More young UK teachers set to head this way - Thailand

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are so many of you being negative? They are not here to change the world. They're here to provide students with exposure to a foreign language. Any exposure to the language is a good thing regardless of the duration.

I agree with phosphorescent .... There is nothing negative about this program. Gives young people from both countries great exposure to each other and encourages both learning and teaching.

As a teacher here I can understand where some of it, the negativity, may be coming from. We work long and hard hours for very little money and it is a constant struggle with the government to obtain the visas and permits we need.

When we bump into this much praise being poured onto teachers of English in Thailand, it can be frustrating to not see a mention of all us that are teaching here day after day and year after year.

• Like 1

Why are so many of you being negative? They are not here to change the world. They're here to provide students with exposure to a foreign language. Any exposure to the language is a good thing regardless of the duration.

TEFL teachers do that every week not just for 9. And we are being put through the ringer, many unable to meet the ever changing regulations and rules.

I trust the term "ringer" refers to the top head count for shearing sheep in Australia??? Not the wringer which squeezes the liquid out ??

• Like 1

What a shame the Thai Ministry of Education can't work to develop a program to utilize retired farangs living in Thailand as volunteer English teachers....there is potentially a huge pool of available English speaking people ready willing and able to at least assist in helping kids practice speaking and understanding spoken English...but most are scared off by the ridiculous requirements for work permits required to even volunteer for FREE.

Nine weeks with some UK university kids is better than nothing but what happens when the nine weeks are up and they leave....retired farangs properly organized and utilized could be a major asset to Thai schools.

It can be done 12 members of the Pattaya City Expats Club teach English in local schools, this is done with the agreement of the local authorities, so there is no problem with work permits etc. They do an excellent job.
Would be a good idea to add to the O visa that that if you are from a English speaking country as a first language ten you are able to teach here. It would enable married farangs with children to help supplement their income here. A tefle cert would be needed too.

This would provide I suspect long term teachers too not the usual one year or less short time in Thailand types.

We would of course have to be careful about some with very strong local dialects,???

""Not only does the programme enable the development of English speaking and comprehension among Thai students but it also gives English teaching assistants the chance to gain valuable international work experience, learn Thai and integrate into Thai communities.""

It's taken me 28 years and still not fully integrated.

• Like 1

My old University sends some of it's undergraduates on this program, as far as I am concerned it is an opportunity for students to experience Thailand, teaching in Thailand and to broaden their life experience. Whilst the program is only 9 weeks, I am pretty sure that both the undergraduates, schools and the kids benefit from it. Lot's of negativity, as it was last year when this was mentioned.

So you wouldn't agree that young learners need consistency then?

No i don't think these programs have a negative impact. They are supplement not a replacement. Seems like a lot of bitter people around todsy.

• Like 1

They are here to provide cheap labour for the schools and nothing more. There are here to replace people that have been teaching here for years but don't have a BA in Education even though they are only performing speaking classes. They are here so the schools can save money and in turn put it in the back pocket. They are here so the students can be deprived of consistency in their learning (9 weeks) They are here because they are young and pretty and very likely, white. They are here so the British Council can make money. They are here without work permits and most likely the wrong visa. They are here because they are a quick fix for a system that has gone oh, so wrong .

To those of you who say, what harm will they do, they will delay the need for real change in the education system. Why address it today when we have these freebies for 3 months. We will have another look at it then. And so it goes on............. bah.gif

You seem to think that every school in Thailand has the resources to hire English-speaking teachers. Have you been to any poor rural schools where they can barely afford chalk? Would you deprive students at these schools the opportunity to hear NESs speaking when it is offered for free when the alternative is no exposure at all? Or perhaps you have examples of how these '9 week' volunteers have stolen the jobs and therefore livelihoods of teachers at schools in which they have been sent?

Yes, since you ask I have experience.

