Refused exit from Thailand.

Are you suggesting that after passing through numerous police checkpoints between Kanchanaburi and the 3 pagodas pass border, that you were challenged by a corrupt cop for a bribe right at the border when no-one was looking? Oh, come on. What are the chances?...5555

Are the bribe posts not yet offensive to the moderators now that is has been established it was not the I/O's intent? Sounds like Thai bashing to me.

The guy thought it was a bribe attempt, and decided to share the experience. He may be right; he may be wrong. Others here may know better, or not. Stop trying to censor the guy. If you think he's all wet, just say so and let it go. Contrary to what some seem to think, one's credibility isn't established by the level of insult & disparagement.

• Like 2

The crossing at Three Pagoda Pass is open to Thais and Burmese only.

I've crossed there, but only on a 1 day visa given to me at the border. There was a small fee, a photo taken, and a one sheet visa paper issued. Had to return before midnight. We just went to shop in the border town.

And that option does not exist anymore.

whistling.gif What was your tourist visa in Thailand.

A single entry tourist visa to Thailand is just that.

One entry and one associated departure.

If that was the case your tourist visa to Thailand ended with that one exit from Thailand.

If you didn't have a entrance visa for Myanmar you possibly not be allowed to enter Myanmar.

And when you left Thailand you ended your Thai visa at that point.

When you got a Thai exit stamp on a single entry tourist visa that ends your single entry tourist visa.

The guy thought it was a bribe attempt, and decided to share the experience. He may be right; he may be wrong. Others here may know better, or not. Stop trying to censor the guy. If you think he's all wet, just say so and let it go. Contrary to what some seem to think, one's credibility isn't established by the level of insult & disparagement.

Sorry, no. He may not be right, since that is not an exit point from Thailand (or better, entry point for Myanmar).

The only way you can enter Myanmar at Three Pagodas is a 'day entry' visa which only permits you to go a couple of hundred meters, and you must return to Thailand.

If you have a visa issued by the embassy it may be different, but there is no 'visa on arrival' issued at that point.

Last time I checked there was a $10 visa fee. Those hunting stamps in their passports love it.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 2

The only way you can enter Myanmar at Three Pagodas is a 'day entry' visa which only permits you to go a couple of hundred meters, and you must return to Thailand.

If you have a visa issued by the embassy it may be different, but there is no 'visa on arrival' issued at that point.

Last time I checked there was a $10 visa fee. Those hunting stamps in their passports love it.

I don't think that is possible there. That is the same amount you pay at the 4 crossings where you can do it.

At the other crossing you can clear Thai immigration. Then pay 500 baht or $10 and get stamped into Myanmar. Then get stamped out and re-enter the country.

The only was to clear Myanmar immigration at Three Pagodas is if you have a visa from their embassy.

I don't think that is possible there. That is the same amount you pay at the 4 crossings where you can do it.

At the other crossing you can clear Thai immigration. Then pay 500 baht or $10 and get stamped into Myanmar. Then get stamped out and re-enter the country.

The only was to clear Myanmar immigration at Three Pagodas is if you have a visa from their embassy.

That's EXACTLY what I said Ubon Joe. We agree.

Perhaps my para 3 should have been para 2 when I edited? The $10 visa fee was for the 'day entry visa' which only permits one to go a few hundred meters.

Edited by F4UCorsair

How many visa runs had you done in the last few months?

1 entry about 2 weeks before. The one before that was at least 6 months. I was actually just going into Myanmar for a quick look at a Mon village before coming home. It didn't bother me, just strange. I'm sure he was pointing at his wallet, there was no-one within sight (Thai or otherwise) and he looked surprised when I turned around. w00t.gif

If he keeps that up someone will report him to The General and he will be holding his ass after that. There seemd to ne no limit to the corruption in this country.

That's EXACTLY what I said Ubon Joe. We agree.

Perhaps my para 3 should have been para 2 when I edited? The $10 visa fee was for the 'day entry visa' which only permits one to go a few hundred meters.

That used to be possible but since about 1 month or so is not any more. Either a full Myanmar visa, or no entry is the case now.

I am aware that the 3 pagodas pass periodically opens and closes, depending on conflict; and is now permanently closed. I checked with the Police at Sangklaburi and it was definately open at the time. The hotel staff were stunned when I told them what had happened. And no, this wasn't "in my imagination". Have any of you actually been to that particular border crossing, or are just google experts?

OK, so let's just state facts. You had no Myanmar visa, no day pass, and did not look if indeed was possible to get one, correct ?

But based on what you interpreted as a request for a bribe, instead of asking how much and for what, you had a sudden rise of pride and decided to travel all the way back to Bangkok to take a flight instead, correct ?

And then that pass is surely closed "now", but it was open back then, even if it is not said when.

Totally incorrect.Where the hell did you get that info from?!.

I was staying in a hotel in Sangklaburi and mentioned to the owner that I was going to 3 Pagodas Pass to take some photos. He told me that the border had been open for 2 days, and why don't I go over and get some photos in the village. He took me to the police station where I got a day border pass. The next day I went there and photographed around the 3 pagodas. I mentioned my plans to a young cop and he assured me all was well. I was sitting right near the border crossing finishing a bowl of noodles when an older cop stood beside me. I looked up and he was literally rocking on his heels and said "You can't cross the border". I said "Ok I'll leave", picked up my bowl, stood up and looked at him before walking off. He looked frozen and totally perplexed, like "I wasn't expecting that". When I got back to the hotel they asked to see my photos and I told them what happened. They were gobsmacked, made some calls and said the border is still open. I don't know what happened and don't care. Money, authority, thought I was doing a visa run? Whatever. The suggestion that he was looking for a bribe came from the Thais themselves, as there was no other explaination. I then returned to Bangkok, picked up my WIFE and SON AS Planned, and we came home.

