Good songs for teaching English

phuketsub

I am doing a university course and would like to include some English language songs for my students.

I understand the need to use songs they have heard before and I see a lot of such songs on shows like Thailand's Got Talent.

I am just wondering if anyone can recommend some songs that are catchy, have fairly simple lyrics and are a hit with Thai students.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 1

I did quite a few seminars for Thai English teachers, educational area office employees, etc and I used "Holiday" from Scorpions.

Most of them know and love this song.Many will join in and sing with you......w00t.gif

Another one, I'd reckon is Hotel California from the Eagles.

Good luck.

+1 for Hotel California

NO, no, no, no. Pleeese do not encourage anymore Hotel Californias! I loved this song - and then I came to Thailand. Arrghhhhhhh!

One of my friends has become quite fluent in Thai because of his love of karaoke - he now knows about 10 Thai songs with perfectly correct tones and pronunciation. I can imagine your classroom with the karaoke machine up front as they practice their English. Knowing Thai love for karaoke, you will sure be their favourite teacher .!

+1 for Hotel California

NO, no, no, no. Pleeese do not encourage anymore Hotel Californias! I loved this song - and then I came to Thailand. Arrghhhhhhh!

One of my friends has become quite fluent in Thai because of his love of karaoke - he now knows about 10 Thai songs with perfectly correct tones and pronunciation. I can imagine your classroom with the karaoke machine up front as they practice their English. Knowing Thai love for karaoke, you will sure be their favourite teacher .!

You can check out any time of this forum, but you can never leave......

Another one would be from Danzig. - "Mother"........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gw5pyjBYmQ..

Or Frank Zappa"s : "Why does it hurt, when I pee?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vmPwZT-9zY.thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I thank you all for your contributions; I do think it might be hard to stomach Hotel California six times a week, but I guess it is a sacrifice I may have to make...I would definitely like to work in more Beatles, like 'Love Me Do', but not sure if they would be familiar with it...

"Way Back into Love" would be a good one too.

The students might not necessarily know the song, but I think there is a Thai song with the same/similar melody that is/was really popular this year (Although sorry but I can't remember the name).

Also as there is a movie, "Music and Lyrics", which revolves completely around the creation of this song, there is a good opportunity for some learning outside of the classroom. You also could also do a followup lesson which relates to the movie itself (or a section of the movie).

Also both the movie and song are the type that would usually strike a chord with Thai English students (Romantic Comedy + Love Song).

"Way Back into Love" would be a good one too.

The students might not necessarily know the song, but I think there is a Thai song with the same/similar melody that is/was really popular this year (Although sorry but I can't remember the name).

Also as there is a movie, "Music and Lyrics", which revolves completely around the creation of this song, there is a good opportunity for some learning outside of the classroom. You also could also do a followup lesson which relates to the movie itself (or a section of the movie).

Also both the movie and song are the type that would usually strike a chord with Thai English students (Romantic Comedy + Love Song).

Did you mean this one?

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Yeah that's the one

hehe there's this version as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4K6G03nN-g

It's got Thai + English subs + Korean Singers, can't go wrong lol

(Maybe play the version with Thai subs once, to help with general understanding, and then use the English only version after that, depending on the purpose of the lesson of course).

Yeah that's the one

hehe there's this version as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4K6G03nN-g

It's got Thai + English subs + Korean Singers, can't go wrong lol

(Maybe play the version with Thai subs once, to help with general understanding, and then use the English only version after that, depending on the purpose of the lesson of course).

If they get bored, I'd reckon the Buffalo song......

P.S. Song way too long...

Edited by lostinisaan

My Thai gf sent this to me early on in our relationship.

Was a favourite of hers.

Dead easy to sing along with ...

For some unknown reason (to me) the Thai seem to know this song ...

A bit more advance and heavy hearted lyrics.

Just a variety of suggests, some that may help, based on your Audience.

I reckon the 'Trouble is your Friend' is a great start.

• 2 weeks later...

Dead Kennedy's - Stealing peoples mail

Throbbing Gristle - Hamburger Lady

Joy Division - Love will tear us spart

Dickies - Stuck in a pagoda with Tricia Toyota

Fear - I love livin' in the city

Throbbing Gristle, geez; I haven't thought about those weirdos in a couple of decades.

Sleazy P died here a few years ago