Stop by immigration upon entering at Suvarnabhumi Airport

People keep pushing this savanaket is the best place and rules are lax.

And that is good in the short term.

However it will have to change soon just like Hull in UK

Then what?

Anyone doing the savanaket way now should start to have a plan B in place. And not think it's forever.

So you don't get caught short with little time to do anything

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if he work. But you are wrong. Those where about Digital Nomads. He is not one of those. It's a big difference to be an employee in a company.

His company is offshore, no? He is a digital nomad.

You say it's illegal yet the authorities allowed him into the country with another exemption stamp and simply a note to arrange an appropriate visa next time.

The Immigration don't know he works of course. Nothing the Immigration did had anything to do with work or WP. (and I don't mind it) It was all about staying here on visa exemptions. They didn't like that he had been travelling in/out all the time for 5 years on visa exemptions..........he must have over 60 of those in 5 years time.

Just getting the non O and then the 12 month extension based on his Thai wife will solve everything

Edited by bangkoklasse

Good to hear all the pro and con reply..

Well, i don't work 9 - 5 every day at home in Bangkok. In a week i may receive about 3 - 7 emails forwarded from my company in Malaysia. It take only few minutes to reply an email. Some email take 10 - 15 min to reply. Others email @ 30 min - 1 hour plus. So in a week my working hour is less than 10 hours in total. Is like replying a friend email with description what to do, how to do and how to solve some problems. That's all.... Easy job but need someone who know the "know how"and expertise in providing solution in my industry via email.

Only 10 hours per week. Rest of the time relax, watch TV, watch movie and spend time with playing with my 2 pet dog and wife.

I even told the immigration at Suvarnabhumi what i do and to them is not like a job at all with so much free time. So they couldn't even bother what i do or how i do as long as i don't earn money from Thai company or Thai people. They just want me to apply for appropriate VISA to Thailand. They specifically mentioned about the THB 800,000 which what they are more concern of.

I just need a solution from you guys and there was a suggestion to get VISA at Suvannakhet in Laos with showing any financial proof. I would most likely to try that out if it work. Any other suggestion or solution will be greatly appreciated.

People keep pushing this savanaket is the best place and rules are lax.

And that is good in the short term.

However it will have to change soon just like Hull in UK

Then what?

Anyone doing the savanaket way now should start to have a plan B in place. And not think it's forever.

So you don't get caught short with little time to do anything

Then you apply to London who are now just as 'lax' as you may wish to call it. Job done if you are married.

Thailand may not be exclusive to those of your mindset quite yet.

The Immigration don't know he works of course.

As he mentioned after your post, he told them. They didn't care. Still think it's illegal? You and the guy that liked your post know better than the authorities?

Edited by jspill

Firstly the OP is malay. So London wouldn't be no good.

In wanted to point out always know the alternatives if one way gets blocked

IE. Start putting away X amount that is needed at the moment.

Rather than looking to go to Laos or Cambodia

I tried to offer some advice to the OP then you pop up with your sarky remarks.

You do work while in Thailand (with your laptop) and don't pay tax in Thailand. This is illegal.

----------------

To be clear, even if you work on line and DON'T get paid for it,

Any "work related activities", whether you get compensated for it or not if performed in Thailand is considered "working in Thailand".

You need a Thai Work Permit to do those activities you called "Work related". That includes answering emails related to your job in Malaysia.

And you clearly don't have a Thai Work Permit.

The law has been this way for many years, but the Thais simply haven't enforced it. In reality, the law is virtually unenforceable.

It doesn't make sense, but it is a law, and that's a fact. Since when do laws, in Thailand or anywhere, have to make sense?

But that is not why you were stopped.

From what I understand you have been entering on 30 day visa exempt entries for the last 6 years.

That is exactly what the "crackdown" in the last 3 months or so has been about, and Thai immigration will no longer allow those repeated 30 day visa exempt entries any longer.

The new policy went into effect on those passengers arriving by AIR on 13 August 2014, and by LAND entries about a month before that.

