Stop by immigration upon entering at Suvarnabhumi Airport

I a Malaysian and have been traveling in and out of Thailand every month for the past 5 years with exemption 30 days VISA. I also have a Thai wife registered in Thailand for 2 years. Usually I would stay until almost end or end of 30 days or travel out within 2 weeks for meeting few days and back again. I also do not work in Thailand as I have an income from Malaysia which i don't need to be in the office. i normally work from my laptop and speak over the phone wherever i m but occasionally travel back to Kuala Lumpur or other asian countries for meetings.

In Bangkok, i bought a house and a car under my wife name and money that I have is not much but sufficient for every month as traveling in and out of Thailand is claimable from the company in Malaysia.

On 27th August 2014, i arrived back to Suvarnabhumi Airport from Kuala Lumpur with my wife. The immigration officer took a long time flipping through my Passport and then ask me to proceed to the office nearby. They ask me to fill up a simple form with local Thai address and also ask me if i have a return ticket. i told them i don't usually buy a return ticket as I may be traveling out to another country for meeting within short notice.

A higher rank officer came forward asking me why do i travel to Thailand so often and every month for the past 5 years. They accuse me of working illegally and i told them i don't work at all in Thailand. I also told them i have a fixed monthly income from Malaysia and do not need to be in office which i work from my laptop. Then i told them i have a Thai wife in which she already past through the immigration. I then ask my wife to meet me at the office and explain to them with copy of Thai marriage certificate. They ask me why don't i get a marriage visa, so i told them i travel in and out every month and i only overstay by 1 day once through out my 5 years and not necessary to get a VISA.

They told me to apply for marriage VISA and need to show proof of my wife Bank account with THB 800,000. I told them i do not have that kind of money. Then they say if Bank account with THB 400,000 must be in the account for 2 months. i also told them i don't have that kind of money as well. They then to me that this time they let me in for the final time, stamped on my passport with remarks written in Thai. They told me the next incoming trip to Thailand must have a marriage VISA otherwise they will deny my entry.

What can i do? I don't mind paying THB 5000 baht for VISA but i not able to show THB 800,000 bank account in Thailand. Is there anyway i can go about this problem. I have 2 lovely canine in Bangkok and wish to be with my wife all the time. Wife don't have much saving although she got a good amount of monthly income from her small business. She pay for the house loan and i pay for the car loan.

If anyone have any solution it would be of great help.

• Like 2

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports are that you need to show Bt 150,000 to apply in Penag. Otherwise you can obtain a multi-entry non-imm O visa in Savannakhet Laos without showing financial proof.

You can also extend any type of entry for 60 days at immigration, no financial proof, fee Bt 1,900.

• Like 1

It can't be possible to have wife, car and house here. Stay here most of the year without working. And don't own 400k or 40k a month for the extension of stay.

How do you know what is possible and what is not ? Beside that is absolutely possible, remember that you just like anybody else are a member of the forum and are not called to make financial judgments on anybody's else situation.

But you are allowed to make judgement on others. And he wrote that he work wherever he is Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

I work from my laptop for Malaysian company. I report to them. A client sent email to company in Malaysia and forward to me for consultation. The business does not involve Thailand and i don't get paid by any company in Thailand or by Thai people. My income is paid by Malaysian.

You are not allowed to do that. So if you can get away with it and just show the 40k you should be very happy :)

• Like 1

How do you know what is possible and what is not ? Beside that is absolutely possible, remember that you just like anybody else are a member of the forum and are not called to make financial judgments on anybody's else situation.
But you are allowed to make judgement on others. And he wrote that he work wherever he is

I don't make judgments. I report options and facts as they are, period. I take example from the appreciated moderators of this forum, perhaps you should look at that option too.

The immigration says they wanna see money in Thai Bank Account. Proof that I get THB40,000 in Malaysia does not apply. I also paid income tax in Malaysia. Is not illegal that i work from my laptop even i m in Thailand or in any countries. Need help from you guys, not judging me

Help given above, first step you need a non-imm 'O' multi entry, choices are are Malysia if you can present a convincing application, or Laos with no financial support needed.

I work from my laptop for Malaysian company. I report to them. A client sent email to company in Malaysia and forward to me for consultation. The business does not involve Thailand and i don't get paid by any company in Thailand or by Thai people. My income is paid by Malaysian.

You are not allowed to do that. So if you can get away with it and just show the 40k you should be very happy :)

Meaning all salesman who come here for sales even on day trip need a working visa? This is interesting.

• Like 2

The immigration says they wanna see money in Thai Bank Account. Proof that I get THB40,000 in Malaysia does not apply. I also paid income tax in Malaysia. Is not illegal that i work from my laptop even i m in Thailand or in any countries. Need help from you guys, not judging me

When you go the the Immigration in Thailand and apply for the extension of stay based on thai wife. Then you can choose between 400k in the bank. Or 40k as a monthly income.

You are not allowed to do that. So if you can get away with it and just show the 40k you should be very happy smile.png

Meaning all salesman who come here for sales even on day trip need a working visa? This is interesting.

He is not a salesman on a one day trip. He stays here most of the year. And work for a company

You are not allowed to do that. So if you can get away with it and just show the 40k you should be very happy smile.png

He is not a salesman on a one day trip. He stays here most of the year. And work for a company

Yes I'm aware. Hypotactically all overseas salesman in Thailand for sales needs a working visa .

When you go the the Immigration in Thailand and apply for the extension of stay based on thai wife. Then you can choose between 400k in the bank. Or 40k as a monthly income.

Are there no looser conditions for citizens of Malaysia, considering they are a friendly and reasonably affluent neighbour?

Appreciate your comments. Can i do VISA in Vientiane instead of Suvannakhet with no financial proof. Never been there, probably can tour the place at the same time. Or is it better doing it in Suvannakhet?

Suvannakhet is better due to multiple consistent reports, and same day service.

• Like 1

Appreciate your comments. Can i do VISA in Vientiane instead of Suvannakhet with no financial proof. Never been there, probably can tour the place at the same time. Or is it better doing it in Suvannakhet?

Suvannakhet is better due to multiple consistent reports, and same day service.

Thanks a million

Well I guess this post will shortly be deleted by the Thaivisa constabulary but last year when I turned up at chaeng Wattana, the friendly immigration officer said he could arrange 400k to be temporarily deposited in my kasikon account to satisfy the requirements for his fee that was around 10k. Just saying like.

Ok, thanks for that info

You do work while in Thailand (with your laptop) and don't pay tax in Thailand. This is illegal.

Offshore work paid to a foreign bank without a Thai employer or presence in Thailand is not illegal. Anecdotal reports of immigration officials confirming this are numerous and documented on these forums.
The statements in those links are not intended as a green light for people to do their online work here forever on TR visas / exemption stamps, but that's the only issue - that OP gets the correct visa for long stay.
His work itself is not criminal.

I don't care if he work. But you are wrong. Those where about Digital Nomads. He is not one of those. It's a big difference to be an employee in a company.

• Like 1

I don't care if he work. But you are wrong. Those where about Digital Nomads. He is not one of those. It's a big difference to be an employee in a company.

His company is offshore, no? He is a digital nomad.

You say it's illegal yet the authorities allowed him into the country with another exemption stamp and simply a note to arrange an appropriate visa next time.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 2