The new Thai teaching License requirement

FangFerang

Very murky information. I just began my second year on my non-imm B, have a BA and MA. I ws here for two years, then taught elsewhere at an international school, and came back.

What is the new teaching license requirement?

Even the school I work for seems a bit baffled.

For your teacher's licence, you're usually given either a provisional or temporary teaching licence (often referred to as waivers), which lasts for 2 years (Although is tied to the school you're working at).

Krusapa/TCT will usually give you 2x waivers, no questions asked (provided you have a bachelor degree from an accredited university).

When you need to apply for a 3rd waiver, they will want to see that you've been making progress towards your full teaching licence. Also apparently if you're still at the same school as your 2nd waiver, they'll give you a 3rd waiver.

For your full teaching licence, you need to have completed a Thai Culture Course (This is usually what people show in order to get their 3rd waiver). There are also exams which teachers who don't have a BEdu need to sit (Although these haven't been held for 18+ months, and as far as I know, there also aren't any dates set for when they'll be held next).

I assume that this is the situation in which you find yourself, whereby you used your first waiver at your school, then 2nd at the international school, and now need a 3rd waiver. However I assume you haven't completed the Thai culture course or sat any of the exams? If you did, it should be in their system, or you should have some form of certificates which you can show them when applying for a 3rd waiver.
  • Like 2

FYI ~ A.S.E.A.N. is just around the corner, and spear-headed by the Sino-Singaporeans. Those western (NES) teachers of Thailand (who do live in reality), will quickly get the drift, of things to come. Prepare to pack-up, and be homeward bound. The western school teacher party, is rapidly coming to and end, in East - SE Asia.coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

FYI ~ A.S.E.A.N. is just around the corner, and spear-headed by the Sino-Singaporeans. Those western (NES) teachers of Thailand (who do live in reality), will quickly get the drift, of things to come. Prepare to pack-up, and be homeward bound. The western school teacher party, is rapidly coming to and end, in East - SE Asia.coffee1.gif

Any further explanation to this post????

Just an attempt to whip up some hysteria. Given the propensity of Thais, not to mention other ASEAN members, to bend or ignore rules altogether, I'd say neither present teachers nor their immediate descendants need worry in the slightest.

• Like 2

and you blokes call Thai people stupid! Hey, Dream Lover! Again, in PLAIN English. Just like the gradual vanishing of the former British Colonies of East & SE Asia, Singaporeans are now, officially classified as being the only NES, member nation people of A.S.E.A.N. The Western Expat School Teacher's party, is soon to become history, in Thailand. CAPICHE? whistling.gif Now, if you a further explanation than this, then ask a 5 year-old Thai Kindergarten student, to explain it to you, wai2.gifK? .

and you blokes call Thai people stupid! Hey, Dream Lover! Again, in PLAIN English. Just like the gradual vanishing of the former British Colonies of East & SE Asia, Singaporeans are now, officially classified as being the only NES, member nation people of A.S.E.A.N. The Western Expat School Teacher's party, is soon to become history, in Thailand. CAPICHE? whistling.gif Now, if you a further explanation than this, then ask a 5 year-old Thai Kindergarten student, to explain it to you, wai2.gifK? .

So you believe that Singaporean teachers are going to SUDDENLY flood the job market in Thailand! Is that what you think?

English is an official language in Singapore, same as the Philippines IT IS NOT the de-facto language hence Singaporeans are NOT NES.

Eugh. troll thee not. The party will still be raging. In fact, it'll get into full swing once the gulf in language starts affecting investment.

Edited by inutil

For the teacher's licence, the requirements are:

1. Graduate Diploma in Teaching or higher (BEd, MEd, PGCE etc), teacher's licence from abroad or to have passed the TCT professional knowledge tests.

2. To have passed the 20 hour Thai Language, Culture & Ethics course.

3. A letter stating 1 years' teaching experience in a K-12 school either abroad or in Thailand.

My application is in the system ATM but they won't accept my proof of 1 years' teaching experience. I was given a letter of recommendation by the Head of Foreign Staff at my last school but they want a letter signed by the Director, with the official school stamp. Also the duration of employment has to be 365 days or longer, not 1 academic year for example; I think I got a 'jobsworth'. bah.gif

EDIT: I was also told that it isn't possible to combine experience from different schools, so this maybe a problem for those on a succession of 6, 10 or 11 month contracts.

