What have you learned in Thailand? What is still surprising you?

303player

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all these, experienced many of them...

A friend told me something very nice the other day. He said in England (where he's from), people listen to what you say and evaluate it intellectually. In Thailand, he felt it's more important how you say something, and people evaluate you emotionally.

Yes, it's mostly 'mai phen rai' to the content of what, as a Farang, you say, that's if it's really understood at all which is why long term 'relationships' are so thwart with difficulty if you're the sort of person who needs to communicate to any great extent with their partner, Oh! sorry, that's IMHO & naturally excepting those through their own strength of character, deep understanding and acceptance of the Thai psyche, irresistible charm, sexual prowess, patience and luck have wound up with a mutually, deeply satisfying & fulfilling Farang/Thai 'relationship'.

• Like 2

A friend told me something very nice the other day. He said in England (where he's from), people listen to what you say and evaluate it intellectually. In Thailand, he felt it's more important how you say something, and people evaluate you emotionally.

Yes, it's mostly 'mai phen rai' to the content of what, as a Farang, you say, that's if it's really understood at all which is why long term 'relationships' are so thwart with difficulty if you're the sort of person who needs to communicate to any great extent with their partner, Oh! sorry, that's IMHO & naturally excepting those through their own strength of character, deep understanding and acceptance of the Thai psyche, irresistible charm, sexual prowess, patience and luck have wound up with a mutually, deeply satisfying & fulfilling Farang/Thai 'relationship'.

many many have. pity you couldnt.

• Like 1

What still surprises me is being stopped on the street and being asked what race am I or listening to a debate that kicks in after I walk into a 7/11 about me being half Thai or not.

Also I suspect my cousin stole my sun glasses and he also started wearing my shoes.

Having a 15 year old friend of my cousin hold my hand to cross the road. Not a particularly big or busy road either.

Edited by Ws93
  • Like 1

Thailand is great! Just when you think you are getting a handle on it some little thing comes up to put a smile on your face.

This afternoon on a flight from Phitsanulok to Bkk I (and the rest of the passengers) was introduced to two charming Thai birds, Nok On and Nok Off.

I had to ask them "Seriously?" as I was getting off the plane. I was still smiling until I got to the taxi queue.............................sad.png

BTW, it is true with the nicknames.

My ex gf had 2 friends living in holland with the names......Jaa and Nee.....meaning in english...yes and no.

I'm still surprised how few middle aged Thai men I see with female partners in public. The Thai couples I do see are either young students or 20's, some hi-so types.

but all these dudes you see on the street standing everywhere are never with ladies. if you goto Thai venues the males group and drink together. where are all the normal couples and families like you see in western countries?

not something i cared about or noticed at first but seems strange as time moved on.

I'm still surprised how few middle aged Thai men I see with female partners in public. The Thai couples I do see are either young students or 20's, some hi-so types.

but all these dudes you see on the street standing everywhere are never with ladies. if you goto Thai venues the males group and drink together. where are all the normal couples and families like you see in western countries?

not something i cared about or noticed at first but seems strange as time moved on.

I eat a lot at Fuji and MK and both places are packed with middle aged Thai couples. I shop at the mall almost every weekend and the mall is packed with middle aged Thai couples.

What I have lean about thailand I am very luck to be born in a luck country like Australia and just to day I was saying to my thai gf if it were not for you I would never ever live here in thailand and I don't , I come and go to thailand not sure if I could live here full time but let's face it not sure but most of the western man that live here are here because of there thai .

What I have lean about thailand I am very luck to be born in a luck country like Australia and just to day I was saying to my thai gf if it were not for you I would never ever live here in thailand and I don't , I come and go to thailand not sure if I could live here full time but let's face it not sure but most of the western man that live here are here because of there thai .

What language are you speaking?

• Like 2

Read it dick brain and you will understand you would be one to put all your money in to a thai

You wrote, "but let's face it not sure but most of the western man that live here are here because of there thai" And. "you would be one to put all your money in to a thai"

Honest I don't know what either of those phrases means. The first I think has something to do speaking Thai and the second maybe an investment. But I really don't know.

I don' know what a dick brain is either.

Edited by thailiketoo

a few cans short of a six pack. time to go back to grammer school you dull <deleted>.

a few cans short of a six pack. time to go back to grammer school you dull <deleted>.

Grammar (not grammer) school. :facepalm:

post-91253-0-72841800-1414689236_thumb.j

• Like 1

Will I cant help you, to meany of you on this forum talk to much sh?it and I come on here for a laugh

George, you really are a naughty little boy. You were told several times recently to use the punctuation keys & to try & make some sense of what you write. If you continue to class yourself as an Australian, please don't... you are not an Aussie.

Even the most uneducated outback Aussie yokel could string a few words together better than you. You are an embarrassment to whatever nationality you might be.

To all my friends out there, if I have any, & all others, please don't think this Ratbag is a representative of a true Aussie.

Now little George, put on your dunce's cap & go stand in the corner. Corner, you know, where two walls meet usually at a 90' angle.

But, I do hope you have a happy day.

Mal.

• Like 1

Will I cant help you, to meany of you on this forum talk to much sh?it and I come on here for a laugh

Sorry, if you were born in Australia accept my apologies.

thailiketoo, mate, no need to apologize. This Ratbag is not an Aussie & was definitely not educated / schooled there. I was one of the "slower" ones all through my school days, not the sharpest knife in the draw. So, I speak from experience, I could have done better in 2nd grade than he does now. He maybe a naturalized Aussie now, but that's all he can claim.

You not too fond of Aussies ???

Cheers..... Mal.

thailiketoo, mate, no need to apologize. This Ratbag is not an Aussie & was definitely not educated / schooled there. I was one of the "slower" ones all through my school days, not the sharpest knife in the draw. So, I speak from experience, I could have done better in 2nd grade than he does now. He maybe a naturalized Aussie now, but that's all he can claim.

Cheers..... Mal.

I like Aussies. It occurred to me after I posted he might have a handicap and I didn't want to bash a handicapped person hence the apology.

Cheers..... Mal.

I like Aussies. It occurred to me after I posted he might have a handicap and I didn't want to bash a handicapped person hence the apology.

Just read this tread, some interesting posts and not so interesting replies. You must find it very hard living in Thailand, hang on you are not in Thailand so it should read living

many many have. pity you couldnt.
I agree, many many, happy at the level of communication your post exhibits.

Just read this tread, some interesting posts and not so interesting replies. You must find it very hard living in Thailand, hang on you are not in Thailand so it should read living

I have lived in Thailand for a long time. What is your point?

I have learned that not all women are unfeminine women's libbers like back home.

I don't think a woman who wants to be treated and paid equally is unfeminine. I find woman who are equal to their male counterparts are more interesting to be around.

I don't think a woman who wants to be treated and paid equally is unfeminine. I find woman who are equal to their male counterparts are more interesting to be around.

Especially in Thailand?

post-187908-0-57517300-1414835000_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo

I did not know the average IQ is 91.

This means for all those I've met with an IQ of 101, there is someone driving a vehicle, on the same road as me, in the oncoming lane, with an IQ of 81.

The average IQ is 91 of many of the farongs.

Unbelievable how so many people can be so stupid to travel to a foreign culture and say it is all wrong yet they do and continue to live in it. Those who believe that about the country and have an IQ over 91 leave it.clap2.gifgiggle.gif