You will need to seriously find a way of getting a Thai visa to enter Thailand repeatedly.

No more repeated visa exempt 30 days entries.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

You are Malaysian so why don't you apply from here in KL?

Your company is also in Malaysia, surely they could help you out in proving you can show your earnings are 40K Bht/Month or over (unless you earn less than that)?

You only have one real option (read correct) and that is get an Non Imm O Visa based on marriage.

Didn't you know about the upcoming changes?

I am a malaysian whose stay at hatyai who got a non(o)visa single entry last week base on my son.My visa is free but only for 3 months.Actually i want a multi entries visa but the officer at consulat kuala lumpur give out only 3 month for my first time application.She told me to apply the multi visa at hatyai the next time around .Application is the same but what i know the best thing for u is to get a marry certificate which going make think alot easy .May i know which part of Malaysia you stay?

The immigration officer should know better than to mention "Marriage Visa" as there is no such thing.

As he mentioned 400,000 baht in a bank he must have been meaning and "extension of stay, for the purpose of supporting Thai Spouse" but you can't apply for that unless you have a O Visa, and you can get that in many places without being asked about income or wealth. Savanakhet has already been mentioned, they will certainly give you a multiple entry O visa if you bring along your Thai marriage certificate, also many other places will issue Multi Entry O visa.. probably not KL though I'm sure they have different rules there for Malaysia nationals.

Honestly, a O visa is the answer for now, perhaps this time next year the purge will be over.

Thanks for letting us know, it gives an insight on how things are at the business end.

It seems correct though that you should be questioned since you continuously use 30 day Visa Exemptions.

They are meant for tourism purposes, which obviously does not apply to you.

Just got back form Savankanet Laos where I obtained a 12 month NON Immigrant O based on being married to a thai and I did not have to show any financials so the best scenario for you is to go there NOW while they are still issuing NON O visas without financials this would solve your problem immediately

• Like 2

Thanks for letting us know, it gives an insight on how things are at the business end.

It seems correct though that you should be questioned since you continuously use 30 day Visa Exemptions.

curious, what would an executive living in singapore but visiting a local office in bangkok 2x a month use?

seems rediculous to require a non b just to come here to stay in a hotel, eat in restaurants, spend money to visit your office for a few days.

edit to add, what about those coming here to attend some convention? not tourists so they should apply for a visa and not use the 30day?

Edited by bkkjames

You do work while in Thailand (with your laptop) and don't pay tax in Thailand. This is illegal.

I believe you are wrong about this.

(Searching for information in very recent thread, stating that one CAN be accessing work online whilst in Thailand.)

Besides, this is not something that can be controlled anyway!

Further, It is stupid to even mention it, to anyone, because there are so many pompous immigration officials who don't even know the rules, and can't wait to slam a stamp in someone's passport, in addition to arm chair Thai Visa "officials" who shoot from the hip about what they think they know.

• Like 1

curious, what would an executive living in singapore but visiting a local office in bangkok 2x a month use?

seems rediculous to require a non b just to come here to stay in a hotel, eat in restaurants, spend money to visit your office for a few days.

edit to add, what about those coming here to attend some convention? not tourists so they should apply for a visa and not use the 30day?

Just entering for a few days several times a month would be acceptable.

It is when you stay for a the full 30 days that can create a problem.

Well coincidentally a friend of mine came in for a meeting and (a few days), and his company did go to the trouble of obtaining a Business Visa. And I too have come in for business reasons on a 30 day exemption... but a long time in the past.

The Exemption is meant for Tourism Purposes, so your Singapore Executive should get a Multiple, Non-Imm B.

I doubt a person visiting irregularly would be stopped and questioned, unless he (correctly) entered Business as purpose of visit.

Well coincidentally a friend of mine came in for a meeting and (a few days), and his company did go to the trouble of obtaining a Business Visa. And I too have come in for business reasons on a 30 day exemption... but a long time in the past.