Two of these 'teachers' did a nine week stretch at my local girls school. The school has already got a MEP programme and 9 foreign teachers. There are at least 25-30 rural schools in my area and none of them, I repeat none of them were approached. These 'teachers' are based in towns and cities that have comfortable rooms and a reliable internet. There is no way any of them are going rural so don't try saying I am denying these kids an opportunity. I, in fact, teach for free in my local rural school during the school holidays.

The two 'teachers' in question were thrown in at the deep end in the girls school and told to teach classes whilst the Thai "English' teachers enjoyed another one of their many free classes.

If the rural schools were getting a slice of this, I would say 'bring it on.' However they are not..........

• Like 2

You seem to think that every school in Thailand has the resources to hire English-speaking teachers. Have you been to any poor rural schools where they can barely afford chalk? Would you deprive students at these schools the opportunity to hear NESs speaking when it is offered for free when the alternative is no exposure at all? Or perhaps you have examples of how these '9 week' volunteers have stolen the jobs and therefore livelihoods of teachers at schools in which they have been sent?

Very weak argument! Not many folks here that aren't very aware of poor rural schools.

It is great to give these UK students the exposure to Thailand and nice for kids to be exposed to them. That's really the end of the story.

If you think these UK students are here to give poor rural students exposure to native English speakers you may be a tad ... Mmmmmm, wrong.

What about all the Chinese Students here to teach the rural poor? The ones I know are teaching a full curriculum of Chinese in private schools at a fraction of the cost to the private schools. My son can't seem to locate a Chinese teacher nor an English teacher at his poor city school ...... I wonder where they reallocated the 55k baht a month subsidy the government gives them to hire the NES?

The schools these students teach at are for profit businesses making business decisions. It's our job to teach and it's their job to make money so we can. Let's enjoy the helping hand and call it a day.

Very weak argument! Not many folks here that aren't very aware of poor rural schools.

It is great to give these UK students the exposure to Thailand and nice for kids to be exposed to them. That's really the end of the story.

If you think these UK students are here to give poor rural students exposure to native English speakers you may be a tad ... Mmmmmm, wrong.

What about all the Chinese Students here to teach the rural poor? The ones I know are teaching a full curriculum of Chinese in private schools at a fraction of the cost to the private schools. My son can't seem to locate a Chinese teacher nor an English teacher at his poor city school ...... I wonder where they reallocated the 55k baht a month subsidy the government gives them to hire the NES?

The schools these students teach at are for profit businesses making business decisions. It's our job to teach and it's their job to make money so we can. Let's enjoy the helping hand and call it a day.

I wonder where they reallocated the 55k baht a month subsidy the government gives them to hire the NES?

Can you please give me a source for this ...please............ thanks.

I don't think 9 weeks is sufficient to teach and learn. It is not even enough to get used to the accent of the teacher. Another program run by crooks. Why not give them a semester to do it??

As you say, it is only exposure with no impact at all.

Crooks? Surely the English government must be paying for this. My take is it is good for the kids, fun for the Thai's and good PR for the Brits.

As long as you are right and they don't pick up the accent, what harm is there?

Not only does the programme enable the development of English speaking and comprehension among Thai students but it also gives English teaching assistants the chance to gain valuable international work experience, learn Thai and integrate into Thai communities.

All this in just 9 weeks, or say ''around 1512 hours as no sleep is taken so as to amass such a vast range of knowledge one presumes.''

Indeed a classic statement worthy of the brothers Grimm and their fairy tales.

Surely the locals will be impressed by those "hundreds of UK students and recent graduates" who get the chance to practice their skills on an apprehensive audience ?

Not really a topic I know much about (if any), but I'm reminded of the good old days when 'we' had the moral duty to educate the less fortunate and so.

Putting away all this bantering, can someone tell me how effective those 9-weeks are, having someone who can speak English as a Native and having didactic skills as well. Is it only mostly good for the teachers and somewhat for the others or can those nine-weeks have some real effect ?