According to the reps at the TCT (counter 8, building 1) there will be an announcement this month on changes to the requirements. The planned changes are:

1. The Grad DipT requirement will be upped to an Education Degree.

2. The Culture Course will increase to 40 hours duration (likely to 5 or 6 days long, costing 10k) with all previous 20 hour courses expiring (including the one I've just taken).

For the waiver, the TCT are asking for proof of enrolment onto an education degree (PGCEi or similar) for 3rd & 4th waivers if not at the same school.

Edited by GanDoonToonPet
  • Like 1

For the teacher's licence, the requirements are:

1. Graduate Diploma in Teaching or higher (BEd, MEd, PGCE etc), teacher's licence from abroad or to have passed the TCT professional knowledge tests.

2. To have passed the 20 hour Thai Language, Culture & Ethics course.

3. A letter stating 1 years' teaching experience in a K-12 school either abroad or in Thailand.

My application is in the system ATM but they won't accept my proof of 1 years' teaching experience. I was given a letter of recommendation by the Head of Foreign Staff at my last school but they want a letter signed by the Director, with the official school stamp. Also the duration of employment has to be 365 days or longer, not 1 academic year for example; I think I got a 'jobsworth'. bah.gif

According to the reps at the TCT (counter 8, building 1) there will be an announcement this month on changes to the requirements. The planned changes are:

1. The Grad DipT requirement will be upped to an Education Degree.

2. The Culture Course will increase to 40 hours duration (likely to 5 or 6 days long, costing 10k) with all previous 20 hour courses expiring (including the one I've just taken).

For the waiver, the TCT are asking for proof of enrolment onto an education degree (PGCEi or similar) for 3rd & 4th waivers if not at the same school.

Nice post, GDTP. Especially at this time of the day. How much alcohol today?

• Like 1

Informative post GanDoon,

But alas, due to initial lack of knowledge and the suspension of the culture course and now tests I don't have 1, 2 or 3 and I'm on my third waiver (now looking for job). Can I get on to the Thai culture course without being in employment at the moment?

So, what if I don't have the thousands of £ for a PGCEi?

I do have a CELTA and 2 years teaching experience, but no headed and signed letter from the school(s).

Does Thailand want teachers or not? I've seen job ads offering the princely sum of 45,000 bhat for PGCE - ha ha ha, They think people gonna pay thousands for pgce and work for that?

Looks like I'm gonna struggle to work in Thailand then, shame as I thought I was a half decent teacher and I'm engaged to a Thai.

Perhaps I can work in the surrounding ASEAN countries for more money...or get an 'O' visa!

BTW, I couldn't do the culture course before cos it wasn't running until I left. Now they've suspended the proff knowledge tests?

Will there be a new set of tests or course people can do instead of the tests?

So, how pray tell do I become a 'legal' EFL teacher in Thailand without the money to enrol on a PGCEi?

Any constructive comments and help appreciated. Cheers, Jim

But alas, due to initial lack of knowledge and the suspension of the culture course and now tests I don't have 1, 2 or 3 and I'm on my third waiver (now looking for job). Can I get on to the Thai culture course without being in employment at the moment?

I do have a CELTA and 2 years teaching experience, but no headed and signed letter from the school(s).

Does Thailand want teachers or not? I've seen job ads offering the princely sum of 45,000 bhat for PGCE - ha ha ha, They think people gonna pay thousands for pgce and work for that?

Looks like I'm gonna struggle to work in Thailand then, shame as I thought I was a half decent teacher and I'm engaged to a Thai.

Perhaps I can work in the surrounding ASEAN countries for more money...or get an 'O' visa!

BTW, I couldn't do the culture course before cos it wasn't running until I left. Now they've suspended the proff knowledge tests?

So, how pray tell do I become a 'legal' EFL teacher in Thailand without the money to enrol on a PGCEi?

You can apply for a Non-O in Sawannakhet/Laos once you're married.( Without showing financial proof) There're quite a few guys working as "trainers", or "teacher's assistants, which isn't really fully legal.

There's also a thread about a university from the Philippines, accredited by the TCT, doing online courses ( BA in education), that are affordable.

I personally do not believe that my culture certificate, done in 2008 becomes invalid, as somebody wrote.

But please be aware that you could even have a valid work permit, but the Immigration could deny a visa,as they're aware what's going on.

