Contemplating Marriage Please Help

I have tried to research and search through these threads but I have not gotten the answers to the questions I have.

I am currently on an ED visa and have been for three yearsm speak good Thai and I have been with my girlfriend for 4 years, she is a little bit older than me in fact and I am mid 20s. I am not wealthy and I have some savings and money sent to me monthly. I am either going to move to Laos or get married because the new rules make the ED visa option more hassle and still nobody can agree on what is right and what is incorrect at the immigration offices and schools.

Anyway if you guys could help me answer these questions I would much appreciate it, my next extension runs out October 31st so I need to get this figured out soon to be honest.

>What paper work do I need?

>How do I actually go about getting married here, not looking into a formal ceremony.

>Do I need proof of income?

>If I do get married, do I still have to report to immigration and or leave the country from time to time?

>How much does the entire procedure cost at an estimate?

I know this is a bit vague in areas but I honestly have no idea how to go about this..

I know not the current rules however, why marry at all? Ok, so you want to be married. You can get married in Thailand but not report the marriage to the government. Next, you can report it to the government which just gets you into legal issues - but maybe you can get a marriage VISA easier...I assume so at least.

Normally, a marriage means alimony up front. That is called a dowry. You pay it to the parents nonrefundable. When you leave her for a younger woman yes, it could have been a one night accident, but she can leave you ASAP and go get the dowry to live on for a while.

I'm in almost the exact same situation as you. I'm 28, I earn my living outside the country and send the money here, and have been with my girlfriend for about 4 years. We hadn't planned on getting married before the whole immigration crackdown, but seeing as we already have a young son together, we decided to a few weeks back.

To get married you'll need a signed bit of paper from your embassy or consulate. It cost me just over 3000 baht to get mine from the British consulate in Chiang Mai. You'll then need to get this translated (there are shops that do this near most consulates I think) and then stamped at the Ministry of Foreign affairs. I ended up just paying my translator an extra few hundred baht to do the second step for me.

Then take this stamped translation to any Amphur and they'll marry you. It takes around an hour I guess, and it was just filling out some paperwork. At the end you and your wife will each get a marriage certificate. Not very romantic at all, but very painless.

After that, just take your marriage certificate, a copy of your wife's housebook (Tabien Baan) and her ID card to any consulate to get your marriage visa. Savannakhet in Laos is a popular place to do this, because you can get a multiple entry 12 month visa there without providing any financial proof. In fact, I'm making the trip there myself next week to get mine.

Good luck!

EDIT: I also discussed the issue of Sin Sot with my wife beforehand, and we chose not to pay it. Her parents seemingly don't have any issue with this, probably because I've been supporting my wife and son for years already, and they know the money would be better used for that. It's something you'll have to sit down with your wife and possibly her parents to discuss.

Edited by Bardeh
  • Like 1

I'm in almost the exact same situation as you. I'm 28, I earn my living outside the country and send the money here, and have been with my girlfriend for about 4 years. We hadn't planned on getting married before the whole immigration crackdown, but seeing as we already have a young son together, we decided to a few weeks back.

To get married you'll need a signed bit of paper from your embassy or consulate. It cost me just over 3000 baht to get mine from the British consulate in Chiang Mai. You'll then need to get this translated (there are shops that do this near most consulates I think) and then stamped at the Ministry of Foreign affairs. I ended up just paying my translator an extra few hundred baht to do the second step for me.

Then take this stamped translation to any Amphur and they'll marry you. It takes around an hour I guess, and it was just filling out some paperwork. At the end you and your wife will each get a marriage certificate. Not very romantic at all, but very painless.

After that, just take your marriage certificate, a copy of your wife's housebook (Tabien Baan) and her ID card to any consulate to get your marriage visa. Savannakhet in Laos is a popular place to do this, because you can get a multiple entry 12 month visa there without providing any financial proof. In fact, I'm making the trip there myself next week to get mine.

Good luck!

First off all, there is no marriage visa. You can get a non-o based on being married. After that you can go the your immigration office and ask for a extention based on being married.

But here you have to show proof of income.

So please don't tell the op to go just across the border and everything will be fine. BTW, good luck on your own trip!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Since you do not put needed details like nationality. The answers here are not for sure in fact can be 100% wrong like proof of income if your some nationalities yes you do.

Check out web sites about getting legally married in Thailand. They have the real answers you need.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Please read the procedure on getting a divorce and what happens to children, and secondly assets upon divorce BEFORE you consider getting married.

Unless you want to give a real shot at building a life with this person and are willing to make sacrifices...that is what marriage is about.

Don't want kids, decided that many years ago as I knew I never wanted to have that kind of responsibility and I would most likely be a bad father anyway, so I got the snip.

Well done on doing that.

Does your girlfriend know and understand what this means?

It seems to me that getting married in Thailand provides no benefit at all if you are doing it to stay here.

I'd rather take the money and start a company, even hiring 4 Thais would be cheaper and if the business is real there is even a chance of it making money.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

If you have nothing in Thailand, you are on an Ed visa - Why not get married ? What's to loose ?

Is the OP aware, just by marrying a national, doesn't mean you will get a visa ? There are a couple of options, with 400,000B in the bank, for two months and forever more, you can get a year and a succession of 12 month extensions. 40,000B a month coming-in will also work. The other option is a 12 month multi entry which will get you 15-17 months, and but will need to leave the country every 3 months.

The marriage procedure is pretty easy. just allow yourself time to do it, after the first translation, you don't need an agency to do it, its peanuts.

If your going to be thinking about staying for longer than 3-4-5 years, how long can you keep on studying ? You may as well take the plunge, save some money by not paying for the constant schooling - its good to take a break. 4 years is a long time for a Thai to be living with a partner, my missus didn't stop moaning after 3 years ( after marriage she just moaned about doing something else ).