Please keep to the topic "Refused exit from Thailand", and not "How to do a border crossing". Has anyone else been refused exit from Thailand (or any other country), and on what legal basis?

Oh, and thanks for telling me all about myself; as if I didn't know. And again, you are totally WRONG!

• Like 1

The suggestion that he was looking for a bribe came from the Thais themselves, as there was no other explaination

As has been pointed out to you many, many times already on this thread: that border crossing is closed, so that is the only explanation. for his behaviour. He refused you because you would not have been allowed entry into Myanmar.

Your info is plain and simply wrong.

The suggestion that he was looking for a bribe came from the Thais themselves, as there was no other explaination

As has been pointed out to you many, many times already on this thread: that border crossing is closed, so that is the only explanation. for his behaviour. He refused you because you would not have been allowed entry into Myanmar.

Your info is plain and simply wrong.

Oh Lord, you're kidding me. It is closed, now. It was open and I had the right paperwork. Which part is so confusing. Open...O P E N

• Like 1

Oh Lord,you're kidding me. It is closed, now. It was open and I had the right paperwork. Which part is so confusing. Open...O P E N

One small detail more. You did not showed your border pass, did not mention you had one, but you actually were happy enough to surprise the guy with silently renouncing to cross. Correct ?

Oh. I forgot. My THAI Wife and Son!

Oh come on now...... how do you expect us to believe all you have written and then you left Thailand ....... and "forgot my Thai wife and Son." ????

You were so worried that someone wanted a bribe, that it upset you so much you forgot your Thai wife and son ???? whistling.gif

Hope you left them some lunch money at least.

Oh. I forgot. My THAI Wife and Son!

Oh come on now...... how do you expect us to believe all you have written and then you left Thailand ....... and "forgot my Thai wife and Son." ????

You were so worried that someone wanted a bribe, that it upset you so much you forgot your Thai wife and son ???? whistling.gif

Hope you left them some lunch money at least.

What are you ranting about? I forgot to mention in the previous post that my wife and son are Thai. I didn't forget them in Thailand.

• Like 1

Oh For gods sake. It was open. Were you there? I was right at the border and it was Open. The Border Police told me it was open. Can we get back onto the Topic?

Ok so it was open. I have asked two questions above, you want to answer them?

The Three Pagodas Pass is popular with tourists, who are allowed to obtain a one-day visa from the Thai side to visit Payathonsu. Attractions on the Burmese side include wooden furniture, jade carvings, and textiles. Thai tourists are allowed in as of 2011, while other tourists are not due to the status as a temporary border checkpoint which only allow a day trip between two neighbor countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Pagodas_Pass

Perhaps related to the idea of being refused exit from a country:

A good number of years ago, I'd just finished working for one year with the appropriate one year visa in Japan. However, as a result of initial timing and a few days before leaving, I was actually there for 53 weeks.

Airport in Tokyo and I was refused by Japanese immigration of leaving Japan. I was "without a visa" and therefore could not leave. Eventually, they issued me another full one year visa (working) so that I could actually get on the plane back to my home country.

Weird, as with that visa, I could have walked out of the airport and remained in the country for another year, legally, and found myself another job!

I know the Three Pagodas border is variable, but years past, I have managed day trips across just to look about the Mon village.

Oh Thank-You JusMe. Finally someone who knows what he (or she) is talking about.

• Like 1

The crossing at Three Pagoda Pass is open to Thais and Burmese only.

I've crossed there, but only on a 1 day visa given to me at the border. There was a small fee, a photo taken, and a one sheet visa paper issued. Had to return before midnight. We just went to shop in the border town.

And Thank-you. Another one who has actually been there physically, and not in their dreams.

• Like 1

From an airport it is the airlines responsibility to check that you can enter the country you are traveling to.

In your case at the crossing they were aware you could not enter Myanmar and get stamped for an entry there. If you returned back to Thailand they would have to cancel your departure to allow your re-entry without entering another country.

There have been reports of them not allowing people to leave if they were not be able to re-enter because of to many visa exempt stamps at the Mae Sai crossing because there is no where you can go from there unless you had a visa for Myanmar.

When they first started the visa exempt rule enforcement they were denying people departure and they were given 7 day extensions at several crossings.

At Mae Sai On the other side of the border ..Tachileik in Burma, you can apply for a 14 day visa into Myanmar. there is only one road that goes some 300 km up to Mong La at the chinese border. Lits of Check points on the way.......halfway that road there is a town caled Kengtung. they have a aiport and you can fly from there into Rangoon. I have been there many times on off road trips with my Jeep, up to the Chinese border at Mong La.....the Chinese have replaced the old adventurous road and have build a sort of a Highway from Mong La to Tachilek. It used to take me 2-3 days to go there now it takes a few hours.....

On the other hand, they don't allow foreign cars anymore past the perimeter of Tachilek +/- 20km....you have to take a guide now, (a Spy !!) and pay his salary, meals and hotel costs.....I spend some of the most adventurous times of my life on that road....15 years ago.......If you enter Mianmar this way they keep your passport, to make sure you come back the same way in 14 days.....????

Lots of things have changed now. and not for the better...

• Like 1