Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

Time to suspend democracy , exile Salmond and impose martial law till the rebellion is crushed. None of this Thai pussy footing todh khot stuff - full on English mediaval justice.

http://youtu.be/QiLatwTFUhw

The English or Westminster haven't changed much.

Here we are with the chance for freedom without fighting and half the country forget what our ancestors went through to fight for freedom.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

people seem to forget - this isn't an election, it's a referendum, but either way the vote goes it is one of the most significant DEMOCRATIC events in British history for centuries.

Those who compared this to the process of succession of Ireland have failed to learn anything from history.

What would indeed and in fact might well be an interesting situation is the position of the S.N.P.and its leadership if the outcome of this vote is ''NO.''

Will we see Salomd and his friends working together top heal the rift or will we see the birth of a movement dedicated to Scotland's independence and the using of somewhat more forceful arguments and actions to pursue their cause?

In truth the outcome for these people leading this campaign could be a political nationalistic snake pit irrespective of the votes outcome.

A no vote the political scrap heap a yes vote and of course promises have to be kept and policies pursued indeed a rocky road irrespective of what the result may be.

Be careful for that which you wish for, whichever way you may care to vote..

In the event of a "NO" vote the nationalist will still bang away at the same drum, putting all the blame for everything they don't like on the English, if a "YES" vote and things go belly up, who do you think the Nationalist will blame, themselves or the English?.

I think it's about time the rest of the UK started concentrating about itself and taking care of it's own, we can just stand back and watch in amusement at the chaos that will develop in a separated Scotland. Bring if on.

• Like 1

What would indeed and in fact might well be an interesting situation is the position of the S.N.P.and its leadership if the outcome of this vote is ''NO.''

Will we see Salomd and his friends working together top heal the rift or will we see the birth of a movement dedicated to Scotland's independence and the using of somewhat more forceful arguments and actions to pursue their cause?

In truth the outcome for these people leading this campaign could be a political nationalistic snake pit irrespective of the votes outcome.

A no vote the political scrap heap a yes vote and of course promises have to be kept and policies pursued indeed a rocky road irrespective of what the result may be.

In the event of a "NO" vote the nationalist will still bang away at the same drum, putting all the blame for everything they don't like on the English, if a "YES" vote and things go belly up, who do you think the Nationalist will blame, themselves or the English?.

I think it's about time the rest of the UK started concentrating about itself and taking care of it's own, we can just stand back and watch in amusement at the chaos that will develop in a separated Scotland. Bring if on.

Your view of the Union seems remarkably myopic and jaundiced.....in my experience - and with several examples on this thread alone - it is usually a substitute for any real understanding of what's going on.

If you perceive this as a Scots versus English debate; then you are missing the plot entirely. It's a secessionist versus unionist debate.

The Daily Mail and other rags of that ilk like to make it a "them and us" war as pap for the largely clueless masses. They have been doing that since the FA did away with the Home Internationals, the traditional, annual home of British one-upmanship that the British working man and woman could relate with. Please don't take that as an insult; the elected heads of the current coalition like all their precedents, were similarly asleep at the wheel when it came to appreciating the depth of the Scots desire for a greater self determination. The fact is that the UK government seat is in London but it has moved so far away from representing the greater part of population of the UK including huge tracts of the English bits. You do not have to go too far north of the Watford Gap to feel a distinct dissonance with London's rule.

• Like 1

You need only look at Westminster itself and their 10% pay rise this year to see the folly of this rule. Out of touch with the country?

Meanwhile most struggle by with no rise at all while the City of London bankers pick up six figure bonuses......very nice.

• Like 2

Not as laughable as Whinge over Scotland's paranoia about media bias!

Are you in Scotland or any part of the UK?

Have you, personally, seen or heard any of the BBC's coverage?

Or are you basing your opinion on an anti BBC website?

I'm willing to wager you have spent less time in Scotland during this campaign than David Cameron!

I on the other hand have been to meetings and spoken to plenty of people at ground level....lots of YES campaigners and a few no as well.

Only a few no? you might ask....yes 7by7 only because they are far less visible in towns on Saturday mornings.....this campaign has been running for months already at this level.....and the YES campaign is gaining ground on the basis of talking to people as there is a cat in hell's chance of any kind of fair media representation.

Look at the pictures again and tell me the BBC were representative in their reporting.....oh and Buchanan St willl be full of YES supporters again today....let's see what the BBC make of that!

You do seem to get around chief. According to Nontabury you were recently in the Channel Islands, according to you you were working in Bangkok last week, and where were these meetings you have been to? Glasgow? As well as claiming an encyclopaedic knowledge of Southern England, Greater Manchester, Arbroath and the bars and cafes of Bangkok you say that you spend most of your life in the On Nut beer garden. And still you can do all these posts on here. I don't know where you find the time.

