Will I get new ED Visa? If not, can I come back to get my stuff?

I need to go abroad to get a new ED visa in November.

1) With the recent changes, I'm worried they might not give me a new visa because I've been doing this for so many years. I have been on ED visas for 8 or 9 years, mostly studying Thai with 2 years Russian in the middle. At first, I studied hard and learned how to speak and write Thai. But recently I've been really lazy with my studies and am very rusty. I'm worried that they might just refuse me because I've done so many years already, or because I can't answer their informal "test" questions in Thai very well. I am practicing now, so hoping that will help.

2) If they don't give me a visa, I wonder if they'll let me come back to Thailand for a few weeks to get my things and settle my affairs.

I have been on ED visas for 8 or 9 years, mostly studying Thai ...
I'm worried that they might just refuse me because ... I can't answer their informal "test" questions in Thai very well.

How many more years were you planning to be a "student?"

The word "incredible" keeps coming to mind ... asdf_rules and UK_rules in the same thread ... but ultimately maybe Immigrations_rules will prevail.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Come on man...you are in Thai country, taking years of classes, and you are 'rusty'? You should be practicing Thai every day!

I'm not usually one to side with the hard core conservative guys on here, but if I live in a country for going on a decade I would show my appreciation to my adopted culture and learn the native language. I would practice it every day and not expect everyone to speak to me in English.

I guess I just don't see how it was humanely possible to LOSE thai speaking ability while one is in Thailand.

To add, I think it's fine to take classes for years and get ED visa's for years like you have. I'm sure it takes a decade of classes to get truly, comfortably fluent and conversant in a tonal language so different from one's own. But what I don't understand is how you actually got worse. Even if you just paid the school to get the visa, and didn't attend classes, you're in Thailand! You live in one big Thai language classroom!

1. I have not seen any reports of anybody being denied a ED visa. Where do you plan on getting it?

2. You could enter on an exempt entry or get a tourist visa instead of the the ED visa. They would not deny you entry.

And if you enter visa exempt, since last week you will be able to extend it another 30 days at immigration. But plan on that working only once unless a visa run company expressly tells you otherwise, i.e. they have an "arrangement".

For what I read the MOE is not working with Immigration or with embassies and consulates 3 different organism with no communication.

your plan should be

1.- Changing your school for a good one (probably your old school is already banned, who knows??)

2.- Maybe is good time to renew your old passport

3.- Check with your new school what you really need

Some nationals are required to show fly tickets or other things depending of the embassy.

4.- Study another thing, not Thai language (is not for you), Muay Thai as a example so when the IO asks what have you learned?, you can answer with some nice kicks

5.- For the best back to Thailand by air avoid Sadao land frontier or any other frontier with problems (check in the forum)

6.- Get 20k baht in your hand, and probably more if they mess with fly tickets, bookbanks or money in another currency will not work since they will try to get some tip inside your passport (as in Sadao)

7.- Stop working illegal, back to your country, stop eating noodles in your fan room, get the Elite card and etc ...you know all those smart and constructive retiree comments LOL

8.- Be good ;)

I'd love to study Thai for 6-7 years. That'd make me fluent, especially being based in Thailand with lots of opportunities to use the language.

May be languages aren't your cup of tea and you should try other courses (lots of universities around).

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the replies, folks. I really appreciate it.

BTW I forgot to say I'm Canadian.

1. I have not seen any reports of anybody being denied a ED visa. Where do you plan on getting it?

2. You could enter on an exempt entry or get a tourist visa instead of the the ED visa. They would not deny you entry.

Thanks Joe. Good to know. I'll probably go to KL to get it. Or maybe Loas or Cambodia.

If they don't give you another Ed visa just start using back to back tourist visas, I'm sure you'll be good to go for quite a while on them.

I thought they were cracking down on that.

To add, I think it's fine to take classes for years and get ED visa's for years like you have. I'm sure it takes a decade of classes to get truly, comfortably fluent and conversant in a tonal language so different from one's own. But what I don't understand is how you actually got worse. Even if you just paid the school to get the visa, and didn't attend classes, you're in Thailand! You live in one big Thai language classroom!

It's a perfect combination of shy, stupid and lazy.

For what I read the MOE is not working with Immigration or with embassies and consulates 3 different organism with no communication.

your plan should be

1.- Changing your school for a good one (probably your old school is already banned, who knows??)

2.- Maybe is good time to renew your old passport

3.- Check with your new school what you really need

Some nationals are required to show fly tickets or other things depending of the embassy.

4.- Study another thing, not Thai language (is not for you), Muay Thai as a example so when the IO asks what have you learned?, you can answer with some nice kicks

5.- For the best back to Thailand by air avoid Sadao land frontier or any other frontier with problems (check in the forum)

6.- Get 20k baht in your hand, and probably more if they mess with fly tickets, bookbanks or money in another currency will not work since they will try to get some tip inside your passport (as in Sadao)

7.- Stop working illegal, back to your country, stop eating noodles in your fan room, get the Elite card and etc ...you know all those smart and constructive retiree comments LOL

8.- Be good wink.png

Lol a swift knee to the chin should stop the questions. Thanks for all the advice. I happen to have just gotten a new passport. Maybe it helps a bit, but I think they check your history on their computer anyway.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I really appreciate it.

BTW I forgot to say I'm Canadian.

Thanks Joe. Good to know. I'll probably go to KL to get it. Or maybe Loas or Cambodia.

You would not obtain an ED visa for a private school in Kuala Lumpur.