What have you learned in Thailand? What is still surprising you?

303player

Thanks for all these, experienced many of them...

A friend told me something very nice the other day. He said in England (where he's from), people listen to what you say and evaluate it intellectually. In Thailand, he felt it's more important how you say something, and people evaluate you emotionally.

I don't know if that's it for sure. But when it comes to emotional issues, I absolutely feel like Thai people are scanning what I say for the true meaning, and often misinterpret me. Straight talk doesn't hold a lot of weight here and is often overanalyzed.

• Like 1

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I find to be very interesting about living here- and is probably true about living abroad anywhere- is how when you first arrive in Thailand you largely see everyone as Thai. And that's it. You don't see them as rich or poor, low class or hi-so. Also, you largely notice the people that are friendly and kind to you and don't care or give a thought to the others that much. But over time, as you get to know the nuances of the nation and interact with people outside your initial comfort zone, you start to see where people come from or where they're at in life. You see what kind of people they are within their own society. At the same time, you start to see the way people view you: as a big unknown. You think about the foreigners you might've known in your own country and realize you never really knew who they were.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently spoke Chinese (which I am learning as a hobby) with a Thai person who also learns the language. There was no other way to communicate - my Thai is rather poor and the other guy did not speak English. It was the first time I felt I really connected and learned something personal about the life of the locals. The conversation was about the social status of his family, why he was working abroad, how he feels people accept him in China as a Thai person, etc. Very interesting. When you speak in a foreign language, the barriers seem to come down.

• Like 1

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Been here a long time, so little surprises me personally with respect to Thailand itself. What does surprise me is the tourists and new expats that fall for the same cons time and time again - with the internet brimming with stories for years, and sites like this one continually reporting people being scammed. Even world press/media broadcasting the big cons like Jet Skis etc - yet they still thrive.

Though, having said that, peoples till fall for the Nigerian Princess type scams the world over - some people are just too naïve and gullible (and should probably stay home).

Sorry, OP, but everything seems normal to me.

No, surprising / striking / silly thing has happened to me since I've been here.

But yes, before coming here I was expecting to make more acquaintances with Thai girls.......but got married.........very silly of me.

Hey Costas.... your lovely wife ever read your posts ? just wondering :-)

Sorry, OP, but everything seems normal to me.

No, surprising / striking / silly thing has happened to me since I've been here.

But yes, before coming here I was expecting to make more acquaintances with Thai girls.......but got married.........very silly of me.

Hey Costas.... your lovely wife ever read your posts ? just wondering :-)

Don't know........but she keeps slapping me on the head after she's been on her computerw00t.gif

Post removed

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

That are no limits to the extremes that Thais will go to extort money... I will keep it simple and civil..

So Thailand is the only country that extorts money is it? You obviously haven't lived in the UK.

I think he meant it on an individual basis.

Yes, I think your right.

After 8 years living and working around asia (Thailand included), it has just made me appreciate the UK more and more. It is not perfect and can be as frustrating at times, in different ways, but on the whole we've got it good. And I'm thankful to be going back to live in london in my own bought home permenantly before I'm 30, with my Indonesian wife in toe.

Well, bully for you !

Why BG's think that i shit AUD $$$ like no tomorrow! After all our high TAXES (just so we can eat) its sometimes difficult to visit LOS at least twice a year if i'm lucky!

Some girls think ''No problem for you, you have plenty money!''..........seriously i don't! ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

Might I suggest you only ever holiday here. Somehow I don't think you could make it as a permanent expat.

most thai workers are lazy? lol. let me know when youre planting and cutting rice pal, I'm eager to watch how a real farang he-man worker does it!

thai laziness ? farang legend again ; try to clean an eucalyptus field with Thai people used to do it : after 15 minutes the farang is exhausted and Thai people work hours and hours ( as you can guess, the exhausted farang was me , used to work with computers ) ; Burmese are even better, I have heard

That if you post anything negative about Thailand or Thais on this forum you will be asked to "go home to your own country" by one or more other posters. So by their logic you have to agree with & love everything about this country and it's native population - or at least never talk about anything negative about it & them or "go home and don't let the door hit you one the ass" or whatever.

I still don't understand how these posters think, even after 12 years in Thailand and 10 years on this forum. Could they feel threatened somehow? I don't know.

12 years in LOS & 10 years on this forum & your handle is Newbie with 9 posts..... Now that surprises me.

I thought Thailand was a third-world country which had great potential to become something much better.

My big surprise has been to learn it is going absolutely nowhere. Corruption and greed destroy anything good before it has chance to take root.

This is a good thing.................lol.

We surely dont want thai to morph into singapore.

Still amazed at how bad some looking bargirls are- and they get gentlemen callers...........................lol.

Are you an expert then? Good on ya for not being embarrassed to admit it to all here on Thai Visa. I think I saw you last week with your two friends.

post-187908-0-26185600-1414204179_thumb.

That someone giggling with mirth when you injure yourself isn't rude.

That lying is expected and only fools think honesty has some special virtue.

That my safety or even life is not worth 15 seconds of time to the average Thai male driver.

That Thailand is a drain grate where the most sexist humans on earth gravitate like slimy hairballs and then propagate offspring to this attitude.

Where free speech is a criminal offense.

Now for the bad stuff....

Fascinating post, makes me want to continue on this thread.

Question: What you are saying here:

That lying is expected and only fools think honesty has some special virtue.

One should relinquish ones' values principles morals and ethics because everyone else does it?

Otherwise you are a fool? Don't get me wrong, you may be right, the jury is not yet out.

Made me think of this meme, not easy stuff.

post-86831-0-52238200-1414238160_thumb.j

Still amazed at how bad some looking bargirls are- and they get gentlemen callers...........................lol.

Some guys are looking for more than sex and they want some one in their own league or closer to it. Not so hard to understand and quite nice if u think about it.

That if you post anything negative about Thailand or Thais on this forum you will be asked to "go home to your own country" by one or more other posters. So by their logic you have to agree with & love everything about this country and it's native population - or at least never talk about anything negative about it & them or "go home and don't let the door hit you one the ass" or whatever.

I still don't understand how these posters think, even after 12 years in Thailand and 10 years on this forum. Could they feel threatened somehow? I don't know.

12 years in LOS & 10 years on this forum & your handle is Newbie with 9 posts..... Now that surprises me.

Greydog is not my first handle on ThaiVisa.