Graft fight a 'national priority'

Lite Beer

NATIONAL REFORM
Graft fight a 'national priority'
The Sunday Nation

30242700-02_big.jpg

Participants of the event take part in a group photo

BANGKOK: -- Prayuth reaffirms his commitment to tackling issue that has 'divided' Thais

Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha has promised that his government regards the fight against corruption as a national agenda assignment and a key element of national reform.

Speaking yesterday, he said that corruption would be among the first reform issues to be tackled, adding that the problem had been accumulating for a long time in Thailand and was causing severe damage to the country's economy and reputation.

Prayuth blamed the deep-rooted problem for the social division and political conflict which led to fatal street protests and other violent acts over the past decade.

"The worsening corruption problem has led to political unrest, a division between people in the country, social inequality, and a bad image of Thailand in the eyes of foreigners," he said.

"The government and the National Council for Peace and Order treats as a top priority the fight against corruption. This problem must be tackled urgently and there must be concrete results. If we allow the problem to continue, there will be more damage to the country in many ways."

He also warned that younger people would copy the wrong values about corruption if they discovered that many corrupt officials and politicians could get away with it.

Prayuth, who also heads the NCPO, spoke while presiding over the launch of Anti-Corruption Day, which was held for the fourth consecutive year by the Anti-Corruption Organisation of Thailand (ACT).

This year's event, with the theme "Hand in Hand - Reform the Fight for Sustainable Victory", was held at the Centara Grand Hotel.

ACT chairman Pramon Sutivong expressed his optimism over the fight against corruption, pointing to increased support from the public.

"Over the past four years, the social attitude towards corruption has shifted from the realisation of considerable damage caused by corruption to an intolerable feeling [about it]," Pramon said.

"Thais have joined hands to take action for tangible results. This year marks a remarkable year for Thailand as we have seen the public and private sectors reconcile. The two sectors have prominent roles in suppressing corruption effectively."

Noted figures yesterday presented their anti-corruption vision and measures at the ACT's event.

National Security Council secretary-general Thawil Pliensri said human greed was beyond anyone's imagination. He said recent surveys showed that "under the table" money accounted for 20-60 per cent of the cost of projects due to conspiracies by politicians, civil servants and businessmen. It was time Thais united to stop corruption, he said.

"If you want to be corrupt, you should think of low-ranking officials and poor people in the upcountry and you may want to stop corruption," he said.

Commerce Ministry permanent secretary Chutima Bunyaprapatsorn said to prevent corruption in the long run it was vital that people were instilled with good values so they did their job with integrity.

"The anti-corruption job is not optional. Everyone has the duty to clean up the country so that it is free of corruption,'' she said.

Thai Chamber of Commerce president Issara Wongkusolkit said the agency was determined to build a corruption-free society and instil Thais with honesty and integrity.

Federation of Thai Industries president Supan Mongkolsuthee said corruption would not be wiped out if it were not attacked at the root causes and without harsh punishments being imposed.

He said one of the anti-corruption measures was to disclose the names of companies with transparency issues.

Engineering Institute of Thailand president Suchatvee Suwansawat said the agency would like to take part in the fight against corruption with the goal of a sustainable victory.

"If we do not do this part, what does the future hold for our children?" he said. "Corruption is the root cause of every problem. It destroys the dreams of the next generations and stops opportunities being given to competent people who want to bring about innovation for the country.''

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Graft-fight-a-national-priority-30242700.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-07

• Like 2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably well illustrated in Thai Society and on this board by the initial Amnesty Bil corruption supporters vs the initial Amnesty Bill corruption opponents. Some however can only relate colours. Either way there are one third of Thai's no doubt well represented in the marches against the Amnesty Bill who are not corrupt and they now have the leadership in front of them who are prepared to lead against corruption. First time this century there is positive hope.

