Moving To Krung Thep!

ben330

Hey All,

I am new to Thai Visa forum so this is my first post...

I am ben, im 19 and from UK living with my thai gf of 2 years!

She has been studying English here and I met her here .. We have been to Thailand 3 times together but this next visit maybe mean living there for a year or so.

What I would like to askif anyone could help me with information about work in Thailand.

I am a private pilot and hold my commerical pilots licence as of last week! But I would really love to just work in Thailand for a year or so before I continue to find an airline job ... Preferablly working in the airport ( Bkk, cmx, hkt) preferred!

Just wondering if any ex pats or thais work in the airline industry in thailand and if so any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your time

Bennn

Ben, for god's sake! Are you practically already at the Airport with a packed suitcase and now it crosses your mind "how will I earn my living in Thailand?"

Be advised: There are some 45 vocatinal "Occupations" that a foreigner is not allowed to engage in. In simple terms: Whatever a Thai-National is beeing considered "he can do that too", you will find it on the list of of what a foreigner is not allowed to engage in!

Work at the Airport? I have passed through the Airport 15 times in the last 5 years: Never seen a foreigner in a working position there. Airport jobs are highly desired and will be given to Thai-Folks that are able to support their Job-Application with a hefty contrbution to the recruiting-staff!

This, by the way, is called corruption. The Thai way of life!

So, your idea of finding a job as a pilot as a freshly certified commercial pilot are practically nil! Because Thais themselves are absolutely capable of fliying airplanes!

So, since you have planned this as only a temporary stay, it would be advisable to inform your Thai Girlfriend, that SHE will (and can) go to work in Thailand and therefore may have to support YOU during this timewise limited stay in Thailand.

This might be only fair, always supposing that you were supporting her in your home country for a certain period of time. If she lends a hand to an agreement like this, you may truly have found a "diamond among the rough".

In any case: Luck to you!

Ben, for god's sake! Are you practically already at the Airport with a packed suitcase and now it crosses your mind "how will I earn my living in Thailand?"

Be advised: There are some 45 vocatinal "Occupations" that a foreigner is not allowed to engage in. In simple terms: Whatever a Thai-National is beeing considered "he can do that too", you will find it on the list of of what a foreigner is not allowed to engage in!

Work at the Airport? I have passed through the Airport 15 times in the last 5 years: Never seen a foreigner in a working position there. Airport jobs are highly desired and will be given to Thai-Folks that are able to support their Job-Application with a hefty contrbution to the recruiting-staff!

So, your idea of finding a job as a pilot as a freshly certified commercial pilot are practically nil! Because Thais themselves are absolutely capable of fliying airplanes!

So, since you have planned this as only a temporary stay, it would be advisable to inform your Thai Girlfriend, that SHE will (and can) go to work in Thailand and therefore may have to support YOU during this timewise limited stay in Thailand.

This might be only fair, always supposing that you were supporting her in your home country for a certain period of time. If she lends a hand to an agreement like this, you may truly have found a "diamond among the rough".

I didnt say as a pilot!!

I said as ground staff. I know many Greeks and Irish,English, Americans , Germans working on the ground in BKK, HKT and a few around Malaysia, so it is possible.

thanks anyway

I would love to know what actual knowledge you based your reply on ,if any.

I would love to know what actual knowledge you based your reply on ,if any.

Really.

Note to self:

Do NOT type responses in TV at the same time as typing a work-email and keeping the baby from crying.

Do NOT type responses in TV at the same time as typing a work-email and keeping the baby from crying.

Thanks, JD . . .

Edited by Sing_Sling

Ben,

It is not easy for a farang to find a decent job in Thailand.

I'm guessing English is your mother tongue so you could always teach English...

If you really want to pursue an airline industry related job, my advice to you is to contact all the airlines and the government organization Airports of Thailand (www.airportthai.co.th).

Good luck.

Hi Ben

I don't know much about Ground Staff, but if you wanted to be a pilot then you would only be able to apply for a flying position on an international route. You can't get a work permit to fly on Thai domestic routes, however seeing as you've only just got your CPL its doubtful that you would be able to get a flying position on an international route due to your lack of experience.

I tried to apply as a Air traffic controller at the new Suvarnabhumi airport, but was told that this was also a restricted (thai national only) position so was rejected :o

Good luck!