Oh well such is life.....! biggrin.png

The BBC just broadcast an in-depth look at Scotland's historical quest for self determination and chose to kick off with the Scots infamous and ill-planned colonial gamble in the late 1690's. Unfortunately, Scottish traders chose a supremely bad location for their central American port but the real agony was when the London-based East India Company pressured the English King to force both English and Dutch investors to withdraw, thus protecting their monopoly on global trade and ultimately forcing a broke and impoverished Scotland to join the Union.

The Darien scheme is a part of British history but unfortunately for the BBC, in their haste to catch up on said British history for Thursdays 'big day', they frequently refer to the location as being in Paraguay whereas it was in Panama.

And some complain that Americans are piss-poor at geography.

• Like 1

I'm willing to wager you have spent less time in Scotland during this campaign than David Cameron!

I on the other hand have been to meetings and spoken to plenty of people at ground level....lots of YES campaigners and a few no as well.

Only a few no? you might ask....yes 7by7 only because they are far less visible in towns on Saturday mornings.....this campaign has been running for months already at this level.....and the YES campaign is gaining ground on the basis of talking to people as there is a cat in hell's chance of any kind of fair media representation.

Look at the pictures again and tell me the BBC were representative in their reporting.....oh and Buchanan St willl be full of YES supporters again today....let's see what the BBC make of that!

You do seem to get around chief. According to Nontabury you were recently in the Channel Islands, according to you you were working in Bangkok last week, and where were these meetings you have been to? Glasgow? As well as claiming an encyclopaedic knowledge of Southern England, Greater Manchester, Arbroath and the bars and cafes of Bangkok you say that you spend most of your life in the On Nut beer garden. And still you can do all these posts on here. I don't know where you find the time.

Smokie is not the only Nationalist who can be on opposite sides of the planet at the same time.

Awhile back one Nationalist managed to be on the Thai/ Myanmar boarder at the same time as he was attending a Nationalist rally in Scotland.

As for Smokie spending his time in the On-Nut beer garden, I've never seen him there, well not wearing a skirt anyway.

• Like 2

What she actually said was "Well, I hope people will think very carefully about the future." which doesn't seem to me to favour one side or the other.

Its coded, designed to be interpreted either way - but from a woman with her history I know which way I'd be taking it.

I strongly suggest that members stick to the topic and stop making personal remarks aimed at other posters. Suspensions will be given.

Please feel free to hit the report button for off-topic posts and the post and the poster will be dealt with accordingly.

Posts have been deleted.

• Like 2

Not just that, but really, whats the point? Every scottish person on here will have his facebook and twitter account hammered by family and friends back home telling them how it is on the ground. Its also a great bell weather on momentum if im honest. About a month ago it all changed. My mum and aunt started baning the independence drum. My mum is very much apolitical. She cares about one thing at the moment: Why do they keep raising her retirement age. Its driving her up the wall. But these lifelong labour supporters were starting to get annoyed. There was a clear change happening for those perceptive enough to witness it. In the week running up to the Youguv poll last sunday my facebook wall was FILLED with the Saltire and all kinds of quotes loosely connected to independence. And then, come last wednesday and the love bomb intervention and the momentum sort of dropped off. Sure, EVERY SCOTTISH PERSON I KNOW was banging on, but it seemed a little less euphoric and a little more "Come on!!!"

Cue this weekend and once again the tones switched. Its full on again.

Now if you dont have scottish mates, or only a few you could be forgiven for not noticing it and having to rely on jocks in forums to try and explicate it. But its palpable. And its stronger and more determined than you maybe realise. Its not reflected in the papers. They dont really see it at all, or theyre busy trying their damndest to stop what they can see clear as day. The momentum is terrifyingly strong. And its got almost a week left to reach a crescendo. The only way its being halted now is a real deal on the table (unlikely to happen even if the main parties wanted it and weren't just pulling it out of their arse), or if the movement turns ugly and alienates the waverers. That 93% already committed and wont change their minds... i dont honestly think so. Theres a movement taking root. I think after the scare of Thursday and the doubts, people had their think on it. At the weekend though, they realised they wanted it and a lot of them now have their fingers in their ears. I just cant see the No voters having that same drive and commitment on Thursday. Im contemplating the absurd possibility that it might actually be the No voters that bottle it at the polls. My mind is boggled.