• Like 1

When he fears that younger people copying the wrong values when they discover that many corrupt officials and politicians get away with it how comes that no action will be taken against Yinluck(till now) and all the Land Department officials on Phlukhet who issued wrong title deeds? Do these people ever think before making such remarks? I doubt it.

Lets face it , this will be an issue in a hundred years time , they don't get it , you can solve some of this corruption but not the grassroots level , even Mum and Dad, Grandad, Sister cousin are in corruption, the population is corrupt, question is how did you change this mind set, all that Thailand has going for it in this area is some of it's Asean cousins are in the same boat.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ok the general sounds good. But will he try to pull in the convicted fugitive and the red bull cop killer?

How about the submarine base? The bomb detectors? The Swedish jet fighters? The current telecoms scams (post-Yingluck and massively dwarfing any wrongs she may or may not have committed in scale - and ongoing).

Ok the general sounds good. But will he try to pull in the convicted fugitive and the red bull cop killer?

Did you ask that question to the last government especially when the foreign ministers cousin had the ministry open during the floods of 2011 to issue a passport to the convicted fugitive?

I don't think that I heard your voice when the Red Bill policeman killer ran away under the lasy government either.

Your question should be addressed to the previous government before this one.

Did you ask that question to the last government especially when the foreign ministers cousin had the ministry open during the floods of 2011 to issue a passport to the convicted fugitive?

I don't think that I heard your voice when the Red Bill policeman killer ran away under the lasy government either.

Your question should be addressed to the previous government before this one.

Nothing compares to the shinaclans government in robbing the country empty. The present government is doing well. But they MUST put the bad leaders in prison for a long time. If not, all they did will be useless and forgotten soon. Lil sis, Chalerm, Tarit and their cronies MUST be put in prison. Their assets should be taken. The bad guy in Dubai MUST serve his time and face many other court cases.

If nothing is done against the top rats, Thailand is lost. The country will be plundered and pillaged more in future because the bad guys know they will never be put away for their crimes. Only in a few lawless countries a drunk driver can kill a policeman and remain unpunished. It's an outrage that the Prayuth government MUST deal with. They can't do all the same time, but an international arrest warrant for the red bull killer will not be as complicated as one for the missunderstood fugitive.

Sondhi committed crime too and got a fair conviction IMO. Yet he is hopping around on bail in freedom. And that is what happened before to big shots. What about Calerm's son? Acquitted from a murder case where there were plenty of eye-witnesses seeing him committing the murder?

If the Prayuth government wants to break corruption as they are doing with small fish now they MUST lock up the sharks. Do they fail to do so, then a later government consisting of rats like the shinas will be back to business as usual.

Prayuth has a difficult task ahead. Fight corruption, reconciliation, do jusitice. Justice means simply locking up criminals. Petty thieves get small sentences. Big ones long.

The anti-corruption job is not optional. Everyone has the duty to clean up the country so that it is free of corruption,''

Just don't file a complaint or tell anyone because you could be charged under the Computer Crimes Act/ Criminal Defamation.....

Again, I'm tired of all the soap box speeches and mafia crackdowns....let me know when someone is sentenced to 20 years in Bang Kwan for corruption or abuse of power. Until then, he sure does make a good entertainer. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

How do you eradicate corruption when it has existed for 100's if not 1000's of years ? Furthermore, those that have evaded prosecution will continue with this practice until they are caught. Corruption is of course deep-rooted, and it will be difficult to alter the mindset of those who accept that this behavior is justifiable in Thai society. Asking an old dog to do new tricks is almost impossible. Therefore it will take a generation of two to dilute this cancer from within. A good start is with the schools, and at home, and hopefully this teaching of basic principles of working hard, and earning money honestly will start sinking in.

Corrupt officials and politicians shouldn't be getting away with it but so many do one way or another.

Send a proper message to youth that your position, family name, connections etc do not protect you from wrongdoing but it will require a sea change in attitudes and Thainess which isn't going to happen anytime soon, if at all.

Corruption in law enforcement and justice system has first to be addressed, that is, in the police force, the OAG and the courts.