I would say go for it.

I have tried to research and search through these threads but I have not gotten the answers to the questions I have.

You can't have put much effort into your search since your questions about requirements for an extension based on marriage have been discussed and answered ad nauseum in numerous threads.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I know not the current rules however, why marry at all? Ok, so you want to be married. You can get married in Thailand but not report the marriage to the government. Next, you can report it to the government which just gets you into legal issues - but maybe you can get a marriage VISA easier...I assume so at least.

Normally, a marriage means alimony up front. That is called a dowry. You pay it to the parents nonrefundable. When you leave her for a younger woman yes, it could have been a one night accident, but she can leave you ASAP and go get the dowry to live on for a while.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about sin sod (dowry) so checkout this page for a clear explanation and good advice

http://usa.siam-legal.com/family-law/thai-dowry.php

You haven't given a good reason for marriage . In your mid 20s you need the job to stay in Thailand . To stay in Thailand on a marrige visa you will need to be over 50yrs old . I would advise you not to enter into a marriage of convenience that will be just another burden . Thai women marry a foreigner for money and security , you don't seem to be really established in a career yet and a married man needs ti have a minimum of BT40,000 per month .

Your wrong Toscano for a retirement visa you need to be over 50 for a marriage just of legal age ( I think 20) with income of 40,000 Baht a month or 400,000 in bank or combo. Thats why the op is comtemplating marriage in order to stay here .

Let's not all be too negative.

It all depends on the individuals.

I would have rather have waited a little longer, or not marry at all, but I did marry my gf with the temptation of the visa. Be it right or wrong. She is lovely and has never asked me for a single baht, neither has her family, who are also low earners.

She likes me for who I am, she also knows I don't have much. She is in a low paid job and we rent a modest little house. I've been in Thailand long enough now to know all Thai woman are not just gold-diggers, many are wonderful and respectful.

If I buy her something small, she is more than grateful.

We shouldn't stereotype people from any country. Every country seems to have the good, the bad and the ugly.

• Like 1

You haven't given a good reason for marriage . In your mid 20s you need the job to stay in Thailand . To stay in Thailand on a marrige visa you will need to be over 50yrs old . I would advise you not to enter into a marriage of convenience that will be just another burden . Thai women marry a foreigner for money and security , you don't seem to be really established in a career yet and a married man needs ti have a minimum of BT40,000 per month .

Your wrong Toscano for a retirement visa you need to be over 50 for a marriage just of legal age ( I think 20) with income of 40,000 Baht a month or 400,000 in bank or combo. Thats why the op is comtemplating marriage in order to stay here .

Wrong.

You cannot use a combination.

It has to be income or bank money.

It's likely I'll get married next year. I've never been married before so I understand the procedure about getting the appropriate affidavit from the UK Embassy etc. The marriage certificate from the amphur will be in Thai so a certified translation will be required. Do I need to submit anything to the British Embassy?

I have a company pension and on my death, my wife will be entitled to a pension (index-linked) at half the rate when I die. I'll need to contact them to ascertain their requirements in this respect at the time.

Alan

Someone wrote that a dowry is "usually" asked for when getting married.

Although I have no intention of getting married, I am still wanting to know more about this issue.

Can someone please explain?

Part of the reason I ask...

A friend of mine had a couple of simple dates with a Thai lady in her late 30s, who has a child.

When my friend invited the lady over to his house for dinner she apparently quickly said "Nothing will transpire regarding sex, unless you offer financial support for me and my child and a "guarantee".

This left me wondering, after reading about dowries usually being asked for in marriages- Is this just an attempt by the lady to try and make money with a possible affair, and or, is there some "traditional" values in play here?

And please, just low key answers being sought.

Someone wrote that a dowry is "usually" asked for when getting married.

Although I have no intention of getting married, I am still wanting to know more about this issue.

Can someone please explain?

Part of the reason I ask...

A friend of mine had a couple of simple dates with a Thai lady in her late 30s, who has a child.

When my friend invited the lady over to his house for dinner she apparently quickly said "Nothing will transpire regarding sex, unless you offer financial support for me and my child and a "guarantee".

This left me wondering, after reading about dowries usually being asked for in marriages- Is this just an attempt by the lady to try and make money with a possible affair, and or, is there some "traditional" values in play here?

And please, just low key answers being sought.

Your friend's thai date is trying it on 100%. Sin sod for sex. That is a joke. The lady is late 30s with child. No sin sod should be payable. The lady would be lucky to get any Thai man who would not pay a single baht to get married. Your mate should just walk away. What benefit is there for him? He can pay her for sex if that is what she wants, but that is minimal. Forget about any other payments.

So... paying a dowry is not a fixed part of Thai traditional culture.. is what I read just now.

OK.

And yes, I would guess that a Thai man is not going to pay money to a lady that already has a child, as some form of guarantee of his "intent".

With the "requirements" that my friend was told by his hoped to be girlfriend, it seems to me, that yes, the woman is just striving to get what she can, if she can.

In a more conservative society I can see the need for women to protect their reputation. But I don't see this being the case here.

OK thanks, I was just wanting to know if the lady's requirements seemed to be based on cultural norms, and the answer to that seems to be "No".

I should probably have started a new topic, but since this is about marriage I will continue..

My girlfriends cousin is married to an Australian, which entitles him to a non-o, if he wanted to find work teaching English, can he do this and get a WP without having a degree?

And to the OP, just do it...

I should probably have started a new topic, but since this is about marriage I will continue..

My girlfriends cousin is married to an Australian, which entitles him to a non-o, if he wanted to find work teaching English, can he do this and get a WP without having a degree?

And to the OP, just do it...

A degree would still be needed. Being married to a Thai does not change that.

It just makes it easier to get visas and extensions of stay.