Hundreds of supercars 'missing' - Thai customs

webfact

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is some of the cars are already in other countries and many are still here. But don't overlook the angle that some maybe broken up for parts. Look at it this way, if you have a supercar bought on the black market, where do you go for spare parts and accident replacement parts? Somchai down the auto parts shop will have zero stock! And the authorised dealers may tell you to truck off!

A few years ago, I went with a friend to retrieve a package his father had sent to him from Italy. It was a birthday present and contained five bottles of red wine. His father had gone to a vineyard in Italy and was given the five bottles free of charge as a promotion.

We were at customs for over three hours as one official after another asked my friend what was the value of the wine. He replied each time that he didn't know, the wine was a birthday present, and the father received the wine as a promotion at a local vineyard. After much discussion, my friend was informed that he would have to pay 60,000 baht in duty fees! My friend walked away and left the wine at customs. The value placed on the wine was clearly extortionate and had the desired result.

Little wonder what other revenue making activities occur.

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 1

A few years ago, I went with a friend to retrieve a package his father had sent to him from Italy. It was a birthday present and contained five bottles of red wine. His father had gone to a vineyard in Italy and was given the five bottles free of charge as a promotion.

We were at customs for over three hours as one official after another asked my friend what was the value of the wine. He replied each time that he didn't know, the wine was a birthday present, and the father received the wine as a promotion at a local vineyard. After much discussion, my friend was informed that he would have to pay 60,000 baht in duty fees! My friend walked away and left the wine at customs. The value placed on the wine was clearly extortionate and had the desired result.

Little wonder what other revenue making activities occur.

About 9 years ago my 20 ft container with stuff from home like furniture tools etc was held at customs , they could not open the lock to look inside ( dutch style mountainbike lock ) they tried with crowbars and hamers

We went to clear it with customs but forgot the key , end result , paid 20.000 and all was fine .

Guess an 'Ole Georgia/Texas" boy would suggest the Police stop and check the papers on all the Super Cars Speeding around town and highways.

Really there is no need for such cars in this country any way, too dangerous in the wrong hands !!

By the way, Where is the Red Bull Twerp that killed the policman in BKK ???

The police would need to get a Lambo cruiser to catch them.

Lamborghini-police_2533064b.jpg

or wait until:

622x350.jpg

Well, I saw one of the 500 missing cars here in Ubon Ratchathani ( Isaan ) the other day.

I remember thinking: hmmm, that actually looks like a Rolls Royce Phantom.

2 seconds later: holy sh*t, it is!

It was white with red license plates.

Well, I saw one of the 500 missing cars here in Ubon Ratchathani ( Isaan ) the other day.

Have a look what crosses the border into laos in mukdahan will make that RR look like a volvo
  • Like 2

was it pink?

I was about to say this is unbelievable BUT TIT !

Now for accountability / responsibility or maybe the lack of. What chance this will be in the headlines for a couple of days then, like so many other big cases, simply disappear from the radar ?

Welcome to the real world of money=political collusion (corruption). Thailand is a corruption kindergarten, compared to the western world. So, kindly get-off the case of my beloved Land of 1000 Smiles, whistling.gifK?

Edited by NativeSon360

Yep some of them customs agents are shady characters to say the least. I do have anything to do with them. One was my next door neighbor Guy had a 20,000.00 USD rolex. Told me was fake right , I know fake from real use to own one and sold a couple in my day.

Now there's a surprise... Saying that 200 percent tax ?? A bit steep...

Yeah and that's even less than the real number....for a super car the number is actually about 328% I have never seen a super car with less than 220horsepowers

They are often "detuned" to 219hp at the dealer... then you take it to Somchai, who connects the laptop, remaps the engine computer and bammo, back to 450hp in five minutes. The police don't carry a dynamometer with them...

Total incompetancy and stupidity by the Authorities. First 200% tax is ridiculous and second allowing removal of any goods from the warehouses for any purpose until the tax is paid. What other goods are treated this way, perhaps those fake watches aren't fake!!

• Like 1

Used to live near a low paid customs official named' mr big' he owned four condos and several hi end cars, jeeps and 4x4's Not bad for somebody on his money!

Customs is the top government department that all aspiring governement employees want to work at.

Interestingly, I recall when Taksin first took office, he replaced the head of the Customs Dept and the Revenue Department and suddenly the coffers were filled. I suppose they were later emptied but I do recall at the time we all gave him a big thumbs up for this momentous effort. The cycle renews I suppose.

As an aside to the current topic, I regularly purchase books from various o'seas countries. Most get through without any duty or fuss however, recently it has become more and more the norm. I have regularly checked with the PO in the consignor country and even had a tracking number (for what good that is), still nothing. Between Thai Customs and Thai Post Office they have a lot of explaining to do.