California to be first US state to ban plastic bags

webfact

A ban is opposed by Republicans who say it would be too much government meddling for small and medium sized businesses,...

...but Republicans LOVE government meddling for super sized businesses. They would hate for a giant corporate biz headed by one of their buddies to get hurt for being badly-run. Quick, run to congress and get several billion dollar bail-outs a.s.a.p. AIS comes to mind.

And lest we forget those other Republican stalwarts...General Motors, Chrysler, United Auto Workers, Solyndra, et al.

• Like 1

I am typing this from California. I hate nanny states. Government is to make sure that your country is not invaded, and there are police on the streets to preserve order. Anything beyond that is gratuitous. I am also a registered democrat so I would consider myself more liberal than conservative, but in living in California I realize how many stupid ideas the environmentalists have shoved down our throats and have made life more aggravating and are based upon unsubstantiated theories. This is another one of them. There are alot of laws that should be written, but wasting time outlawing plastic bags is not one of them.

Agree. I'm really astonished by the number of posters applauding the government's meddling in our lives. If the gov wanted to force big business to comply with environmental laws, bravo. Good on you. But paper or plastic? Who freakin cares.