• Like 2

IMHO the Thai attitude towards corruption is of tolerance; what's needed to change that is, in my view, education. My feeling is that generally the Thais, perhaps the majority, that are not directly benefiting from corruption don't understand that corruption is a major cause of their inability to improve their lot.

Tackling corruption, I believe, has to start from the top with zero tolerance in the state controlled sector accompanied by the existence of a truly independent judiciary dishing out harsh penalties for convicted offenders. The government is tasked with protecting the populous which surely should include protecting them via the rule of law from what is theft.

Definition is also required; what constitutes 'corruption' and what might be 'unfair trading', right down to what is to be considered mutual 'back-scratching'.

The earliest evidence Quote Investigations found for this type of remark appeared in a syndicated newspaper column by Leonard Lyons in 1962. The popular Oscar-winning actress Celeste Holm attributed the words to an anonymous theatre actor (LLCH): Westinghouse Broadcasting Co. invited a panel of performers including Celeste Holm and Shelly Berman - to discuss the trends in show business. Miss Holm spoke of the vogues in acting and said she heard one actor say: "Honesty. That's the thing in the theatre today. Honesty.... and just as soon as I can learn to fake that, I'll have it made"

Lets face it , this will be an issue in a hundred years time , they don't get it , you can solve some of this corruption but not the grassroots level , even Mum and Dad, Grandad, Sister cousin are in corruption, the population is corrupt, question is how did you change this mind set, all that Thailand has going for it in this area is some of it's Asean cousins are in the same boat.coffee1.gif

More anti-Thai BS.

The grassroots people in this country are not corrupt they have put up with corruption because they have had no choice.

If they wanted something done on an official level they had to grease the wheels, if a cop stopped them they had to reach into their pocket.

The people on the street don't cheat each other nor do they cheat others, sure there are those in tourist destinations or big cities who do for the crooks and cheats migrate to where they think they can find easy targets.

Your funny " the people on the street dont cheat each other"..... go to any village and see how it is!

they can start with a corruption report hotline ?

my so called brother in law (not really, just boyfriend of sister-in-law) ... bought 2 nice 30 million baht houses in hi-so village ... does (did) lobby work for YL , connecting entreprises that would like to get gov. contracts, do i need to say more ?

was so kind to put one house on the girlfriends name and one on his mother's name ... just in case things would get sauer ...

mother in law, loves him ... she loves money even more ... she does not care where it comes from ... not that he has to give money to her, she is more than rich enough being a mia noi of a rich businessman

I have a dream....

...Where the budgets voted for public projects actually end up being used 100% (OK, 80, let's not get carried away) for said projects...

Where the huge holes that were dug in the lovely and wide sidewalks near my place only months after they were finished and for some mysterious purpose which was never achieved, will finally be filled in after more than 2 years of being used as garbage dumps, collecting dead animals, annoying pedestrians and occasionally causing body injuries.

Oh, by the way, on the subject of corruption, here's something I've been wanting to say for months (but keep forgetting) :

Just before the coup, the '200 baht police rackets' on the roads around Pattaya and Jomtien had reached an unprecedented level of hassle, to the point where I used my motorbike only when absolutely necessary, and expected to be stopped at least once or twice if I went anywhere far.

Since the coup, these 'money gathering roadblocks' have all but disappeared. I feel for the poor cops who must now be struggling to pay back the bank loans on their SUVs, big houses, and expensive schools for the kids ... whistling.gif and can only guess that they are now doing police work, how remarkable ! wai.gif

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

No leader will survive long while cleaning corruption out of government. Even Pope John XXIII could not survive the purification of the Vatican. A leader's power is only as lasting and as strong as the power of his supporters. And since many of the powerful hierarchy in any political entity achieved their influence through corruption, they need contimued corruption for their own survival as well as their leaders'. Corruption is as essential to politicians as breathing. If Prayeuth wants to persist in this mission, he'd better watch his back, and never have a meal without a food taster.