Hundreds of supercars 'missing' - Thai customs

webfact

Customs officials can’t account for up to 500 imported supercars which have disappeared.

Really?

This makes David Copperfield looks like an amateur.

Welcome to the Thai Customs Department punch show.

With lots of magican, clowns and fools running around.

• Like 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How in blazes can 500 'supercars' just up and disappear? Not like they are grain of rice... Oh, wait!

Presumably customs has the serial/chassis number of the cars. One would also have to assume the thieves had inside help. Good place to start an investigation, me thinks.

When i went to the customs department about importing my car into Thailand,,

this was years ago,, they gave me a pamphlet with all the rules on it and also

a tax scale,, the expensive cars had a ax rate of 300% (not 200%) i wish i still had the

pamphlet to show i wasn't making this up but i threw it away thinking it wasn't

interesting to anyone (how wrong i am)

These cars are usually stored in bonded warehouses at either Laem Chabang, Klongtoei Port or Lat Krabang Duty Free Zones. The warehouse responsible to the Customs Department for payment of taxes if the car has gone missing, end of story.

Thank you Hanuman for liking my post. Off topic I know, but do you have interest in ERA's? For example R12B?

They could check the "Supercar only" parking areas that seem to be so popular these days in shopping malls and hi-so venues.

Customs is the most corrupt part of the government IMHO. They have no shame at all and are a major impediment to legitimate businesses and trade. Seriously need the cleaners put through them.

I know for a fact of at least one crooked customs official that went very straight pretty much the instant the coup happened and the police top hierarchy was restructured to remove Thaksin's gang.

So, yes, I think they are being dealt with.

A customs broker I use in Europe can hold imported goods without me paying any duty until I remove it. It's held where it's physically in the country but technically not there tax wise.

What I don't understand is why a company would spend millions speculating on cars they don't have buyers for and have them sit for (16) years when most of those cars have none or a short wait list and the could take orders and sell when the have a buyer.

Why is imported property that is subject to tarrif duties/import taxes allowed to be stored in private warehouses instead of a government customs facilities where there would (theoretically) be assurances of adequate security and accountability? For the average person in Thailand purchasing property that is imported there is very specified handling of the property by customs to assure collection of taxes before release. Thailand needs to reform whatever deficiences there are that allowed these supercars (and no doubt similar high value properties) to disappear as quick as it writes blank checks for budget expendictures.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

10 bucks says they are already in Hong Kong.....This was only a stop over point on the way there.

I am sure if they were in HK by now Thai Customs would now be scratching their heads trying to work out how duty was refunded when it had never been paid in the first place...

These cars are usually stored in bonded warehouses at either Laem Chabang, Klongtoei Port or Lat Krabang Duty Free Zones. The warehouse responsible to the Customs Department for payment of taxes if the car has gone missing, end of story.

Then why are Thai customs looking for the cars instead of the warehouse owners?

How do you register a car without the VIN number???

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

10 bucks says they are already in Hong Kong.....This was only a stop over point on the way there.

I am sure if they were in HK by now Thai Customs would now be scratching their heads trying to work out how duty was refunded when it had never been paid in the first place...

Then why are Thai customs looking for the cars instead of the warehouse owners?

How do you register a car without the VIN number???

Exactly my point.

I have had a lot of cars in bond in Thailand over the last 15 years and moving them without correct paperwork (always insisted by the bond holder) has not been possible in my experience.

I wouldn't be surprised to find these 'missing cars' have simply been re exported and the Customs Dept's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Maybe they should check the export permits first? It might be a good place to start checking.

• Like 1

I wonder how many shiney red 2 door V10 "1972 toyota corolla's" are rolling round the soi's ?

Try Malaysia, Cambodia, Lao, China. Surely the thief did not plan an auction in Bangkok?coffee1.gif

Theres a huge market for black market cars and it's easier as you might think. I recently spoke to a second hand car dealer and he pretty much explained how the papers can be faked, the vin replaced and you are even able to insure the car.

TIT.

Sounds a bit like Liverpool then.

Wonder what was the outcome of the semiload of super cars that caught fire in Issan abt 6 m ago?

I thought there were funny papers there?

Millions of dollars worth of supercars discovered that were illegally imported.