Edited by rubl

They are here to provide cheap labour for the schools and nothing more. There are here to replace people that have been teaching here for years but don't have a BA in Education even though they are only performing speaking classes. They are here so the schools can save money and in turn put it in the back pocket. They are here so the students can be deprived of consistency in their learning (9 weeks) They are here because they are young and pretty and very likely, white. They are here so the British Council can make money. They are here without work permits and most likely the wrong visa. They are here because they are a quick fix for a system that has gone oh, so wrong .

To those of you who say, what harm will they do, they will delay the need for real change in the education system. Why address it today when we have these freebies for 3 months. We will have another look at it then. And so it goes on............. bah.gif

Yes, since you ask I have experience.

Two of these 'teachers' did a nine week stretch at my local girls school. The school has already got a MEP programme and 9 foreign teachers. There are at least 25-30 rural schools in my area and none of them, I repeat none of them were approached. These 'teachers' are based in towns and cities that have comfortable rooms and a reliable internet. There is no way any of them are going rural so don't try saying I am denying these kids an opportunity. I, in fact, teach for free in my local rural school during the school holidays.

The two 'teachers' in question were thrown in at the deep end in the girls school and told to teach classes whilst the Thai "English' teachers enjoyed another one of their many free classes.

If the rural schools were getting a slice of this, I would say 'bring it on.' However they are not..........

That's 2 out of 195, who in reality did what they were sent to do by taking over classes taught by Thai English teachers. If they had taken over classes already taught by foreign English teachers to give them extra free periods, that would be a different story, but they didn't according to your post. Can you account for the other 193 and confirm that none of them ended up in underprivileged schools?

K

TEFL teachers do that every week not just for 9. And we are being put through the ringer, many unable to meet the ever changing regulations and rules.

If you're really a TEFL teacher, what's the mistake in your sentence?

wink.png

Educate me .. you know you want to!

I'm thinking you are referring to my typing 9 rather than nine!

But I will await your valuable input, obviously stressing the fact that THIS is an informal forum and not a Cambridge test.

No, however it works both ways. Soooooooo.......... can you give any accounts of these 193 attending a rural school? I await your response indicating locations and numbers. Thanks.

As you wish.

Schools which have benefited from the program-

Total number of schools: 173

Located in Bangkok: 45

Located in other provinces: 128

Government schools: 104

Private schools: 56

Vocational education colleges: 13

Also, here's a link to a list of blogs (98) from 98 of the participants which includes pictures and descriptions of the schools they were sent to.

http://www.tetprogramme.org/tet-2014-blogs/

Edited by phosphorescent

I asked about rural schools. Figures please? Thanks.wai2.gif

No, however it works both ways. Soooooooo.......... can you give any accounts of these 193 attending a rural school? I await your response indicating locations and numbers. Thanks.

As you wish.

Schools which have benefited from the program-

Total number of schools: 173

Located in Bangkok: 45

Located in other provinces: 128

Government schools: 104

Private schools: 56

Vocational education colleges: 13

Also, here's a link to a list of blogs (98) from 98 of the participants which includes pictures and descriptions of the schools they were sent to.

http://www.tetprogramme.org/tet-2014-blogs/

K

wink.png

But I will await your valuable input, obviously stressing the fact that THIS is an informal forum and not a Cambridge test.

'TEFL teachers do that every week not just for 9. And we are being put through the ringer, many unable to meet the ever changing regulations and rules.'

There are a number of mistakes in those 2 sentences, which should really be one.

1 No comma after 'week'.

2 Starting a sentence with a conjunction such as 'And' is usually seen as grammatically incorrect, although it

can be used for effect. This is not the case here. I'd probably start the second sentence with 'Also' or 'Furthermore'.

3 It's not 'ringer', it's 'wringer' ...

4 It would be better to add 'with' before 'many' in the second sentence, or add 'being' after 'many'.

Yes, I am a REAL English teacher, not a nine-week wonder - and I really hope you don't teach English here ...

post-12849-0-20398300-1410279024_thumb.j

Edited by Mister Fixit

K

wink.png

'TEFL teachers do that every week not just for 9. And we are being put through the ringer, many unable to meet the ever changing regulations and rules.'