The reality is that 7% don't knows are going to make the decision -- that is not democracy :(

Not just that, but really, whats the point? Every scottish person on here will have his facebook and twitter account hammered by family and friends back home telling them how it is on the ground. Its also a great bell weather on momentum if im honest. About a month ago it all changed. My mum and aunt started banging the independence drum (alongside my very radical sister, who im afraid HATES the English :) Something about a Wallace memorial in London. I dunno. Shes the nutter, not me). My mum is very much apolitical. She cares about one thing at the moment: Why do they keep raising her retirement age? Its driving her up the wall. But these lifelong labour supporters were starting to get annoyed and frustrated with the better together campaign and wondering if just maybe the PL werent screwing the over. There was a clear change happening for those perceptive enough to witness it. In the week running up to the Youguv poll last sunday my facebook wall was FILLED with the Saltire and all kinds of 'inspirational' quotes loosely connected to independence. And then, come last wednesday and the love bomb intervention and the momentum sort of dropped off. Sure, EVERY SCOTTISH PERSON I KNOW was banging on, but it seemed a little less euphoric and a little more "Come on!!!"

Cue this weekend and once again the tone has switched. Its full on again. Its back to euphoria and party time. Its a celebration because they really believe its coming.

Now if you dont have scottish mates, or only a few, you could be forgiven for not noticing it and having to rely on jocks in forums or the newspapers to try and explicate it. But its palpable. And its stronger and more determined than you maybe realise. Its not reflected in the papers. They dont really see it at all. Well, either that or theyre busy trying their damndest to stop what they can see clear as day. The momentum is terrifyingly strong. And its got almost a week left to reach a crescendo. The only way its being halted now is a real deal on the table (unlikely to happen even if the main parties wanted it and weren't just pulling it out of their arse), or if the movement turns ugly and alienates the waverers. That 93% already committed and wont change their minds... i dont honestly think so. After the scare of Thursday and the doubts, people clearly had their think on it. At the weekend they realised they wanted it. And a lot of them now have their fingers in their ears. I just cant see the No voters having that same drive and commitment on Thursday. Im contemplating the absurd possibility that it might actually be the No voters that bottle it at the polls. My mind is boggled.

A Very Good post, I suspect everything you say is spot on, now can you give us you're thoughts on WHY more people are deciding on a "YES". For instance are they basing their judgment on facts supplied by unbiased observers, by the Nationalist argument or on what they perceive as the negativity of the "NO" side.

Not just that, but really, whats the point? Every scottish person on here will have his facebook and twitter account hammered by family and friends back home telling them how it is on the ground. Its also a great bell weather on momentum if im honest. About a month ago it all changed. My mum and aunt started baning the independence drum. My mum is very much apolitical. She cares about one thing at the moment: Why do they keep raising her retirement age. Its driving her up the wall. But these lifelong labour supporters were starting to get annoyed. There was a clear change happening for those perceptive enough to witness it. In the week running up to the Youguv poll last sunday my facebook wall was FILLED with the Saltire and all kinds of quotes loosely connected to independence. And then, come last wednesday and the love bomb intervention and the momentum sort of dropped off. Sure, EVERY SCOTTISH PERSON I KNOW was banging on, but it seemed a little less euphoric and a little more "Come on!!!"

Cue this weekend and once again the tones switched. Its full on again.

Now if you dont have scottish mates, or only a few you could be forgiven for not noticing it and having to rely on jocks in forums to try and explicate it. But its palpable. And its stronger and more determined than you maybe realise. Its not reflected in the papers. They dont really see it at all, or theyre busy trying their damndest to stop what they can see clear as day. The momentum is terrifyingly strong. And its got almost a week left to reach a crescendo. The only way its being halted now is a real deal on the table (unlikely to happen even if the main parties wanted it and weren't just pulling it out of their arse), or if the movement turns ugly and alienates the waverers. That 93% already committed and wont change their minds... i dont honestly think so. Theres a movement taking root. I think after the scare of Thursday and the doubts, people had their think on it. At the weekend though, they realised they wanted it and a lot of them now have their fingers in their ears. I just cant see the No voters having that same drive and commitment on Thursday. Im contemplating the absurd possibility that it might actually be the No voters that bottle it at the polls. My mind is boggled.