I asked my wife about that. Case closed.

A couple small frys took the heat. Busted a mechanic and a guy that washed the cars......probably

• Like 1

Customs staff face probe over 500 'missing' cars
Thanapat Kitjakosol,
Preewadee Wichaiprasit
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Some 100 luxury cars retrieved so far; further information to be sought from importers

Two officials from the Customs Department have been moved to inactive positions pending investigation into their role in the disappearance of some 500 luxury vehicles that went missing from the customs' bonded warehouses.

Customs Department chief Somchai Sujjapongse said yesterday that some 100 cars had been retrieved so far and that the authorities would seek information from importers to help find the other missing cars.

These vehicles were stored along with other dutiable goods at the warehouses - which comprise state-owned facilities and private operators' storage spaces - pending tax payments. Imported goods can be stored at customs warehouses for up to a year, while importers can temporarily remove these goods by placing a deposit and providing a sound reason for the removal, such as modification, maintenance or presentation to customers.

Many of the missing vehicles were reportedly taken out in such a manner, but not returned. Some had also reportedly gone missing while being taken to the warehouse, an informed source said. The importers of luxury cars were mostly independent car deals, though some were also rich and influential individuals.

Somchai said his office would install a radio frequency identification (RFID) system in imported cars this year to stop them being stolen while being transported from the port to the warehouse.

But the source said luxury cars would continue to disappear from warehouses because some business owners had good relations with officials who take bribes and let the cars out so they can be displayed at showrooms.

Also, many operators get cars released for "modification" or maintenance, but actually just sell them to customers, the source said, adding that this was because they did not want to pay tax.

Warehouse officials eyed

Surachart Janthavatcharagorn, head of the Tax Incentives Bureau which is in charge of bonded warehouses, said these facilities had clear guidelines to follow when goods were brought in or taken out and were required to report to the Customs Department on any movement of goods and their whereabouts.

So warehouse owners would be held responsible for the missing vehicles, he said.

Separately, in another press conference yesterday, Somchai lauded the Customs Department's work this year on cracking down on goods smuggled into the country, pirated products and falsely declared items worth a total of Bt120 million.

These goods, apparently seized at Laem Chabang port in Chon Buri, included 28 boxes of used parts to assemble 69 "super-bikes" worth Bt40 million falsely declared as something else. The motorcycles were allegedly set to be exported to Hong Kong.

Customs officials also seized 11 containers of lead-contaminated metal dust, which was declared as silicon dust, and 1,000 boxes of electronic waste, which was declared as metal sheets.

Some 342 people have been arrested for tax evasion by port officials at Laem Chabang this year and collected a total of Bt106.41 million in tax and fees.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Customs-staff-face-probe-over-500-missing-cars-30242641.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-06

The 200% tax is absurd. How stupid of them. If they'd lower it significantly they'd actually make more money in duty tax because there'd be many more cars to tax. This is a basic principle of business when many ... here in Thailand and throughout the world ... fail to understand.

Unless the tax is to force you to buy locally made cars..,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It is for that plus it's a way to get car manufacturers to build factories here. A reasonable idea to help bring jobs but something that should have been gradually phased out as the industry became more established. Of course the easier option is just to keep on doing it. Maybe the WTO should investigate.

They'll probably find a couple of guys to blame for it and then help all the unfortunate rich people who bought the card who had no idea they were getting them without paying the right tax.

I think that's what happened last time.

WORTH Every Satang

1 - keeps the traffic jams lighter

2 - adds to resale price

3 - status symbol that people can easily recognize

4 - the rest of us drive 2500 cc or less, so we are easy to pass

5 - Fastest way out of here

6 - still drive like you are on the old honda dream. No matter how rich you are.

7 - police would never pull you over. FEAR of promotions lost

Not enough time to list the benefits today

As for customs, every time I have to deal with them the extortion is blatant.

? ? ?

8 - murder with impunity.

• Like 1

Many silly things related to this. Having too high import tax and duty, having slack system and process, no control and superstition, missing tracking of data and items and to have related crimes taken care according to the law and regulation, being really prosecuted and not only moved to an inactive post. The fine and prosecution is still according to 1950's time, when a fine of 20.000THB was a huge amount!

• Like 1