because of a record can I not relocate to thailand?

As one poster has put due to the current security at US airports I think You would make as far as ticket counter before being arrested and another charge on your sorry butt. Your best bet is stay state get your life together get a job save your money pay your taxes then after a number of years come for a visit.

Exactly. That is some very good advice and I think that means the OP should consider remaining in the USA for now. It doesn't really matter which country he would go to, Thailand, Australia, even Mexico it's all the same because leaving the country, even for a short time would be considered as a violation of probation. 2.5 years isn't that long anyway. Staying clean, not getting into trouble with the law and then maybe he'd be able to come, initially for a visit and later if he qualifies, for a longer stay. But as I stated in my other reply, I don't think it would be easy to stay long term in Thailand as a digital nomad without qualifying on some other basis, or opening a company and employing local staff.

• 3 years later...

In all honesty, read up a site like Mr.  money mustache and educate  yourself financally. 

If you cannot currently survive in California,  you'll be hung out to dry here. 

It's not as cheap as you think. 

Especially if you want a western lifestyle,  and girls and all the rest of it, and I know no expats who have gone fully native.  You'd need to read and write Thai for starters. 

Also while you are doing your probation,  look into other destinations.  

The Philippines may accept you, it's cheaper to live in terms of 'fun' things like bars and booty, but western food is about the same, and local food there is inedible  especially off a street cart,  unlike here. But you can stay for up to three years before doing a visa run, however that still costs a couple thousand USD over that time to keep renewing, their justice system (Civil NOT Criminal) and general road safety are way better though, and English is spoken almost every where you'll go. Thailand is far more developed in other respects, and basically richer. You get what you pay for,  more or less. 

• Sad 2