There are a number of mistakes in those 2 sentences, which should really be one.

1 No comma after 'week'.

2 Starting a sentence with a conjunction such as 'And' is usually seen as grammatically incorrect, although it

can be used for effect. This is not the case here. I'd probably start the second sentence with 'Also' or 'Furthermore'.

3 It's not 'ringer', it's 'wringer' ...

4 It would be better to add 'with' before 'many' in the second sentence, or add 'being' after 'many'.

Yes, I am a REAL English teacher, not a nine-week wonder - and I really hope you don't teach English here ...

And I'm chatting on an informal forum were i didn't think grammar Nazis were allowed. But anyway I'm glad your a REAL teacher presumably on REAL wages! I suspect you wouldn't work for 40k per month!

And if i was a qualified teacher I wouldn't either but I'm a TEFL speaking / listening teacher not a subject teacher. Anyway have fun in your job, I do every day.

• Like 1

Not only does the programme enable the development of English speaking and comprehension among Thai students but it also gives English teaching assistants the chance to gain valuable international work experience, learn Thai and integrate into Thai communities.

All this in just 9 weeks, or say ''around 1512 hours as no sleep is taken so as to amass such a vast range of knowledge one presumes.''

Indeed a classic statement worthy of the brothers Grimm and their fairy tales.

Surely the locals will be impressed by those "hundreds of UK students and recent graduates" who get the chance to practice their skills on an apprehensive audience ?

Not really a topic I know much about (if any), but I'm reminded of the good old days when 'we' had the moral duty to educate the less fortunate and so.

Putting away all this bantering, can someone tell me how effective those 9-weeks are, having someone who can speak English as a Native and having didactic skills as well. Is it only mostly good for the teachers and somewhat for the others or can those nine-weeks have some real effect ?

I dunno about efficacy. I dont think thats the remit here. It's probably closer to the stated objectives of the Japanese English Teaching programme: internationalization.

The aim will be to provide a teacher to, I ASSUME, those parts of Thailand where schools are simply too poor or too remote to attract your local tefl backpacker. The community gets an event, the teacher gets a life-changing perspective. Everyone is happy. And at the end of their placement, they probably get a month or so to tour Thailand and SE Asia as well. Sounds all jolly good British colonial paternalism. :)

Then again, perhaps im wide of the mark. I havent even read the OP. If its just sending people to random schools in BKK or near the beaches, what is the <deleted> point?

http://www.tetprogra...tet-2014-blogs/

Definitely some interesting tales here...for those who think the thai kids get nothing from this exposure to a bunch of young brits try reading several of of these first hand accounts .Sure it is easy to pick some of it apart but overall it certainly seems to me that both the student teachers and the thai kids got some good exposure to each others cultures, language, etc.

I also think it's great for a lot of the thai high school kids to get to meet and observe some farangs closer to their ages than the typical teachers seem to be.

Criticize as you will but I still think 9 weeks is better than nothing and I suspect the thai kids (and the teachers) would pretty much all say it was a memorable experience and everyone involved LEARNED some new things to include a bit of English.

I continue to think that the thai kids need some farangs around to practice speaking/understanding the English language. Only teaching reading/writing/grammar alone is never going to result in much significant language skills.

I wish there were MORE of these type programs and as previously stated I also wish the Thai Education ministry would enable retired farangs to volunteer at the local schools without all the work permit BS.

I think the same effect would have been accomplished by putting a bunch of Thai kids on a weekend camping trip with a bunch of English-speaking kids. Let's just cut out the part about teaching English blah blah blah and we would be fine. Interaction aplenty when kids get together. Learning about each other's cultures? Sure.

Of course, that wouldn't look good for the press releases.

• Like 1