What banks will allow a foreigner on visa exempt to open an account?

I just today tried Siam commercial bank and also TMB bank. But all they could say was "we need a passport and work permit".

So how and where can I go to open an account? How do people open a savings account to hold money so they can apply for retirement visas?

Note I am currently here on 30 day vis exempt.

Edited by RichardThailand

Say you need the account to wire money from abroad. This is what I did and it worked first attempt with Kasikorn. Then I went to Thanachart to open one for my GF (Italian, same situation as me) and I said that Kasikorn will open it if they don't. They said to bring her in, opened it, no question asked.

Keep going from one bank to another. It can easily happen that even one branch office of the same bank in the same city refuses, and another one accepts.

The Bangkok Bank will open an account for you, if you come with a proponent, who already has an account with that bank. You may also present papers of your upcoming retirement, and state that you need to have an account to be eligible for an extension of stay based on retirement.

This comes up all the time and the answers dont change. bangkok bank provide an ATM account specifically for tourists. you just need resident proof (I used hotel receipt) and copies of passport. Kasikorn Bank neat T21 are also well known for giving atm accounts for tourists. TMB will give a bank account without WP if you can prove income from abroad but is best to have someone with you to persuade them as the default is often a simple no (and particularly if their English isnt good which means they dont want the aggro of going through options with a farang).

As of today- The UKForex site is offering 31.96 Baht for the US$

Bangkok Bank for a TT transfer is 31.87 and they will give you a few extra (Is satsong the term) so about 31.9 or so if you ask.

So at least for today, the two services seem very close to equal.

Is there something else I need to understand here to know the "real" cost?

Hi Thailiketoo,

What is the advantage of a direct deposit account?

And does that mean it is an account that accepts your money from overseas?

I have now one Baht account, one US$ account, and one Yen account since I lived in Japan for quite a few years.

It's the only way you can get SS from the USA deposited in a Thai bank first. You can have it deposited to a US bank account and then withdraw but that costs extra ATM or wire charge money. With a direct deposit account from Bangkok Bank (only Bangkok Bank) the SS money gets there about the same time it would have gotten to a US account 5th of the month.

I was able to open an account with Kasikorn.It was in a Korat.I am hearing with the new IRS law for Americans banking in other countries.Iam hearing it's getting hard.

No. No new problems. Sometimes you are asked to fill out a W 9, I think it is. A1A insurance asked me to fill out one recently as the law also covers some life insurance accounts. The same banks are still opening accounts as were always opening accounts.

I have opened accounts at 3 different banks. Krung Thai in Dec 2013, on 30 day tourist stamp, Kasikorn 3 weeks ago and Bangkok Bank today on 90 day visa. Each bank required a Thai national as reference. Had fiancés brother in law for first account, wife for last two. Each bank is in Surin. Some people are going to ask "why 3 banks? Here's why! In Surin, Krung Thai seems to have better ATM access with no fees. Kasikorn I will use for online bill pay. Bangkok Bank for international transfers from US, lower fees, plus they had lowest debit card fee. Of the three, Bangkok Bank had the fastest service. Better English speaking staff and separate foreign exchange counter.

• Like 1

There is no definitive list.

Just keep trying different banks, different branches and even different staff in the same branch.

You will get one eventually.

Yes, banks are like Immigration Offices, some will do this and some won't. They just love the power over people.

Bangkok. Terminal 21

I also had no luck with SCB in Terminal 21 a few weeks ago, despite having had an account with them years ago which they closed arbitrarily due to inactivity.

However, I went across the passage to Kasikorn and eventually managed to persuade them. It's standard for them to spout the visa and WP line at first but if you insist that you need the account in order to deposit necessary retirement funds, they will do it. Just keep pressing.

i did try to open a account with UOB Phuket last year, i was holding tourist visa then...

i had a yacht stored in Phuket and often come here most of the weekend with friends (even i already moved out of this island to Singapore…..)

when i walked into UOB in Phuket town, i asked if i could open a saving account. The bank manager request my passport and work permit

i told them i am on holiday here and my visa is a tourist visa. i was instantly rejected. She politely explain to me the banking rules in Thailand

i was quite disappointed, i really believed her …..now that i have read this forum, i guess some bank will let you and some will not.

i will try a few difference banks next time i come up here

Thanks