Are you excited about the new iPhone 6?

Digitalnomade

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If iPhone 6 looks like in leaked photos / videos, well, looks okay in front but backside is too f.ugly

if Cpu is still 1.4 ghz despite the 20nm tech instead of 2ghz, they won't be able to double the performance of their cpu and it won't amaze any crowd.

I'll probably keep my oneplus (switched from iPhone 5s). Perhaps iPhone 6 XL 5.5" has a better design? (and a better battery too!)

The Nexus 6 running Android-L will be out in October. It will have a 5.2 inch screen and great specs. I think it's the one that I want although I'll look closely at the 5.5 inch iPhone 6. I like the larger size for reading the NYT, Kindle books and magazines.

I generally like Apple products, but the products shown today are kind of lame. The iPhone 6 seems like a bit faster and larger than the 5s without any new features, except one, being Apple Pay. Apple Pay certainly is something I could see becoming very popular in the US. Outside the US I have my doubts. Too many different regulations, banks and merchants to deal with.

As for the Apple Watch; seems like any other smart watch out there, albeit a bit better designed. I was hoping for something revolutionary, like what the iPhone did for phones when it first came out. It appears to be more an extra screen for your iPhone, without much hardware inside to expect a killer app only possible on such a device. And that new user interface dial on the side, I have my doubts on that one as well. A smart watch shouldn't need your free hand to control it.

Anyway stock price is up today. I guess some like it. Although history shows that Apple stock declines over a long period when the price went up during an event like this, and the opposite also being the case that when initially the stock of Apple goes down over the weeks after it rises much higher. We'll wait and see.

Yes, it is historic (for Apple) because it will be the largest phone they have ever produced in the history of the company.

Dang, I wish I was wrong and there was something historic. Bigger screen will be nice for the Apple crowd.

Now we just have to wait and see what the Nexus 6 and/or 10 will bring us.

As far as I read the news, there was no new innovations. Larger iPhone 1 labeled as iPhone 6, Smaller iPhone 1 as Apple Watch and NFC payment which has been around for quite a while.

Apple's products are good quality, but the company seems to lack all the innovation. It seems that all they do now, is improve their existing devices, which is not all bad. But then again it's not so good for the long term. The psychological effect of the customer Wow-factor is important.

I generally like Apple products, but the products shown today are kind of lame. The iPhone 6 seems like a bit faster and larger than the 5s without any new features, except one, being Apple Pay. Apple Pay certainly is something I could see becoming very popular in the US. Outside the US I have my doubts. Too many different regulations, banks and merchants to deal with.

As for the Apple Watch; seems like any other smart watch out there, albeit a bit better designed. I was hoping for something revolutionary, like what the iPhone did for phones when it first came out. It appears to be more an extra screen for your iPhone, without much hardware inside to expect a killer app only possible on such a device. And that new user interface dial on the side, I have my doubts on that one as well. A smart watch shouldn't need your free hand to control it.

Anyway stock price is up today. I guess some like it. Although history shows that Apple stock declines over a long period when the price went up during an event like this, and the opposite also being the case that when initially the stock of Apple goes down over the weeks after it rises much higher. We'll wait and see.

So I am just curious - how does one control any watch without using your free hand? I'm thinking telepathy, but that will likely not be available this year.

BTW, AAPL shares were down .38% at the close.

Well as I suspected nothing to blow my socks off. The iphone 6 looks nice, but nothing that hasn't been around in on one or another Android for years.The watch isn't my kind of thing, maybe a little more stylish than the Samsung, but it's telling that they has essentially stopped trying to sell them and give them away with phones.

With the payment system don't really see what would make it more compelling than GooglePay which they have been trying to peddle for years, without much traction. The Point Of Sale infrastructure that the retailers need to install, and remember it's limited to iphone only, is, I think a problem since that is quite a financial investment

I was sorry Tim didn't give an update on Yosemite, especially since they had previously said it would be a fall release

So I am just curious - how does one control any watch without using your free hand? I'm thinking telepathy, but that will likely not be available this year.