That again, differs from province to province. Good luck.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

As LostinIsaan said:

Get married

Goto Savannakhet and get a multiple Entry O visa

Get your school to obtain a work permit from the DoL

However, you'd then want to try and save up some money, as I don't know how long Savannakhet can continue issuing multiple entry visas without proof of funds/income.

Likewise, start working towards getting a full teachers license, as the DoL might tighten up on what they'll issue work permits for in the future.

The changes to the Teacher's License which were mentioned earlier in this thread aren't confirmed (This thread is the first time I've seen them mentioned), so take them with a grain of salt (I think that they're too extreme and unlikely to be implemented, but you never know with TCT).

• Like 2

According to the TCT there are no more culture courses planned for this year & the tests will not return. I've had the same trouble as you in trying to take the course since 2011. Now I've done it, I might have to take it again!

BTW the PGCEi costs around 170k. It used to be 150k until the exchange rate 'improved'.

As others have said, you can get an 'O' visa but you'll be limited to lower end Bangkok schools or schools outside of Bangkok.

I would wait for the announcement this month. Thai bureaucracy are famous for planning to implement a policy, unofficially implementing it, then never officially implementing it at all. Some reports indicate that the degree requirement may be dropped altogether.

Edited by GanDoonToonPet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Troll....According to the Thai government Singaporeans are NOT NES !! They still need a TOEIC score. I don't see many f them coming here for a 30K a month, do you?

• Like 1

Currently having a BA/BS will keep you legally working for 4 to 6 years (with Teacher License Waivers from the TCT). After that you are supposed to have a BEd, MEd or a current License from your home country.

Does the Education degree need to be from overseas?

I know people taking the 1 year online PGCEi from Nottingham. No classroom observation.

I know someone thinking about a M. Ed. from Assumption University.

This is a 2 year Thai university for a M. Ed. with classroom observation

Would successful enrollment here get a 3rd waiver?

Is a 2 year M. Ed. from Thailand (Abac) better or worse than an online Certificate of post graduate certificate of Education from Nottingham?

I would assume that a Thai teachers license / BEdu / GradDip etc would be just as valid as one from overseas.

As generally the same standards are applied to foreign teachers as Thai teachers (Although they'll accept test scores or NES passport instead of requiring a tertiary qualification and foreigners require a Thai culture course).

The only other real difference between foreigners wanting to teach and Thai teachers, is that immigration /DoL also require us to have WP + valid visa. Without which, many can't legally work at all or even stay in the country, let alone teach lol.

As a result, the consequences of teaching without a valid teacher's license are more of a "requirement" for foreign teachers than Thai citizens lol.

At my old school were are a few Thai teachers (on annual contracts) I know who don't have teaching licenses, and haven't been able to complete their licensing process because of the exams being suspended. They were also concerned about their contracts not being renewed (Although I think the school renewed then anyway, not sure if that's due to a 2nd/3rd waiver being granted or because they simply understand the situation).

• Like 1

I would assume that a Thai teachers license / BEdu / GradDip etc would be just as valid as one from overseas.

As generally the same standards are applied to foreign teachers as Thai teachers (Although they'll accept test scores or NES passport instead of requiring a tertiary qualification and foreigners require a Thai culture course).

The only other real difference between foreigners wanting to teach and Thai teachers, is that immigration /DoL also require us to have WP + valid visa. Without which, many can't legally work at all or even stay in the country, let alone teach lol.

As a result, the consequences of teaching without a valid teacher's license are more of a "requirement" for foreign teachers than Thai citizens lol.

At my old school were are a few Thai teachers (on annual contracts) I know who don't have teaching licenses, and haven't been able to complete their licensing process because of the exams being suspended. They were also concerned about their contracts not being renewed (Although I think the school renewed then anyway, not sure if that's due to a 2nd/3rd waiver being granted or because they simply understand the situation).

I know one, who's the Thai coordinator for foreign teachers at a well -known school, near the Shun Heng Plaza in Sisaket,

She tried four times to pass the exam, without being successful..... Nope. She might make it in ten years, or so.Or both.-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I once saw statistics posted on percent passing each test.

One test most people passed.

The other test had between a 3-10% pass rate with the highest score barely passing.

It was suggested in taking the test try to imagine the thinking of someone's ideas over 60 years old that hasn't taught in over 30 years.

• Like 1