The Exemption is meant for Tourism Purposes, so your Singapore Executive should get a Multiple, Non-Imm B.

I doubt a person visiting irregularly would be stopped and questioned, unless he (correctly) entered Business as purpose of visit.

it's absurd and speaks volumes (the mindset). Fly into SG, HK and the like and you are not questioned by 'we suspect you are doing business crowd'. Just welcome to Hong Kong / Singapore and enjoy your stay...even if that means you are staying in a 5 star hotel to attend meetings or some international convention.

Well I guess this post will shortly be deleted by the Thaivisa constabulary but last year when I turned up at chaeng Wattana, the friendly immigration officer said he could arrange 400k to be temporarily deposited in my kasikon account to satisfy the requirements for his fee that was around 10k. Just saying like.

Wow that's cheap! Thanks for the heads up thumbsup.gif

Well I guess this post will shortly be deleted by the Thaivisa constabulary but last year when I turned up at chaeng Wattana, the friendly immigration officer said he could arrange 400k to be temporarily deposited in my kasikon account to satisfy the requirements for his fee that was around 10k. Just saying like.

If you know who can do that, send me the info. Thanks.

Go to penang Consulate , you only have to show 400,000 in any account doesnt have to be Thai, I live in Malaysia as well and am getting my Spousal Visa at the end of this month. I returning to Thailand on 12th to get married and a I only left on 4th I am expecting some problems with Immigration

Reports are that you need to show Bt 150,000 to apply in Penag. Otherwise you can obtain a multi-entry non-imm O visa in Savannakhet Laos without showing financial proof.

You can also extend any type of entry for 60 days at immigration, no financial proof, fee Bt 1,900.

Its 400,000 in Penang , non Thai bank is accepted

He was probably the friendly immigration officer that was moved to an inactive posting earlier this year. as reported on TV.

Here is the situation to obtain Non-O visa for your case at different locations, speaking from my experience:

KL: Only issue single entry Non-O visa even for Malaysian with financial proof. Next day collection.

Penang: Can issue multiple entry 1 year Non-O visa with financial proof of 400k. Next day collection.

Savannaket: Can issue multiple entry 1 year Non-O visa without any financial proof. Same day collection.

As for Malaysia passport holder, application fee is waived for all locations above. With multiple entry visa, you will need to do border run every 90 days.

Edited by cresta

I haven't read through all the posts and don't intend to, so if this advice or comment was made previously apologies.

For the poster as a Malaysian the next few months maybe inconvenient. However in the coming years given the movement on a common visa system currently being adopted by some member states, one would imagine this system will be expanded in due time to allow the freer movement of labour of ASEAN citizens between member states as some trade barriers (supposedly) will be loosened and relaxed.

Very difficult to prove this.. He is ok catching up with emails about work on his laptop. But from what I can see his business is registered in Malaysia and payments are made in Malaysia so as long as he is not "trading" in any way in and out of Thailand it would be impossible to prove he was working in Thailand and effectively he isn't.

I know a few people who spend a lot of time in Thailand with their wives but have absolutely no business connections with Thailand and all of their income is registered and received in another country which is where their tax is paid.

So, should be ok.

• Like 1

Don't be ridiculous!

That would mean anyone here from any country even on holiday that answered business calls or sent work e mails to their office back home is supposedly classed as working here illegally? Why do you people have to nit pick at such petty things?

• Like 1

Strictly speaking as you spend more than 180days in Thailand per year you are considered to be resident for tax purposes, based on your admission that you are visa runner(you travel out of Thailand only for a few days). Secondly you have a Thai Wife, house and car which tells them that indeed you are normally resident here. Therefore you must get a proper visa and 1 year extension and multiple entry permit. Which is exactly what they told me when I was working overseas on a 10 week on 3 weeks off rotation. Had I not had a Thai wife and house here they would have considered me as a genuine tourist on R&R.

Thirdly, are you telling us that you actually pay income tax in Malaysia since you clearly are not resident for tax purpose according to Malaysian rules?