has anyone designed a flow chart or is there a reputable and knowledgeable member here that actually knows what exactly is required? Ideally some of flow chart would be excellent as I do get somewhat confused on these re-entry visas and extensions. It needs to be clarified by someone that actually knows what they are talking about. Just my 2c, and I do enjoy some of the other stuff on this forum as it does give us a pretty good idea of what we are getting into. Cheers, and thanks.

It is actually not much complicated, you may be overthinking.

If you read, e.g. answers by ubonjoe, they are correct and simple, and repeated a million of times.

It would be pointless "to clarify", because after one days there would be again people asking again the same questions thinking that their case is special, so all starts again

BTW the laws have not changed or tightened actually there is a case in which they have been made more convenient for retirees.

• Like 1

There has to got to be an easier way. Has anyone designed a flow chart or is there a reputable and knowledgeable member here that actually knows what exactly is required? Ideally some of flow chart would be excellent as I do get somewhat confused on these re-entry visas and extensions. It needs to be clarified by someone that actually knows what they are talking about. Just my 2c, and I do enjoy some of the other stuff on this forum as it does give us a pretty good idea of what we are getting into. Cheers, and thanks.

You can do in Oz - you get O-A and wife gets single entry O - you arrive and get 1 year on entry and she gets 90 days - during her last 30 days she uses TM.7 form and marriage certificate/copy of your one year stay to obtain a matching permission to stay. Each year thereafter you extend together for one year using financials in Thailand for you and she uses dependent status to match. Very simple one form procedure that anyone can do without help.

If you prefer and want to avoid medical/police check for doing on Oz you can arrive here and convert to O entry if using other and extend with money in bank here 2 months or Embassy letter of 65k per month income or combination. One extra step this way (conversion) if you do not enter on non immigrant O visas but same extension process using TM.7 form and a few copies of passport and such - again very easy to do without any help.

There are more various ways to obtain retirement extensions, and once 50 she could obtain for herself with financials, but all are very easy.

Thanks paz and I'll keep an eye out for any answers to any threads that ubonjoe comments on. Sounds like someone that knows their stuff.

And thanks lopburi3. That is probably one of the clearest and concise explanations I have seen here regarding a situation similar to my own. I'll be sure to copy and paste your response into my Thailand word doc. Much appreciated.

You do not have an "O" neither. You have an extension of stay for retirement, and re-entry permit.

You may have called it a visa for 18 years, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the wrong name.

Sorry I do have an 'O' and a retirement 'permit' plus the re-entry permit.

Sorry I do have an 'O' and a retirement 'permit' plus the re-entry permit.

You "had" a non-imm O visa, that has long expired and not pertinent anymore for you to stay in Thailand. What you call "retirement permit" is officially called, if you allow, "extension of stay".

There has to got to be an easier way. Has anyone designed a flow chart or is there a reputable and knowledgeable member here that actually knows what exactly is required? Ideally some sort of flow chart would be excellent as I do get somewhat confused on these re-entry visas and extensions. It needs to be clarified by someone that actually knows what they are talking about. Just my 2c, and I do enjoy some of the other stuff on this forum as it does give us a pretty good idea of what we are getting into. Cheers, and thanks.

There is a much easier way. At the top of the Visa and Immigration page is a "pinned" topic that is titled 'Important Visa Information'. Click on that and you have links to very explicit information that tells one what is required for every type of visa.

Your post is typical of many here - I don't want to do research on my own, someone do it for me. Then you wonder why you can't get a straight answer. It's because you are asking non-authoritative sources, many of whom haven't a clue and many of whom apparently have difficulty with reading comprehension.

Do the basic research yourself and use this forum to clarify what isn't clear after you read the basic requirements. Much more helpful and you'll get the most accurate information by doing so, IMO.

Diplomatico,

With all due respect, I have been on this forum for hours on end reading copious amounts of info relating to visas including the pinned threads at the top. I have also gone to other sources from govt websites to other Thailand traveller's blogs etc. I appreciate that everyone's circumstance is different and I can assure you that I am not requesting others do the leg work for me as I am more than happy to research the info myself. Just wish it wasn't so damn confusing and judging by the number of threads posted on this subject, I'm not the only one in this boat. And you are probably right with regards to misinformation here. Some good and some not so good. But thanks anyway for letting me know how lazy I am :)

Thank you all for your responses. Those of you who talked about extensions , you should have read my original post, it had nothing to do with extensions. Those of you who asked questions about your own particular problems should have started your own post rather than jumping in here, it would have served everyone better.

• Like 1

@ktdiver

To be fair to the other posters, your initial query has been resolved. The thread has evolved and now has answered some other people's issues. Is this a problem?

@jagfx

I'm in Phuket at the moment but returning to South Africa in two weeks, where I will apply for an O-A visa, ship all my stuff and deal with the sale of my house, returning to Phuket in triumph smile.png in time for Christmas!

I have done extensive research {Thai Embassy (Pretoria), Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, even Thai Visa!!!} and the O-A does require more paperwork (the only real effort is for Police Clearance Certificate and getting a medical exam done). However, for this small amount of extra schlep you get a multiple-entry visa that lasts up to almost two years. This is a better option for me but you must decide what suits you best.

As mentioned above, the alternative is "you can arrive here and convert to O entry if using other and extend with money in bank here 2 months or Embassy letter of 65k per month income or combination. One extra step this way (conversion) if you do not enter on non immigrant O visas but same extension process using TM.7 form and a few copies of passport and such - again very easy to do without any help."

I just feel more secure knowing that I have the right visa before arriving in Thailand with all my stuff. There can be no problems this way, no surprises. Then all you need to do is convert your wife's 90-day non-immigrant O visa and you're all set!

Cheers and good luck! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

if you get the single entry does that mean you can only leave once in the 12 months of the visa life?

A single re-entry permit only allows one entry but you can get another one at immigration.

A single entry visa only allows one entry. If you want to leave during your permit to stay you can get a re-entry permit.

Thanks Ubonjoe for your very good work.

As a side note for all, it would be very nice for the clarity of the discussion to use the proper words (visa - single, visa - multiple, extension, single re-entry permit, multiple re-entry permit, visa on arrival, visa exempt, etc.). Otherwise, it'd become very confusing.

Just my 2 cents.

coffee1.gif

Just like profanity <marriage visa> and <retirement visa> should be added to the auto delete function list.

I think that is just nitpickin a bit too much, nothing else to do??

nuttin wrong with that as everyone knows that it is a non O based on marriage or retirement