Driving to Hua Hin from Pattaya

vision2014

Hi. My apologies if this topic is already been discussed (i could not find it). I would like to drive to Hua Hin and would appreciate advice information from people with experience. Are the roads in good condition and are the road signs well marked ? Approximately how long does the drive take ? Many thanks !

You can follow the motorway to Bangkok and keep following the Dao Khanong directions and eventually you get straight onto a good highway all the way. I figure about 6 hours given 2 to Bangkok, one to get through any Bangkok traffic on the expressways and another 3 to HuaHin. Depends on your speed, of course and the traffic but 6 hours should be enough. You may not find signs to HuaHin until well after Bangkok though.

• Like 1

^ +1

Here is the route I take in Google Maps : http://goo.gl/maps/RjzAx

And you can do the whole route via Street View there.

Edit: 1 Added Ps.

Ps: If you plan on driving a lot in Thailand, I would recommend buying a Garmin GPS with the ESRI/NOSTRA map on it.

For example: http://www.gpssociety.com/EN/Pages/productdetailfeature.aspx?SiteName=EN&Category=PND&ID=22

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Yes I agree regarding Garmin GPS.

Been twice to Bangkok in my truck and without GPS we would have been lost and would probably still been riding around in there, he-he.

Mobile phone GPS is another option but I prefer Garmin, you can buy them from app 4000 baht and up.

I drove from Pattaya to Hua Hin a few days ago and it took 4 1/2 hours with a stop for fuel and a comfort break. The slowest part will be the southern ring road (toll) which goes over the bridge as traffic generally heavy and ques at toll booths can be a bit long. The drive north from Pattaya is not bad and south to Hua Hin also moves at a good rate. Roads are not great but similar to other roads like highway 36 in the Pattaya area. Can be bumpy with some poor repairs and a truck or SUV vehicle is a better ride than a small car.

I have a Garmin GPS with the NOSTRA maps and it works well.

Street View is wonderful.

Whenever I get the urge to drive somewhere I look it up on Street View first and often see that it's just another sh*thole that I dont want to go to at all. The places that do actually look nice on Street View do get my visit.

I have a Garmin GPS with the NOSTRA maps and it works well.

Mine has always done well enough but on a recent trip to Bangkok it insisted on sending me in completely the wrong direction, for about 10km. And I mean completely the wrong direction. No matter what I did it kept telling to me turn round or make multiple left turns and took me further and further into Bangkok which I was trying to leave. In the end I had to restart the thing completely and pick another destination much nearer (the airport) which I knew was where I needed to be to get on the motorway.

It also has an annoying habit of saying "keep right" when it means "bear right".

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I went to Tukhom today to buy a Garmin GPS. The Nuvi 42 model was not available and the salesman (I think Russian) offered to sell me a Nuvi 52 for 8800THB. This was his lowest priced Garmin GPS. It sounded a bit expensive and perhaps I can get advice from someone on ThaiVisa. Thank you

I went to Tukhom today to buy a Garmin GPS. The Nuvi 42 model was not available and the salesman (I think Russian) offered to sell me a Nuvi 52 for 8800THB.

Forget TukCom. With just one or two exceptions (JIB) it's basically a den of thieves, all selling the same overpriced fake rubbish.

The big supermarkets have official Garmin products, as do Powerbuy and Numchai, and prices there are probably less than you would pay in TukCom.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I went to Tukhom today to buy a Garmin GPS. The Nuvi 42 model was not available and the salesman (I think Russian) offered to sell me a Nuvi 52 for 8800THB. This was his lowest priced Garmin GPS. It sounded a bit expensive and perhaps I can get advice from someone on ThaiVisa. Thank you

I would suggest to check the models and prices in the S-ED bookshops as well. They normally carry 3 or 4 types and often have offers on. There is actually one on the ground floor of the Tukcom building - and pretty much every mall. For example check Tesco Lotus and compare to S-ED in the same building.

BTW

Anyone know what the roads are like along the coast, from Samut Songkhram going south?

Is it worth a look, no rush just cruising?

thanks

The buses used to go this way down to Cha am until Petchkasem was improved. Takes a little longer and scenery nothing special but more relaxing.

^ +1

Ps: If you plan on driving a lot in Thailand, I would recommend buying a Garmin GPS with the ESRI/NOSTRA map on it.

For example: http://www.gpssociety.com/EN/Pages/productdetailfeature.aspx?SiteName=EN&Category=PND&ID=22

I must be old fashioned but wouldn't a paper map be easier and chaeper.

• Like 1

If you have some else to navigate then maybe a map is indeed a cheaper alternative but expressways get added/changed and old maps cannot keep up. A GPS unit with an up to date map can keep you hands free plus give audio directions. I have found one to be a boon personally.

• Like 1

^ +1

And more accurate and no annoying voice.....unless of course wifey is co driver

^ +1

And more accurate and no annoying voice.....unless of course wifey is co driver

Fortunately you can turn off the Voice guidance in a GPS, but not your wifey ;)

• Like 2

Pattaya to Hua Hin should be about 4 till 4.5 hours, 6 hours is a bit too long.

This route is the quickest one as PP described :

Head to BKK exit sign for Bang Na. Then follow for Rama 2. Exit at Petchkasem. Toll = 105 Baht. Time 4-5 hours

Further more, I have purchased a Garmin GPS for 12.9k at Powerbuy, did check some prices before but it had some extra features though. No need for it now anymore as I changed cars :-)

Google maps is free , no need to pay extra for an app.

Well... I dont mind paying a few baht for an app that offer some additional features. In my oppenion, you cNt really compare Google Maos with garmins app

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Everyone has given you great advice here.....I've driven the Pattaya to Phetchabun route many times & the only advice i'll give you is to ''leave early'' so you don't encountor the heavy traffic along the motor way.

I mean early around 4am....you'll save yourself heaps of time & heartache!