BTW, AAPL shares were down .38% at the close.

I can think of several ways that don't include telepathy. Ain't sharing them though until I file some patents first.

I can think of several ways that don't include telepathy. Ain't sharing them though until I file some patents first.

Telepathy is likely to be a commercial application at the end of this decade or at the start of next one. At that point we don't hopefully need to use iHat type of mesh which covers our heads, but the reading of brainwaves will be done through earpiece or google glass type of thing.

Currently there could be various ways. Some of which come to mind.

- Hand movements by the acceleration sensors

- Wrist / finger movements which can be read with the sensors under the watch

- Eye movements

- Talk commands

What else?

From what I see about the Apple Watch, it does use accelerometers to sense movement. It also uses talk commands. From the Apple site:

"Simply raise your wrist and say "Hey Siri" to call up events, get turn by turn directions, and dictate messages. I am guessing that you would also be able to speak certain commands.

Eye movements? That would require some challenging technology, such as embedding a forward facing camera to focus on your eyes and detect the movements, and a certain amount of processing power to recognise your eyes, track the movement and decide what command to process. Given current camera technology, I am not sure where you would put that on the face of a watch.

For fine movements such as scrolling up and down a list or variable zoom with graphics and maps, it just seems to me that the only alternative right now is using your fingers. Using touch gestures on such a small display obscures what you are trying to see. It seems that the Apple digital crown isn't a bad way to do that.

Or wait for digital telepathy shipping in time for Christmas 2021? I am fairly sure I would rather just use my fingers rather than wearing another device such as glasses or an earpiece.

As the question was how to control the watch without using another hand, for the finger movements I meant that the watch could track the same hand movements by reading how the skin or tendon moves.

Scrolling could be done simply by panning the watch.. or the sensors underneath the watch could read which finger on the same hand is moving.

Front camera on the watch (I'm not sure if there is one in the current setup), could be used both for video calls, but also for the control. Current digital cameras are pretty good for tracking multiple faces and eyes (and I guess some can take the picture if all the eyes visible to the photo are open). Then it's up to the software to calculate which part of the eyes white area the irises are. Should not be impossible task.

Telepathy, or better description for it would be reading the brain waves have been around for an while. Just recently a simple thought was successfully moved from one person to another. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29107894 At some point in the future we'll be able to watch movies directly beamed to our brains as well as watch the live F1 races with the eyes of F1 driver. Not forgetting the adult movies :)

Honestly, tracking tendons under the skin to control fine movements be quite a difficult task. Nobody has the same anatomy and it would require an exceedingly sensitive and accurate set of sensors. I don't think panning the watch would be very accurate for fine movements such as slowly or rapidly scrolling through a list or zooming in and out.

I for one would not want to add a camera to the face of a watch. They are too large and thick with current technology, and the design would require a larger surface to accommodate the added hardware. Frankly, I don't think most people have a problem with using their other hand for certain controls. AFAIK, I don't think Motorola, Pebble, Samsung, etc have a better solution, do they? Samsung Edge uses a tiny keyboard to control their device, and that is something I definitely don't want to use. Samsung also uses touch gestures, such as pinch and for scrolling, and when you do that you cannot see the display. Not sure I prefer that over the digital crown. And I definitely wouldn't prefer the tiny keyboard to replying to an email or SMS via voice. Samsung edge can't do that by voice. But in the end, one would probably take out their phone and use that for messaging tasks.

I was sorry Tim didn't give an update on Yosemite, especially since they had previously said it would be a fall release

I'm not an Apple person, and just read some quick blogs on the new products, but wasn't yesterdays announcement geared only towards mobile products?

I'm not an Apple person, and just read some quick blogs on the new products, but wasn't yesterdays announcement geared only towards mobile products?

Normally they give an update on all the products, but Tim stated at the beginning of the presentation; because of all the 'exciting' new products he was skipping the update.

I read into that Yosemite is delayed...maybe someone forget to set the alarm on their Apple Watch LOL