The reality is that 7% don't knows are going to make the decision -- that is not democracy sad.png

"Democracy is the most deceptive word in the English language" Bob Livingston

Not just that, but really, whats the point? Every scottish person on here will have his facebook and twitter account hammered by family and friends back home telling them how it is on the ground. Its also a great bell weather on momentum if im honest. About a month ago it all changed. My mum and aunt started banging the independence drum (alongside my very radical sister, who im afraid HATES the English :) Something about a Wallace memorial in London. I dunno. Shes the nutter, not me). My mum is very much apolitical. She cares about one thing at the moment: Why do they keep raising her retirement age? Its driving her up the wall. But these lifelong labour supporters were starting to get annoyed and frustrated with the better together campaign and wondering if just maybe the PL werent screwing the over. There was a clear change happening for those perceptive enough to witness it. In the week running up to the Youguv poll last sunday my facebook wall was FILLED with the Saltire and all kinds of 'inspirational' quotes loosely connected to independence. And then, come last wednesday and the love bomb intervention and the momentum sort of dropped off. Sure, EVERY SCOTTISH PERSON I KNOW was banging on, but it seemed a little less euphoric and a little more "Come on!!!"

Cue this weekend and once again the tone has switched. Its full on again. Its back to euphoria and party time. Its a celebration because they really believe its coming.

Now if you dont have scottish mates, or only a few, you could be forgiven for not noticing it and having to rely on jocks in forums or the newspapers to try and explicate it. But its palpable. And its stronger and more determined than you maybe realise. Its not reflected in the papers. They dont really see it at all. Well, either that or theyre busy trying their damndest to stop what they can see clear as day. The momentum is terrifyingly strong. And its got almost a week left to reach a crescendo. The only way its being halted now is a real deal on the table (unlikely to happen even if the main parties wanted it and weren't just pulling it out of their arse), or if the movement turns ugly and alienates the waverers. That 93% already committed and wont change their minds... i dont honestly think so. After the scare of Thursday and the doubts, people clearly had their think on it. At the weekend they realised they wanted it. And a lot of them now have their fingers in their ears. I just cant see the No voters having that same drive and commitment on Thursday. Im contemplating the absurd possibility that it might actually be the No voters that bottle it at the polls. My mind is boggled.

A Very Good post, I suspect everything you say is spot on, now can you give us you're thoughts on WHY more people are deciding on a "YES". For instance are they basing their judgment on facts supplied by unbiased observers, by the Nationalist argument or on what they perceive as the negativity of the "NO" side.

Perhaps its the federalism Gordon Brown spoke of....taken a step further as the people feel their voices will be heard more in an independent Scotland?

What she actually said was "Well, I hope people will think very carefully about the future." which doesn't seem to me to favour one side or the other.

Its coded, designed to be interpreted either way - but from a woman with her history I know which way I'd be taking it.

Her history?

A woman with a Scottish mother who loves Scotland and spends as much time there as she possibly can.

So, Chopperboy, which way are you taking her remark?

Her history?

A woman with a Scottish mother who loves Scotland and spends as much time there as she possibly can.

So, Chopperboy, which way are you taking her remark?

Was the late Queen Mother Scottish? I thought she was born and raised in England.

I'd agree with the elusiveness of the definition of democracy, but let's not beat about the bush -- Scotland is just about to possibly declare UDI. Remember how that worked for Rhodesia? ;)

Having said that -- remember that the Union is based on conquest and coercion -- it was not a happy alliance - check the history books written by Scottish historians. ;) The Scots at that time and since, over the last 300-odd years - in their usual pragmatic way - accepted their situation, but now they have a chance to speak. The ties with England during the last 75-odd years do not lessen their dream of independence. Scottish regiments will make a superb defense force, already in place and ready to help out NATO; EU; etc as needed from day one.

UK made a huge blunder when they forced this YES/NO vote -- devomax would have won the day hands down -- but Westminster MPs' egos got in the way ;) For that reason alone I hope Scotland goes independent and does some serious horse trading during the division of spoils. Westminster needs a serious lesson - they are not going to be holding all the aces (taxation) for long. Come on Cornwall, Yorkshire, et al -- go for devomax for the regions and strip Westminster of it's much abused power! w00t.gif

P.S. Catalonia, Brittany and others can do it too ;) The EU will change if all the members are smaller, and there's lots of them ;)

• Like 1

Some quotes removed to comply with forum software

Was the late Queen Mother Scottish? I thought she was born and raised in England.

Much of her childhhod was spent in England, but her family are Scottish.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother was the mother of Queen Elizabeth II, the present British sovereign, and the widow of King George VI.

She was born the Honourable Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon on 4 August 1900 (fourth daughter of Lord Glamis, later 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne) and spent her early childhood at St Paul's Waldenbury in Hertfordshire, north of the capital. This was the country home of her parents.

The Bowes-Lyon family is descended from the Royal House of Scotland. One of The Queen Mother's 14th-century ancestors, Sir John Lyon, became Thane of Glamis, home of Macbeth 300 years before, and Glamis Castle is the family seat.

Source

Perhaps the Bowes-Lyon's preferred to live south of the border; just as so many of their fellow Scots do today!

Edited by 7by7